Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Jared Cook broke a Rams record (and nobody seems to have noticed)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Jared Cook broke a Rams record (and nobody seems to have noticed)

By my calculations, Jared Cook, by adding 30 yards yesterday to bring his season total to 671 yards, broke a 30 year old Rams record: most receiving yards (single season) by a TE.

The record was previously held by Mike Barber, who had 657 yards in 1983.

It is odd that this record has gone largely unnoticed. In fact, I was not able to find a single reference to it on the web.

(Perhaps there is confusion due to the fact that Jim Benton registered 981 yards in 1946 playing the position, "end." That position, though, is not the same as TE, in my book.)

So, congratulations to Jared Cook!

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: Jared Cook broke a Rams record (and nobody seems to have noticed)

People are so quick to dismiss Cook because he isn't Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham. Which for what the Rams are paying him, he should be on their level, kinda.

People do, forget that he is the leading receiver on our team which says something about his production, Although he is a bit unreliable at times and has the case of stone hands.

Maybe its due to Bradford being down? But he only showed up the first week of the season which does inflate his numbers a bit but he still put up those numbers so they should be accounted for.

Congrats Jared Cook! But stop being so hot and cold.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I went and looked at Cooks numbers this morning and did not catch that. I did notice that Cook had his best year ever as a pro for TDs. He did it with a back up QB and a change to a run first approach the second half of the year.

I think most fans are somewhat disappointed in his numbers. I think all of the receivers numbers are lower then we expected due to losing Sam, which also lead to running the ball more.

Still Cook did what no other Ram has done in a long time.

I don't know if Cook will ever be a 1,000 yard receiver. Right now, though, I feel comfortable going forward with him, Kendricks and Harkey at the TE position.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Kendricks made one hell of a one handed catch yesterday... I like the group.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

That's nice for Cook, but he really needs to improve his game next year. Watching him actually play, not just looking at his numbers, he was a big disappointment in my opinion. He ran lazy routes, quitting on some completely, leading to at least one turnover. Yesterday was the same stuff from him, he was nonchalant with the two point conversion catch/drop ultimately costing us 2 points.

I hope he comes back next year and tears the Nfl up, like I think he is capable of if he puts his mind to it.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Cook has been wildly inconsistent, sometimes he looks like a Top 6 TE but then drops off with lazy routes and effort to get the damn ball. I hope he improves on his blocking also, adding that dimension would make our offense dangerous.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Really mixed feelings on this guy.

His play vs. his salary is a negative, but not his fault (ala Bradford), so I'll push this one.

The record...kinda' like being the tallest midget for three reasons. Historically, TE's have never been a Rams' strong suit, and TE's are way different today than in the previous 30-40 years, and our receivers still aren't that good. Good for him though - hope he improves.

I don't really care about the (lack of) blocking prowess - it's not why Rams picked him up.

It's the eyeball test with me (see sig). He just looks slow and unatheletic (almost clumsy) to me, and really hasn't been that 'go-to' big guy in the red zone. As I said before, if it was between him and Bailey, I'd take Stead.

Nothing against him, seems like a great locker room guy, glad (for him) he got his payday, and would rather have him than not, but just feel money could have been better spent elsewhere, even prior to the advantage of hindsight.

Really is on Fisher, but that's off topic.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

bradwill is offline Registered User

Cook has all the tools to be dominant except what's between his ears.

Now that Tony Gonzalez has retired, maybe the Rams can slip him a few bucks to do some mentoring during the off-season with Cook and teach him what it means to be a real pro instead of just a guy who has plenty of skills and can't get his head around the game mentally at times.

I'm not disappointed in Cook, but it's obvious he can be better IF he'll decide that is what he wants. So much skill but not that great of a compete-level.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Agree with all the above... sometimes hot and sometimes clumsy on the hands almost like a gawky overgrown teenager still trying to get comfortable with his size.

could familiarity with shotty's routes be in play? not sure, but with that size of a contract, that can't be the excuse.

I'm really hoping another year in the system catching Sam's zingers gets him tighter with the hands and he keeps his head in the game more, running thru his cuts with determination, etc.

Really really hoping its not a case Alex Barron-itis, where its an irreparable broken mental switch
    RealRam likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Clear consensus: Keep Cook, expected to / needs to develop for 2014. Totally agree!

Good to know about the record setting though it does seem relative when put next to his potential.
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-30-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: 2014
    RamDez likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

He wound up with very good numbers, no question, and I was NOT aware he set this record. I feel Cook is a real good talent with a world of ability and I appreciate his production for us this year, but I think criticism comes from a perceived malaise and lack of focus from time to time preventing him from being even better.
    RealRam and UK Ramfan 83 like this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't know if Cook will ever be a 1,000 yard receiver. Right now, though, I feel comfortable going forward with him, Kendricks and Harkey at the TE position.
    Same here. However, I would like to see some dominating performances from Cook in the future. We're paying him to be a game-changer, and he needs to start consistently playing like one.
    punahou likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Same here. However, I would like to see some dominating performances from Cook in the future. We're paying him to be a game-changer, and he needs to start consistently playing like one.
    In response to the thread name-- no one has noticed---
    And correctly so.

His play and production werent game changers for the Rams- with the exception of game 1.

I like the physical tools that Cook brings to the Rams; however whether its playcalling or his lack of consistancy, he is a player that is underperforming-- the Mike Barber record nonwithstanding.

With the mediocre receivers the Rams have, he should be the brightest star on that field, and if 600 yards receiving is tops on our team and we are jumping for joy, we have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post

In response to the thread name-- no one has noticed---
    And correctly so.

His play and production werent game changers for the Rams- with the exception of game 1.

I like the physical tools that Cook brings to the Rams; however whether its playcalling or his lack of consistancy, he is a player that is underperforming-- the Mike Barber record nonwithstanding.

With the mediocre receivers the Rams have, he should be the brightest star on that field, and if 600 yards receiving is tops on our team and we are jumping for joy, we have issues.
    So the fact that he did something that no Ram has ever done is not worthy of recognition because he failed to meet your expectations?

I say, congratulations, Mr. Cook, and good luck in your effort to shatter your own record next year.
    RamDez likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast