Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By berg8309
  • 1 Post By THOLTFAN81

Thread: For Janoris Jenkins, 'accountability' is the key .. Article

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

For Janoris Jenkins, 'accountability' is the key .. Article

CB has legit talent, but the risk is there for the Rams.

By Matt Bowen
    May 02, 2012

Janoris Jenkins can play some football. You could see that when he was at Florida (before he was dismissed from the team) and during his senior season at North Alabama. The same can be said for Jenkins’ week of practice at the Senior Bowl.

Janoris Jenkins has legit talent, but he needs to act like a pro to succeed in the NFL.

The best DB I saw on the field down in Mobile—and plenty of pro scouts agreed with me.

He moves like a pro corner. Smooth feet to go along with the confidence in his technique. Turn on the tape and it’s easy to be impressed with his skill set.

The character issues? Those are a concern. Because for as much ability as Jenkins has on the field, his actions off of it lead to questions.

But talent still sells in the NFL. And although he did slide down some draft boards, the Rams invested a second round pick in the CB.

Moving forward, Jenkins has to realize that he isn't on scholarship anymore. There are no bed checks in the NFL and it isn't the job of the coaching staff or the veterans to take care of him. You don't do that with pro ball players.

Those days are gone; replaced by expecations to conistently produce and contribute to wins on Sundays.

Jenkins is now a paid professional. And with that comes a degree of accountability every player has to follow. Act like a pro or get cut. It can be that simple. I saw too many players with real talent during my career turn into "busts" because they didn't treat the game with respect.

We all know the Rams took some risk here drafting the CB. But I would have done the same thing to be honest. Just too much natural ability to ignore. And finding cover corners in the draft isn't as easy as it sounds

Playing in the NFL is a sweet gig and the paychecks are nice. The best job out of college you can get. And I hope Jenkins realizes that, because he can play for a long time if he handles his business on and off the field.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: For Janoris Jenkins, 'accountability' is the key .. Article

Maybe he needs an accountabilibuddy

Rambos is offline Registered User

I would like to see this contract, you can bet the there will be verbiage to cover his off the field concerns.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I would like to see this contract, you can bet the there will be verbiage to cover his off the field concerns.
    It's probably the standard player contract, as it has provisions that disallow certain activities. I doubt he needs a special one that says he isn't allowed to smoke pot, it's illegal, most likely the contract covers it in some way, although I haven't looked at the nfl's standard player contract since law school.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Pulling for ya 21. Prove me right. My favorite pick of the 2012 draft class.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Is that ex-Ram Matt Bowen?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Is that ex-Ram Matt Bowen?

In the 2000 NFL draft, Matt Bowen was drafted in the sixth round by the St. Louis Rams. He earned St. Louis’ Rookie of the Year award after starting at strong safety in two contests and appearing in 16 regular season games. He also saw action in the Ram's Wild Card playoff at New Orleans. He finished the season with 21 tackles (15 solo) and two passes broken up. He also recorded 21 special teams tackles to tie for the club lead.