Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Janoris Jenkins is he worth the risk?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Janoris Jenkins is he worth the risk?

Quote Originally Posted by J-RodRamFan View Post
    If anyone doubted during the video, they didn't get to the 4:00 mark.
    That's the truth! The first time I watched this video and I have to say first time, I have watched it more then a few... I guess I made some noise as my wife came from into my man cave and thought I a hart attack! Then she said what are you listen too... Just Rams stuff dear...

macrammer is offline Registered User

How much risk is there for a team that has been absolutely woeful. We need something to shake things up. This could be quite a catch for us.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Yes hes worth the risk.

We had three second round picks. Three!!!

If were going to take a risk in the second round it would be choice to have other picks in the round to cushion the blow if he doesnt pan out.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I like the pick, but i wouldnt get too excited watching him play on video against that level of competition. It bears no correlation to what he will play against in the nfl.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

100% worth the risk. Janoris can be whatever he wants. I think we're all well aware of his amazing skill set and football talents. If he wants it, he could be a top 5 CB in the league. The only knock on the kid is smoking weed... Not a big deal. Plus the things he will learn from Finnegan who is a very similar CB, and the benefit of having Long and Quinn rush the passer? We'll be a top 10 D next year for SURE.

THE DREAM TEAM

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Only time will tell.

On the plus side, he will "only" cost 2nd rd money if he screws up. On the negative side, as someone said in an earlier post; "you can't fix stupid" and these things usually do not turn out well. Let's hope he's not stupid.

You know what irks me about guys like this? ....and it was touched on in an earlier post as well. The attitude that "he's just a kid making stupid mistakes, but with his talent, who cares if he gets into a little trouble now and then?" THAT is the kind of thinking that gets into these kids heads while they're being pampered and told all their life how great they are. They figure they're above the law, and that rules, proper behavior and decent moral conduct is something someone with their skills needed worry about. They're way above all that. Money, and their reputation as the star athlete in the end will get them out of trouble.

But it doesn't work that way. ...or at least it shouldn't. I just hate it when I hear and see people want to look the other way because the guy is so talented. Talent or not, this guy should be kept on a short leash. One screwup with the law and I'd send him packing. And I'd let him know that right up front.

Let's hope this kid has grown up, takes responsibilty for his mistakes (takes care of his children) and doesn't repeat the same mistakes with the law in the future. He has the world at his feet if he can keep his act together and surround himself with the right people.

IF he pans out and keeps his nose clean, and I hope he does, this will be the steal of the draft in my opinion. If not, and he becomes another pacman or Haynesorth, kick him to the curb and move on.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Only time will tell.

On the plus side, he will "only" cost 2nd rd money if he screws up. On the negative side, as someone said in an earlier post; "you can't fix stupid" and these things usually do not turn out well. Let's hope he's not stupid.

You know what irks me about guys like this? ....and it was touched on in an earlier post as well. The attitude that "he's just a kid making stupid mistakes, but with his talent, who cares if he gets into a little trouble now and then?" THAT is the kind of thinking that gets into these kids heads while they're being pampered and told all their life how great they are. They figure they're above the law, and that rules, proper behavior and decent moral conduct is something someone with their skills needed worry about. They're way above all that. Money, and their reputation as the star athlete in the end will get them out of trouble.

But it doesn't work that way. ...or at least it shouldn't. I just hate it when I hear and see people want to look the other way because the guy is so talented. Talent or not, this guy should be kept on a short leash. One screwup with the law and I'd send him packing. And I'd let him know that right up front.

Let's hope this kid has grown up, takes responsibilty for his mistakes (takes care of his children) and doesn't repeat the same mistakes with the law in the future. He has the world at his feet if he can keep his act together and surround himself with the right people.

IF he pans out and keeps his nose clean, and I hope he does, this will be the steal of the draft in my opinion. If not, and he becomes another pacman or Haynesorth, kick him to the curb and move on.
    I'm with you 100%, RFRH. Quite frankly, I'm alarmed at the number of people who are quick to dismiss Jenkins' transgressions and sing his praises. As you so rightly pointed out, most of these cases don't turn out well. I've said it before: only good teams have the luxury of taking a flyer on a player with a checkered history. If a perennial loser does it, it sets them back even further if it doesn't work out.

He wound up at North Alabama for a reason. Did anyone hear him interviewed on ESPN after he was selected? He was not well spoken and came across poorly. At this juncture, I have to trust Fisher's judgment, but I'm more than a little concerned.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

With the fortuniners seemingly ready to go pedal to the metal with the additions of Moss, Mannigham, AJ Jenkins, and LeMichael James, we would've been foolish not to address our secondary and it's need for people who can cover.

This is the main reason why it was more important to have Claiborne over Blackmon IMO. Even though we passed on Claiborne, I believe we picked up the 2nd best cover man in the draft. His "character concerns" notwithstanding, not only is he worth the risk, but he along with Trumaine Johnson were a must.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    OK. He's a potential problem. I'll concede that. Please name (other than Pacman, who did play well for several years), another "problem talent", with tremendous upside, who ended up a bust due to his lesstrhan stellar history.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

poejoe8 is offline Registered User

Wow! That's a lot of speed! He's gotta stay clean off the field, it would be such a waste if he doesn't take advantage of his situation. You just know he would have been at the top of this draft if he had stayed out of trouble before this. Let's pray he realizes his God-given talent and everyone benefits. Time will now tell.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    OK. He's a potential problem. I'll concede that. Please name (other than Pacman, who did play well for several years), another "problem talent", with tremendous upside, who ended up a bust due to his lesstrhan stellar history.
    Off the top of my head, Lawrence Phillips?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Did anyone hear him interviewed on ESPN after he was selected? He was not well spoken and came across poorly. At this juncture, I have to trust Fisher's judgment, but I'm more than a little concerned.
    I actually took the interview as the kid is soft spoken. Sure he wasn't Mr. Harvard well spoken, but there are many players in the NFL who are great players who aren't that "well spoken".

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Honestly, if that 's all you can come up with, my point's made.
    And there's quite a bit of difference between a #1 pick, and what is (essentially a free) 2nd rounder.
    The upside FAR exceeds the risk.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Did anyone hear him interviewed on ESPN after he was selected? He was not well spoken and came across poorly. At this juncture, I have to trust Fisher's judgment, but I'm more than a little concerned.
    What does not speaking well and coming across poorly got to do with playing football? Just in case u didnt realize, but we have many sub cultures in america and that effects dialogue. He's not trying to be a news anchor!
    THOLTFAN81 and Rammed like this.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

I'm excited about this pick & while the level of competition he played against in the video may not be up to the NFL, He has speed & there is no substitute for speed. And the fact the way he comes up to support the run defense, just awesome. Looking forward to him in a Rams uni.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast