Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Janoris Jenkins is he worth the risk?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Janoris Jenkins is he worth the risk?

I strongly agree with fastcat on this point. Speaking "well" as it is defined in an academic or mainstream sense is not a criteria for success in the nfl. He can be a hard working guy in his profession without being well qualified as a public speaker.

I think his improvement over the year at north alabama speaks volumes to his chances to overcome his past issues.

I sure wish the mods would find a way to post that note from the seahawks fan who videotaped janoris all last year for northern alabama as a separate thread so it would be easy for people to read.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eneral Counsel View Post
    I think his improvement over the year at North Alabama speaks volumes to his chances to overcome his past issues.

Ramming speed to all

General Counsel
    Sure hope so! And it may indeed be likely. This kis has got to realize that so many people -- fans included, of course -- recognize his potential and wish him well!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Yes he is worth the risk.

He was busted when at Florida, and was kicked off the team. But I don't remember any off the field incidents happening at North Alabama. He had a no tolerance policy with North Alabama and didn't break it. He also did not test positive for any drugs at the combine. He hasn't exactly been known for going out loads and hanging out with an entourage in clubs.

And sure, he has four kids with three different mothers. But is having kids a bad thing? I hear some people suggesting that this could be a distraction, but it hasn't been so far.

When trying to review Jenkins' off the field incidents, I read a few articles that suggested him switching agents before the draft was a cause for concern, as was him working out on his own without a trainer or nutritionist. Really? REALLY? How are they causes for concern? It's not like Jenkins showed up at the combine and his private work outs out of shape

From watching his interviews around the draft, Jenkins seems annoyed with the people that keep talking about off the field issues. He has agreed to sign up to a sports advisory agency as recommended by Jeff Fisher. And he has a good cadre of teammates around him that will help guide him in life. Steven Jackson is great off the field. As is Cortland Finnegan (which some of you may be surprised to hear).
    THOLTFAN81 and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Honestly, if that 's all you can come up with, my point's made.
    And there's quite a bit of difference between a #1 pick, and what is (essentially a free) 2nd rounder.
    The upside FAR exceeds the risk.
    Isn't that the point though? Those talented players that make bad decisions are never heard from again. They fade away and are forgotten.

Let's turn it around. How many players with Jenkins' red flags have gone on to be stars?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Isn't that the point though? Those talented players that make bad decisions are never heard from again. They fade away and are forgotten.

Let's turn it around. How many players with Jenkins' red flags have gone on to be stars?
    Antonio Cromartie and Travis Henry had multiple children with different mothers and had good NFL careers. Henry was a pro bowler, but hardly a star, but Cromatie is still playing and still playing well.

Trent Richardson just got drafted #3 overall despite having fathered two children by the time he was 17, the first when he was just 15

Ricky Williams has five kids by three different women and has had major issues with smoking marijuana in the NFL, resulting in a year ban. But he still rushed for over 10,000 yards in the NFL.

Randy Moss had his enrollment at Notre Dame rescinded after a fight. So he went to Florida State, where he was kicked out for testing positive for marijuana and violating his probation. He ended up at Marshall. He then went on to be one of the best WRs to ever play the game.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Antonio Cromartie and Travis Henry had multiple children with different mothers and had good NFL careers. Henry was a pro bowler, but hardly a star, but Cromatie is still playing and still playing well.

Trent Richardson just got drafted #3 overall despite having fathered two children by the time he was 17, the first when he was just 15

Ricky Williams has five kids by three different women and has had major issues with smoking marijuana in the NFL, resulting in a year ban. But he still rushed for over 10,000 yards in the NFL.

Randy Moss had his enrollment at Notre Dame rescinded after a fight. So he went to Florida State, where he was kicked out for testing positive for marijuana and violating his probation. He ended up at Marshall. He then went on to be one of the best WRs to ever play the game.
    So then, two. Williams and Moss.

The kids aren't the big red flag here. It's certainly a financial distraction that he will have to deal with; but you don't get suspended from the NFL for having kids.

Smoking weed on the other hand......

Williams & Moss have both had productive careers, but those two anecdotes are most surely overshadowed by all the talented kids that made poor decisions and blew their career. There's more than enough Matt Jones, Claude Wroten, Tony Mandarich, Brian Bosworth, Lawrence Phillips, Charles Rogers, Adam Jones, and countless other kids that had all the talent to make it, but not enough gray matter, to at least make folks nervous about Jenkins.

Having said all that, I will assume Fishead did their due dilligence (and all indications are they did) to come to some symbol of assurance that this kid's silliness is behind him. If so, then we got two first round picks this year.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Let's just see on Jenkins. If he stays off the weed like he says he has, then he will work out great

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Let's just see on Jenkins. If he stays off the weed like he says he has, then he will work out great
    Absolutely! If he stays clean, then he's a top 10 pick. On talent, he is supposedly on par with Morris Claiborne. Just think about that! How awesome would it be to come out of this draft with Michael Brockers and "Morris Claiborne"?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I'm with you 100%, RFRH. Quite frankly, I'm alarmed at the number of people who are quick to dismiss Jenkins' transgressions and sing his praises. As you so rightly pointed out, most of these cases don't turn out well. I've said it before: only good teams have the luxury of taking a flyer on a player with a checkered history. If a perennial loser does it, it sets them back even further if it doesn't work out.

He wound up at North Alabama for a reason. Did anyone hear him interviewed on ESPN after he was selected? He was not well spoken and came across poorly. At this juncture, I have to trust Fisher's judgment, but I'm more than a little concerned.
    I'm alarmed at the number of people who are quick to dismiss Jenkins' transgressions and sing his praises.

Dismiss his transgressions... really? He's a kid that has made some poor choices. He hasn't committed a violent crime. Does he have a record?

As a business and football is a business, that's the risk factor. Will he continue to make poor choices that could effect his play and this team in a negative way? That's the question the Rams had to ask themselves. They feel very strong that he will be fine. The Rams have a solid locker room, that will support the kid.

and sing his praises
    Not sure one person on this board has sung his off the field choices in his personal life.

As a Rams fan I don't care what these guys do in the off season and on their off days for that matter. I don't care which hot girl Bradford is dating this month or if Chris Long went duck hunting in the off season. I just want to know they care about playing hard and have put in the work. Their personal life is their personal business, including religion, lifestyle, ect. It's not a crime to have 10 kids buy 10 women, that's his business as long as he supports them.

Lets keep this in perspective he's a young man, lets hope when we look back 10 years from now he has done more good off the field then on.. I know when I was in my twenty's I did not always make the smartest decisions like must young people.

As I'm writing this on the DP show Peter Kings just said he liked the pick of Jenkins and the Rams could only make that pick IF they had moved back from six... which some continue to criticize.

Like all draft picks only time will tell if we hit or missed.

The Rams clearly thought he was worth the risk.

He's a kid that has made some poor choices. He hasn't committed a violent crime. Does he have a record?
    To be fair, I believe he was twice arrested subsequent to a public fight, and once for resisting arrest after being tased.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    Yes, I think he was worth the risk. He's that good. But I definitely do have my concerns. Kids who made mistakes, got in with the wrong crowd, made poor decisions; you can help them to see the light and lead them to the right path. But can you really ever correct stupid? Some people will continue to do stupid things no matter how much positive support they have. Let's just hope that Jenkins is not stupid.
    It ultimately will come down to the choices these kids make from here on. I think the selection of both Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson (may as well include Johnson seeing as he's one of the taser brothers), says a lot about Coach Fisher. Fish has had the opportunity to talk to both guys at length, and obviously believes in his ability to coach em up in all areas - including off the field. I believe this to be a well calculated risk based on his overall experience as a successful and respected head coach over the years. No risk, no reward .. Fish obviously believes in these kids and certainly in his own abilities. When you think about it, this is probably as good a chance for these kids to succeed in the NFL as they could possibly get. One thing is sure, Fish isn't Scott Linehan, and I have no doubt he'll apply/insert his "boot" liberally if needed. If that isn't enough, surely Jeff can afford a taser ..
    Last edited by MauiRam; -04-30-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    Rambos and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I'm already getting sick of people acting like they are superior and would personally never do such a thing so the Rams shouldn't have drafted him. The first time he screws up at all, the whining will be deafening.

Pacman Jones was a problem because he was an idiot who wanted to show the world he was an idiot. I don't care if Jenkins smokes in the privacy of his own home. I hope he does a better job of hiding it.
    Fettmaster and Tampa_Ram like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    To be fair, I believe he was twice arrested subsequent to a public fight, and once for resisting arrest after being tased.
    Ok I did not know that but I'm sure the Rams FO did... does not change my opinion of him as a kid that needs some guidance and needs to grow up and become a better man. Only time will tell if the risk was worth the reward. I for one hope he gets his act together...

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

If you like sports because you want athletes to be good people, stop watching sports. Because no team at no time will be 100% stocked with perfect, moral citizens. Basically, you can criticize Jenkins' "transgressions" all you want, and you can conceive your own criteria for what makes a person worthy to play for the Rams, or any other team all you want. But we don't know these athletes. Just because you follow a twitter account doesn't mean you can judge a person's character. You have no idea if there is already someone on the Rams roster with a worse past than Jenkins. Jenkins just got caught.

So why do we care if a man who's had a couple misdemeanors plays for the Rams? This is professional sports. I don't root for a player to stay faithful to his wife, or to donate to charities. I root for a player to get the job done on the field, period. Anything outside of that purview is pointless.

Jenkins is well worth it.
    Last edited by Fettmaster; -04-30-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

The smart thing to do, for Jenkins and the team, is have a group of people advise Jenkins. Sit with him, advise him financially, stuff like that.

I always wondered why a team like the Chargers never paid for Vincent Jackson to have a driver

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast