Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: janoris jenkins

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Re: janoris jenkins

Does he need to improve? Heck yes, on all the things mentioned. However he seems to have a high football IQ. Dont forget he is a rookie and no doubt in my mind he will improve. Skys the limit for this guy.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not blaming Jenkins for this entirely because I don't know if its him or the coaching staff at fault
    Of course you do. If Jenkins had decided to do that on his own, the coaches would have pulled him off the field.

But they didn't.......because Jenkins lined up where he was told to line up.

If a team is going to bring both safeties into the box, they can not have their CBs playing bump-and-run on their man. That's a recipe for a quick TD.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Of course you do. If Jenkins had decided to do that on his own, the coaches would have pulled him off the field.

But they didn't.......because Jenkins lined up where he was told to line up.

If a team is going to bring both safeties into the box, they can not have their CBs playing bump-and-run on their man. That's a recipe for a quick TD.
    Actually go and watch the video on NFL.com of Fisher being miked up. He curses and then immediately takes Jenkins out of the game after he gets beat by Manningham on a 3rd down then has a discussion about whether or not they should put Jenkins back in the game. Thankfully they did put him back in and he made a huge play in scoring the game tying TD but we are still allowed to criticize a player if he repeatedly hands teams first downs.

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    Actually go and watch the video on NFL.com of Fisher being miked up. He curses and then immediately takes Jenkins out of the game after he gets beat by Manningham on a 3rd down then has a discussion about whether or not they should put Jenkins back in the game. Thankfully they did put him back in and he made a huge play in scoring the game tying TD but we are still allowed to criticize a player if he repeatedly hands teams first downs.
    First, we're ALWAYS allowed to criticize players around here. But we must do so with from a factual perspective.

As to the video. I watched it, and I'm not seeing the interpretation of the video that you are. Manningham's last catch before the Jenkins TD was a 4 yard pick up on a 3rd and 9 with 9:26 left in the 4th quarter. The Jenkins TD was over 6 minutes later at the 3:11 mark.

Now, I'm not real sure why Fisher would pull him out after forcing a 4th down on Manningham's short catch. That just wouldn't make a lot of sense. And, honestly, I didn't hear the swearing either. Maybe I just missed it.

What I believe the edited video is doing is showing Fisher's decision to keep Jenkins in for what appears to be a running down over the larger bodied Johnson. I say this because the entire series for the whiners had been running plays. And at 3rd and 3, a running play would make more sense for Kaepnerick.

I'm just not seeing anything in the video that would lead me to believe that Fisher pulled Jenkins out of the game for not lining up where he was supposed to.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

I watched the game again yesterday. Jenkins was not the only CB being criticized by the announcers for playing off. Cortland Finnegan was also questioned for playing soft when he gave up an easy catch.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    First, we're ALWAYS allowed to criticize players around here. But we must do so with from a factual perspective.

As to the video. I watched it, and I'm not seeing the interpretation of the video that you are. Manningham's last catch before the Jenkins TD was a 4 yard pick up on a 3rd and 9 with 9:26 left in the 4th quarter. The Jenkins TD was over 6 minutes later at the 3:11 mark.

Now, I'm not real sure why Fisher would pull him out after forcing a 4th down on Manningham's short catch. That just wouldn't make a lot of sense. And, honestly, I didn't hear the swearing either. Maybe I just missed it.

What I believe the edited video is doing is showing Fisher's decision to keep Jenkins in for what appears to be a running down over the larger bodied Johnson. I say this because the entire series for the whiners had been running plays. And at 3rd and 3, a running play would make more sense for Kaepnerick.

I'm just not seeing anything in the video that would lead me to believe that Fisher pulled Jenkins out of the game for not lining up where he was supposed to.
    At 1:27 in the video Fisher clearly says f*** after Jenkins is beat for a first and then says "Tru go in for Jenks". I don't think he is swearing and then subbing out Jenkins immediately because of a successful 3rd down stop. Right after that Fisher has a discussion where he says they should put Jenkins back in for Johnson and let him "be a man". The coaches wouldn't be having that discussion unless they were previously disapointed in Jenkins play. He is a rookie and he is going to make some mistakes but having the corners playing several yards off on 3rd down has hurt the Rams defense many times this year, most notably against the Packers, and I think this criticisim is certainly fair.

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    At 1:27 in the video Fisher clearly says f*** after Jenkins is beat for a first and then says "Tru go in for Jenks". I don't think he is swearing and then subbing out Jenkins immediately because of a successful 3rd down stop. Right after that Fisher has a discussion where he says they should put Jenkins back in for Johnson and let him "be a man". The coaches wouldn't be having that discussion unless they were previously disapointed in Jenkins play. He is a rookie and he is going to make some mistakes but having the corners playing several yards off on 3rd down has hurt the Rams defense many times this year, most notably against the Packers, and I think this criticisim is certainly fair.
    Again, every player on this (or any other) roster is worthy of criticism. But I don't think this video shows Jenkins going off script and lining up different than the coaches have called for. I've re-watched the video numerous times, and I have to disagree with your assessment in several areas.
    At 1:27 in the video Fisher clearly says f*** after Jenkins is beat for a first and then says "Tru go in for Jenks". I don't think he is swearing and then subbing out Jenkins immediately because of a successful 3rd down stop.
    Fisher clearly says something that gets blipped out, and Jenkins is the only identifiable player between the camera and the subject of the video, Jeff Fisher. There was a whiner player and an additional Ram that panned across the shot, but that's about all we can infer from that particular segment. I'm not sure that we can conclude from that information all the things you've concluded. If, in fact, that play involved Jenkins giving up a 1st down pass, then it could be no later than 11:27 mark in the 4th quarter. That is the last passing 1st down the whiners had until the safety some 8+ minutes (off the clock) later. And if Fisher was displeased with Jenkins at that point, it must have been extremely short lived, because after the "conversation", he's back on the field at the 8:47 mark (as seen on the video) which was exactly 3 plays after the 1st down.
    Right after that Fisher has a discussion where he says they should put Jenkins back in for Johnson and let him "be a man".
    Fisher: What are we....what are we going to do here? You wanna talk to 21? Tell him to go eyes up and make a play?

Asst.: Yea.

Fisher: Or you wanna leave 22 in there?

Asst: I want 21 to go back in there and be a man.

Fisher: Tell him to go man up and make a play.

Now, is this two coaches disappointed with some aspect of Jenkins game on some particular play? Maybe. Of course, he could have just been debating between isolation coverage from the corners or zone coverage. Both "eyes up" and "man up" being common terms for isolation coverage.

But if Jenkins were doing something so blatant as lining deeper than the coaches called for, would he not be pulled for longer than just 2 plays?
    He is a rookie and he is going to make some mistakes but having the corners playing several yards off on 3rd down has hurt the Rams defense many times this year
    And who is it that is "having" them play off? Jenkins? Or the coaches?

Again, if the safeties are in the box, then the corners are not going to be in press coverage. That's begging to get burnt deep. The corners HAVE to play off in that situation.

But if the safeties are not in the box, and Jenkins is playing off just because he feels like it..........then giving him a 2 play breather is not enough punishment.

So which is it?
    Last edited by HUbison; -12-09-2012 at 09:33 AM.

bradwill is offline Registered User

I sort of agree with both viewpoints here. Seems to me like the coaching staff didn't like where Jenkins happened to line up there with the soft cushion that they had been going with for most of the game and maybe Jenkins in fact was too far off Manningham on that one particular down?

I chalk it up to JJ playing where they wanted him to be on most downs and then simply making a mental error and laying-off too much in that situation and the coaching staff not real happy about that at the moment.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The video has nothing to do with a passing play, you cen tell they are annoyed because JJ has got too caught up with a blocker on a run play and the play is further downfield.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234