throwback week

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Janoris Jenkins is he worth the risk?

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: Janoris Jenkins is he worth the risk?

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I am sick and tired of having guys in our secondary that couldnt cover a pregnant woman in a phone booth.
    We haven't had a real good cornback since Williams.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Yes he is worth the risk, pure and simple. Every draft pick is a risk.

He likes weed, its not like the weed is going to give him an advantage on the field or anything like PED's(yes im looking at you Pettis). If he says he's learned his lesson and will be good then ill give him the chance to prove me wrong.

As i've said before, every player entering the NFL gets a clean slate from me. In college, people do dumb stuff, i know i have. I know a lot of people have. They had there fun, got to experiment many things, make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. Now there entering the NFL and have a chance to show the past is the past and they realize they have a chance to win games, make money and have great careers. If they mess it up then oh well. It's there life and if they cant grow up and realize what they have then it is there own fault.

If Jenkins screws up and gets banned and eventually out of football, i won't blame Snead for his decision to draft him, and if a few years down the road we draft another player with character concerns like Jenkins, i will have no problem with it. I'd have more problems with Snead drafting a lazy player with no desire for the game then a guy who smoked weed in college.

Just my opinion.
    RockinRam likes this.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Ok I did not know that but I'm sure the Rams FO did... does not change my opinion of him as a kid that needs some guidance and needs to grow up and become a better man. Only time will tell if the risk was worth the reward. I for one hope he gets his act together...
    I'm sure they did. They appear to have done their due dilligence. That's about all that we can expect. Like I've said a million times.....if this kid is clean, we got two first round picks this year.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Not to hate on one player but is this acceptable behavior? I'm sure I can find many to choose from this one I will never forget for more reason then the letter he left his wife.

Joe Montana: Family Man

It is absolutely disgusting that people are questioning Joe Montana's motives for not showing up at the Super Bowl MVP celebration. Montana is a big family man. Why else would he have been married three times?

Joe Family Guy has had almost as many marriages as Super Bowl rings. A wife for every Super Bowl MVP. It's funny that family was never much of a priority for him when he dumped his high school sweetheart Kim Monses, after three years of marriage in 1977 when he was drafted by the *****. But it is a tradition for professional athletes (and entertainers in general) to dump your first wife when you finally make it to the big time.

Following the lead of great NFL players, like Frank Gifford, Montana moved on to a stewardess for wife number two. Cass Castillo was some sort of a looker, but she couldn't make it past the magical three-year mark (which incidentally was Montana's college number at Notre Dame).

Montana had other priorities, other than family, when he decided to move on. Montana met his current wife, Jennifer, while shooting a commercial for Schick razors. Montana was so smitten, he left Cass a "Dear Jane" letter at the ***** front office to let her know that she was being replaced. Joe and Jennifer were married a year later. Montana received a little heat with this move said, "Maybe God wants Joe Montana to be happy."

His personal life has nothing to do with his play. Elway said he would like Tebow to marry his daughter but not be his QB.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-30-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    If you like sports because you want athletes to be good people, stop watching sports. Because no team at no time will be 100% stocked with perfect, moral citizens. Basically, you can criticize Jenkins' "transgressions" all you want, and you can conceive your own criteria for what makes a person worthy to play for the Rams, or any other team all you want. But we don't know these athletes. Just because you follow a twitter account doesn't mean you can judge a person's character. You have no idea if there is already someone on the Rams roster with a worse past than Jenkins. Jenkins just got caught.

So why do we care if a man who's had a couple misdemeanors plays for the Rams? This is professional sports. I don't root for a player to stay faithful to his wife, or to donate to charities. I root for a player to get the job done on the field, period. Anything outside of that purview is pointless.

Jenkins is well worth it.
    I don't speak for everyone that has concerns over Jenkins, but I will say for myself, the concern is not over what kind of citizen he is. My concern is his ability to stay on the field.

If he gets suspended......he is not on the field. It's that simple for me.

I don't care if the issue is weed, steroids, or a bum knee........anything in a player's past that could keep him off the field is an area of concern.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There are three factors to consider in assessing the risk:

1. What type of potential do you feel the player possesses?
    I believe that Janoris Jenkins has the ability to be an above-average to elite CB.

