Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Jamie Martin and the "Bad Throws"

I think some people need to cut martin some slack. did he make some bad throws? sure. so does bulger when he is in the game. Keep in mind the timing issue which is made much worse with holt out of the game. The drops really hurt martin, they helped create more long yardage situations. Three on his own for mcdonald and a big one from curtis. He made some nice reads and had some nice dump offs for first downs. Our field position was terrible all day and we couldnt run the ball with any kind of consistency.

I am not suggesting that martin is great, merely that he was adequate and there is not taking away from the fact that he got the job done. Find me a single backup qb that is going to do better with lousy field position, key drops, missing his first two all pro wide receivers and no running game.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Re: Jamie Martin and the "Bad Throws"

and a big one from curtis.
    Bad placement on the ball on that one. That was a tough catch to make. Martin had more room on the inside of Curtis, he should have placed the ball there. It's difficult to make the catch on your shoulder.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I dunno. Martin didn't throw the interceptions we saw last week (though he nearly did with that overthrow of Cam Cleeland), and yes Bulger does make some poor throws as well, though I'd suggest his are more along the lines of throwing a pass into tight coverage, whereas Martin's poor throws today were more about missing wide open receivers. I wasn't impressive by Martin, but I see no reason to clamor for Fitzpatrick just yet.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Jamie Martin and the "Bad Throws"
    Sounds like the name of my new band.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

general counsel is offline Registered User

In terms of missing open receivers, i hear you loud and clear, just that i couldnt tell whether it was martin or the receivers in some cases or a combination of both. Again, i am not saying he is great or even good, only saying adequate under the circumstances. I am certainly not comparing him with bulger, they are not on the same planet talent wise. Martin will look better with a better running game if we can manage it so we are not in long yardage so often. I dont think a completely unproven rookie is the answer at this point. I think we all can agree that if we dont get bulger back, we are going nowhere.

I will also say this. I thought that the play calling was pretty good in the sense that we modified the offense a bit given martins limitations. We had good success on play action and the offensive line gave him pretty good time. Should be interesting to see if he gets better next week.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Martin surprised me.

Hopefully, we get a big "W" next week, too!

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    I will also say this. I thought that the play calling was pretty good in the sense that we modified the offense a bit given martins limitations.
    I agree with the play calling along with Martins play they never tried forcing it like they do with Marc. I think that Martin did a good job of not trying to force it when it was not there even when they started off 14-0. As far as his passing I think he is limited and below average.

I would still love to see what Fitz could do. He looked like he could throw better then Martin in preseason. I know a lot can be said for a veteran QB that just manages the offense but Fitz has more zip on his ball and can scramble when he needs to. Part of that is my anxiousness to see the rookie before Bulger comes back and we don’t get to see him again until Bulgers next injury, which may or may not be along time. I would like to know if Fitz is our future QB should Bulger go down for a long time. If he were not then it would be good to find out. The team has given young QBs a chance here before when the starter goes down Bulger was one of them.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -10-23-2005 at 07:14 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well, as long as he continues to improve!

We can't afford to stay in a rut, especially in the passing game. :football:

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    I would like to know if Fitz is our future QB should Bulger go down for a long time. If he were not then it would be good to find out.
    I agree, but I don't think we need to start making those experiments facing must-win games for this season.

RealRam is offline Registered User

I don't think we need to start making those experiments facing must-win games for this season. --NickS
    Agree 100%. Hopefully Martin is losening up to make this next game his career best. He's done his time as a reserve, a back up. Has done his share of mistakes, costly ones too!

Time to let all that QB experience come through, to shine, for a change.

Off topic: I was 'disconnected' this week from most of the Rams' activities, events and news. So sorry to hear about Little's brother.

Are we expecting Torry Holt back Vs. Jaguars? :clanram:

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    Are we expecting Torry Holt back Vs. Jaguars? :clanram:
    Most of us were expecting him today versus the Saints, so I'm hoping he's back next week.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    and yes Bulger does make some poor throws as well, though I'd suggest his are more along the lines of throwing a pass into tight coverage,
    You never miss a chance to stick up for Bulger. I like Bulger as well but I think he could take something away from Martins game and that’s if you don’t have it don’t throw it especially into triple coverage like Bulger has a tendency to do. Minimizing turnovers was what the coaches did with Martin today.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -10-23-2005 at 09:16 PM.

bruce_wannabe Guest

what about bruce???? any word on him coming back or are they going to wait until after the bye week

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Fitzpatrick should be in there if he's comfortable with the offense. He did look alot better than Martin in preseason thats for sure! Martin doesnt know all the offense either but, rest assured with MM out they will never use it all anyhow! He looked good in preseason! So why not?............Or do we/.........What he came in and played lights out?..........Then we would have another Warner Bulger debate all over again!Only it would be Bulger.....Fitzpatrick!........Its the only sure way not to create a controversy!

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_wannabe
    what about bruce???? any word on him coming back or are they going to wait until after the bye week

They are doing the right thing by holding him out until he's healthy........cant wait until he gets back though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast