throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Jared Cook and the reality of free agency

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Re: Jared Cook and the reality of free agency

Bit of a focus issue but he's a playmaker. I'd hoped to see him step up a bit more after Sam was injured. Maybe it'll happen. He's as close to a vet that TE/WR skill group has & I think that might tip the value scale against JC for me somewhat. Not so much that they overspent but should have got more than solid numbers for it. Some reliable leadership, perhaps.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -11-09-2013 at 07:08 AM.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I've been disappointed in Cook. His first game was great and helps his overall numbers because he hasn't done much since week 1. I don't think he runs very good routes at times. I've seen him stop short on a few routes, one of which I remember turned into a Bradford INT. For what we paid him, I'm very disappointed so far.

7 Receptions 141 Yards 2 TDs in his first game.

25 Receptions 270 Yards 1 TD in the other 8 games.

That is a big drop off.

His route running, and sometimes quitting on those routes bothers me the most. Along with his poor blocking that was already mentioned earlier. It's still early in his Rams career, so I hope he can improve.
    The reason why his numbers were great the first game is because defenses really weren't focusing on him. I remember the week after when the Falcons double teamed him constantly because of what he did the first week.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    The reason why his numbers were great the first game is because defenses really weren't focusing on him. I remember the week after when the Falcons double teamed him constantly because of what he did the first week.
    He hasn't been double teamed much since the Falcons game, so I'm not buying that. I've been watching him closely, and his route running has been poor at times. He has quit on some routes, one of which turned into an INT. He's had a few drops, a couple of which were horrible.

Kendricks has been getting more of Cook's snaps, and has been playing better than Cook. Now that Kendricks has a bad finger and might be out a while, hopefully Cook can capitalize. Up until now, Cook's play has been disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Cook has 4 drops. Same as Hartline and Jennings. Fewer than Welker (5).

That's the thing... we see the flaws in our players because we watch them constantly. With guys on other teams, if its not on the stat sheet, we might not be aware of it.
    I haven't looked up the stats, but I would confidently state that Welker and Jennings are targeted a LOT more than Cook and are going to have more drops.

Cook isn't the kind of terrible signing that several other Rams' FA have been in the last decade, but he's eating a lot of cap-space up for a guy who seems to have a pretty mediocre compete-level. He got over-hyped in free agency and that raised expectations to off-the-chart level, but he's a guy that needs to put it together with that contract. His blocking is horrid and anyone who thinks he plays hard on every snap is delusional.

I'm not down on Cook but he's got to bring it on every down and stop just doing enough(except for blocking...that he cannot do) which seems to be a lack of focus.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by bradwill View Post

I haven't looked up the stats, but I would confidently state that Welker and Jennings are targeted a LOT more than Cook and are going to have more drops.
    Next time, look it up (they all have around the same drop rate).

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Something that should be pointed out is whether Jared Cook even fits into the offensive scheme of the Rams. Here we go again back to Shottemheimer and his ability to even scheme with this type of player. I thought they brought him in to "open up the offense" which was a great idea until we went back to an offense easy to read with 3 and outs. Jared Cook has star ability if any one in this organization can figure out how to use it. I guarantee that Billechek would use his talent with much more effectiveness than what we have seen to date.

Rams need to figure out what kind of offense they want. If they want to ground and pound then they should not have signed Jared Cook as his blocking skills leave a lot to be desired. Instead, they should have not signed Cook or drafted Austin, but drafted guys like Lacy and offensive linemen.

Fisher now needs to take on some of the blame here for our anemic offense and decide which direction he wants to go next year. If he wants a more prolific offense then he needs to scheme for that and hire the right people that have a track record to do that. If he wants to ground and pound then he needs to do the same. Bradford is fine in either system, but use the talent and quit saying your want to be one thing and then do another.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    Rams need to figure out what kind of offense they want. If they want to ground and pound then they should not have signed Jared Cook as his blocking skills leave a lot to be desired. Instead, they should have not signed Cook or drafted Austin, but drafted guys like Lacy and offensive linemen.
    While I agree that Shotty isn't doing a good job utilizing Tavon, the Rams changed to a power running game DURING the season. So to say they shouldn't have drafted Austin, signed Cook, etc, isn't realistic because going into the season they didn't plan on being a power running team. Hindsight is 20/20.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    While I agree that Shotty isn't doing a good job utilizing Tavon, the Rams changed to a power running game DURING the season. So to say they shouldn't have drafted Austin, signed Cook, etc, isn't realistic because going into the season they didn't plan on being a power running team. Hindsight is 20/20.
    My point exactly - They started out trying to "open up the offense", but didn't have the scheme, coaching talent to carry it out so they gave up and panic a bit. Most of all of this points back to the offensive coordinator.

Some good football today against a very poor defense. Andrew Luck still needs a lot of help on his OL and that entire Colts defense was pathetic. He already misses Reggie Wayne.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12