Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: James Laurinaitis

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

James Laurinaitis

I know JL and MLB is not our biggest need or issue right now. Meanwhile every time I watch the Rams play JL is not impressing me... I think he is soft at the point of attack and is often blocked too easily, yesterday he was controlled by Vikings fullback about all the time.
    JL get a big contract and I was expecting a lot more from him this year, his stats are good but I did not see enough impact plays. He looks better in coverage than defending the run.

What do you think about that ?
    Is it because of new scheme in defense ?
    Does he have a "down" year after signing his new contract ?
    Is he lacking strength to shed blocks ?
    Can a new SLB could help him ?

Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: James Laurinaitis

I think the new defense is ruining him. We now play more of a tampa 2 D. That requires your MLB to have the ability to drop back in coverage and cover the seams a lot more often. JL even said he lost about 10-15 lbs (Cant remember the exact amount) in the off-season so he could move better. Its certainly looking like he lost some muscle/strength.

Hopefully its just a little slump and he'll pick it up soon.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

First of all, JL has 104 solo tackles, which ranks first in the NFL. So I think the "JL is having a bad season" stuff is kind of silly.

What fans are correctly noticing is that JL's "impact plays" (i.e. TFL, sacks, Int., FF, FR, passes defended) are a bit down. I think that is partly due to the fact that the safety play (particuarly FS) has been poor and, as a result, the Rams can't afford to have JL selling out to try to make big plays in the backfield.

Whatever you think of his performance, one thing can't be denied. He is the the "QB of the defense." On many plays, he looks like Peyton Manning before the snap - barking out signals and moving players around to adjust to the offensive scheme. Given the fact that the Rams' defense has improved in pretty much every aspect of the game from 2011, I think you have to give JL some of the credit.

I don't worry about JL. He's the type of player who will always work to improve.

Hopefully, next year he'll have a better SLB and safeties helping him so he can focus on making more impact plays.
    Varg6, Jonze, Aussie Dave and 1 others like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I like JL a lot. The thing that we don't know is when and often does he get caught out of position?

Fastcat is offline Registered User

JL has never been strong at the point of attack, and loosing 15lbs cant help at all EIther

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Laurinaitis was never considered a "hard hitter". Now after losing 10-15lbs one can wonder why he's been getting blocked out of plays.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Why is it dogs continue to eat paper?

I guess they just don't know any better.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Why is it dogs continue to eat paper?

I guess they just don't know any better.
    Ah yes...the good ol' subtle attempt at mockery.

Look here kids! We got funny guy over here!
    sosa39rams and ZiaRam like this.

I did not know about the weight loss. I'm not really saying "JL is having a bad season" but more the fact I'm a bit disappointed by some aspect of his game, I was hoping more impact plays from him. I was not talking about stats but more what I saw during games.

Let's hope with more time in the new D and upgrading safety and SLB positions could help JL step up into "All Pro" player.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Hmm, that's interesting. Jay-Z, do you have any thoughts on this?

Jay-Z: The Rams got 99 problems, but middle linebacker ain't one!

Thanks for that input, Mr. Z.
    ZiaRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AV
    He is the the "QB of the defense."
    Which is exactly why some fans want to point fingers at him. Some fans don't like what they see in the offense, but don't know exactly how to diagnose what they see, so.......just blame the QB. Same thing on defense. An opponent doesn't get shut out, but the fan isn't exactly sure why......blame the defense's QB.

Laurinaitis leads the league in solo tackles. Kuechly is the only MIKE with more total tackles.

Yea, but HUb, look at JL's sack total. He only has 1 sack.

True. And the top MIKE in the league only had 3 sacks. That's like trying to gauge a FB by how many rushing yards he has. Good to see, but far from indicative.

Yea, but HUb...but HUb...what about his pass coverage. He only has 1 interception.

Again, the top MIKE in the league only has 3. The fact that JL has even 1 puts him in 4th place.

The MIKE directs the defense, and gets to the ball carrier. They don't typically rush the passer. They don't typically haul down passes. Could JL improve his game? Yes, just like the other 52 members of the roster.

There's plenty of things that need to be fixed on the defense.....both Safeties, at least one OLB, youth & experience, an offense that will keep them off the field for longer than 3 plays, etc. But I honestly think trying to pin MIKE as a position that needs to be addressed is not the way to go.
    AvengerRam, live4ramin and ZiaRam like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mh-i is offline Registered User

I do know that Gore ran over him one on one twice the 2nd game against the 9ers. He's still not anywhere near the Rams biggest concern on defense but I do think Rams fans over rate him.
    Torry Holt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    I do know that Gore ran over him one on one twice the 2nd game against the 9ers.
    You mean that game when JL had 10 solo tackles and Gore was held to 58 yards and a 2.5 yards/carry average?

I'm surprised they didn't bench him in that game.
    ZiaRam likes this.

I do not understand your reactions guys. I was just trying to express my opinion about one of our player, and I started my thread by saying than JL is not our biggest problem. I was trying to have other opinion than mine on this player, nothing more. I did not say we need to release JL or find another MLB.
    Since three years I have seen almost every Rams games and I think JL is not having his best year, and I don't care about stats, it's just what I saw during games. I started this thread because, particularly during the Vikings game, JL was manhandled by Vikings fullback on various plays. I know AP is a beast and could run 200 yards against anybody so that was not my main concern.

But I must have forgot something, don't start a thread if you don't have more than 3000 posts or if you don't own the truth... Stop being so cynical.

Quote Originally Posted by Torry Holt View Post
    But I must have forgot something, don't start a thread if you don't have more than 3000 posts or if you don't own the truth... Stop being so cynical.
    Um... yeah...

You chose to start a thread criticizing JL. What exactly did you expect? Did you think everyone would just say, "you're absolutely right!"

Nobody is taking away your right to have, or to express, your own opinion. But you're not enhancing your position by crying about disagreement and then blaming it on the fact that you have less than 3,000 posts.

Besides... to be ALWAYS right, you have to have at least 15,000 posts.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast