moklerman is offline Registered User

James Harris trivia help

I stumbled across this picture of James Harris and wondered when he wore #11? I always thought that he wore #12 while with the Rams. Did Haden ask for the number when he was drafted? Anyone know the story of why Harris went from #11 to #12?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails James Harris trivia help-jamesharris.jpg  

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: James Harris trivia help

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    I stumbled across this picture of James Harris and wondered when he wore #11? I always thought that he wore #12 while with the Rams. Did Haden ask for the number when he was drafted? Anyone know the story of why Harris went from #11 to #12?
    What a great question. I couldn't find anything, but I'll bet you're right about Haden asking for number 11. I wonder what a number change request was worth back in those days?

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Re: James Harris trivia help

After three years with the Bills, "Jimmy" (or "Jim") Harris joined the Los Angeles Rams in 1972 and became "James" Harris.

A characteristic of all Chuck Knox-coached Rams teams in the 1970's was a quarterback controversy. Indeed, Harris would split playing time with John Hadl, Ron Jaworski, and Pat Haden in this merry-go-round. After an up-and-down year in 1976 in which he had the highest passer rating in the NFL (89.8%) and the best individual performance of his career with 436 yards passing in a win against the Miami Dolphins, he was also at the helm when the Rams suffered their first regular season shut out in Los Angeles Coliseum history at the hands of a weak San Francisco ***** team. Harris spent the last games of the season on the bench.

In early 1977 he was traded to the San Diego Chargers to make room for Joe Namath (and to free up his #12 jersey for Namath). When he left the Rams he had the highest career completion average of any quarterback in team history (55.4%) and had been an integral part of four straight NFC West Champions. Jolted by the trade and his confidence gone, he played three years for the Chargers without much success and his career petered out at the end of the 1979 season.
    James Harris trivia help-jharrisla.jpg
    Doesn't answer the initial query, though.

James Larnell Harris (born July 20, 1947) is a former NFL quarterback and currently the general manager and vice president for player personnel of the Jacksonville Jaguars
    Maybe someone over in Jacksonville could answer that.... Maybe
    RnD

GO RAMS!!