2. What is the cost of obtaining the player?
    In this case, it ended up being the #39 pick, which was one of three second round picks the Rams possessed.

3. What red flags are causing concern?
    In this case, the concern is based upon past acts that, if repeated, would result in suspensions.

Weighing these things, the Rams decided that the potential benefits outweighed the risk.

See? Its not a moral issue. Its a business issue.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    If you like sports because you want athletes to be good people, stop watching sports. Because no team at no time will be 100% stocked with perfect, moral citizens. Basically, you can criticize Jenkins' "transgressions" all you want, and you can conceive your own criteria for what makes a person worthy to play for the Rams, or any other team all you want. But we don't know these athletes. Just because you follow a twitter account doesn't mean you can judge a person's character. You have no idea if there is already someone on the Rams roster with a worse past than Jenkins. Jenkins just got caught.

So why do we care if a man who's had a couple misdemeanors plays for the Rams? This is professional sports. I don't root for a player to stay faithful to his wife, or to donate to charities. I root for a player to get the job done on the field, period. Anything outside of that purview is pointless.

Jenkins is well worth it.
    I too believe the selection of Jenkins was worth the risk. I also agree that expecting players to be "perfect, moral citizens" is an exercise in futility. That said, I do root for a player to keep his personal life off the field at least clean enough that he will be allowed on the field game days. Those who question his selection, I suspect are more concerned about whether he can keep his nose clean enough to be consistently relied upon to improve our team more than they're worried about whether he's faithful to his wife, or whatever .. Jenkins' past behavior is a legitimate concern, and one can't really fault the folks who are uncomfortable the Rams having drafted him.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

After the 'success' (cough) of the "4 pillars system"....I am all for a new direction. Looks like its katy bar the door for the Rams on the nice guy factor, from here on out. This kid appears to be a solid cover corner, a very good tackler and a heck of a special teamer. I know its quite a jump from DII to the NFL but I like what I see. He either grows up or he can look forward to an inmate number. Lets hope he grasps what this opportunity means for him and decides to become a man.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

RealRam is offline Registered User

"We will rally around Janoris Jenkins, and ..." >> Bah, never mind!

General opinion is yes, JJ is worth the risk. I agree. And I'm also glad the Rams did their due diligence in investigating the kid and made this decision for me!
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-01-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Vermeil statement

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo
    I know its quite a jump from DII to the NFL but I like what I see.
    He played 3 years at Florida. It was marijuana and an arrest record that exiled him to D2 for his senior year, not talent.

MrLegend28 is offline Registered User

if smoking weed is the issue, we should be good. Even Mike Mayock said this lol. No one cares about pot anymore unless you're a cop or over 40 lol

Quote Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
    if smoking weed is the issue, we should be good. Even Mike Mayock said this lol. No one cares about pot anymore unless you're a cop or over 40 lol
    ---sigh---

Nobody......that is except the NFL, who will then suspend Jenkins should he get arrested again.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Joe Montana was a MASSIVE cokehead and that is an open secret. He missed games for rehab at one point. Of course, that was long before the developed drug policy in the nfl.

Fact is, weed is not a moral judgment in this context. Its a violation of the collective bargaining agreement and the league will suspend him if they catch him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    HUbison and THOLTFAN81 like this.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Having 4 kids with 3 different women, being arrested 3 times, testing positive for marijuana even though you know you have the potential to be a star in the NFL indicates a huge deficiency in common sense or perhaps just plain stupidity. That worries me because the likelihood of him doing something stupid again that will derail his career is significant in my opinion.
    Yes, I've already said I though he was worth the risk since we had 3 2nd round picks, but it's still worrisome.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Here's hoping that JJ knows the meaning of the word 'commitment' to the Rams and to becoming a responsible professional athlete in the NFL. So far it seems that at least he ... honestly ... admits his days at Florida were marred by 'mistakes'.

GC made an excellent point in that after Florida, Jenkins apparently tried to right his attitude at UNA.

Good indication to continue this path with the Rams.
    Fettmaster likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast