Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Jason Garrett's observation on the Rams (Post game)

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Jason Garrett's observation on the Rams (Post game)

Got this off another Rams board.

LMU93 wrote:

Back from Dallas on Monday. Forgove this being a bit lengthy. But well, wow... If you haven't seen a game at the new Cowboys Stadium in Dallas put it on your bucket list. Because what it felt like I attended was a Super Bowl. Part of it is the 'extras' I'll describe below. But part is also how much Dallas takes it up a notch (at least from my experience at 5-6 other stadiums) on game days. From the time we approached the stadium there was a sea of tailgaters- RVs, tents with huge iron bbq smokers, flat screens, etc. No expense spared. And just a massive party outside the biggest and most impressive stadium I've ever seen. Words don't do it justice. Not just the mere physical structure but the 'experience' they create- thousands of employees, most dressed up in suits and ties- "thank you for visiting us today", "is there anything I can help you find?", "really hope you enjoy the game today..", etc. First class customer service. Hommage to the Cowboys greats of old everywhere (including the big bronze Tom Landry statue out front). I half expected to see Randy White serving drinks behind a bar...

The big screen? Well, it's something to see in person. And when we arrived 2+ hours before game time it was showing other early games and highlights. Nice touch.. The natural lighting throughout makes it seem like an outdoor game. Big fountains in lobbies, everything meticulous and shining, escalators and elevators everywhere. Just the attention to detail everywhere. I will never say a bad word about Jerry Jones again. My hat's off to him....

Also, the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders... well, we all know about them. But what I didn't realize is they're not just typical NFL cheerleaders standing quietly on the sidelines. They're an integral part of the 'production' that is a Cowboys game. Marching onto the field (there must be 70-80 of them) to do a full pre-game performance. Similar performances between each quarter. And people go berzerk (rightfully so...) for them. They get their fair share of big screen time throughout, too.... Plus there are also these other 'dancers' on little stages throughout the mid-level of the stadium up from the end zones in front of the big windows letting in light. They silhouette against the light and do these little choreographed bits between each play. It's all in sync. All timed. All very professional. It's just, well, a bit surreal for a sporting event..

Our seats... Let me preface this by saying this was arranged by my wife months ago as a 40th birthday gift and I was there with 10 of my close college friends. One of which happens to work for StubHub... For a fairly modest price through his connections we had a suite in the Ring of Honor level (halfway up, in the corner where Murray scored his 91-yarder...). Pristine... fridge stocked already upon arrival. Beautiful theatre-style seats. Three flat screens tuned into other early games. Again, words don't do it justice.... And on top of THAT... passes to the Owners Club, the exclusive field-level 'club' that basically looks like a Vegas resort serving all the free drinks, buffets, etc. you can handle. This is the area you may have seen that the players basically walk through on their way to/from the field. The players basically walk through a bar to get to the field....

We spent an hour there before the game, went back at halftime, and then again after the game- where we also were then allowed to go out onto the field itself for a while and walk around, sit on the Rams' bench, etc. Incredible food. Friendly bartenders. So.. after the game this is also (if they win) where Cowboys players and coaches go to mix and mingle. Two of my friends met and chatted with Rob Ryan. Some others met Jon Kitna, Marcus Spears and (former Cowboy) Leon Lett. This is well over an hour after the game is over, and people there are encouraged to stay. The game ended at 6PM or so- we finally left at 8:45 and the place was still going... On this night some were apparently killing time before walking 500 yards across the parking lot to see the World Series that night too... There's also a band playing a concert in the big main foyer of the stadium for more than an hour after the game in front of a couple hundred people. Totally random...

So we spot Cowboys' head coach Jason Garrett, who's all smiles, shaking hands, chatting with people he seemed to know. After a few minutes he's taking some photos with people, in no hurry, and even waves off a server who had brought him a plate of food so that he can accomodate people lurking around. He's about 10 feet from me and one of my friends who's a huge Cowboys' fan wants to get a picture with him. I figure 'what the hell, when will I EVER get a chance like this chance again?..' We inch closer, and he turns to us, extends a hand, smiles and says hello. This was basically our exchange. Take it for what it's worth:

Me: "Hi Mr. Garrett, nice game... Hey, can I ask you a question?"
    JG: "Sure.."
    Me (pointing to my Rams' shirt): "Can you tell me what you think is wrong with these guys?.."
    JG: "They're hurt. They're beat up. Look, right now Spagnuolo can't run the defense he wants to run. When I put their Green Bay tape on last week they were not playing his defense anymore. He can't. He has no corners. And with Sam (Bradford) out, today he couldn't run his offense either. We knew they'd have to run a lot. And, well, we're pretty good against the run..."
    Me: "So you don't think they need to start over?"
    JG: "No. look, Steve's building that program. Believe it or not they have come a long way. They have the quarterback and a lot more pieces than they're showing. He and Billy are building that program. They need more time."
    Me: "What about their offensive line?"
    JG (pauses): "Those guys need to be playing better. They do.."

This was about 3 minutes and I thanked him for his time and let him get to his family and friends. Incredible. Some stanger in a Rams' t-shirt comes up to him and he stands there and chats while others wait for him...

So, that's about it... I think sporting events have officially been ruined for me going forward. As one of my friends said after we all got back to the hotel, "I may not even tell people I did anything this weekend. What's the point? No one is going to believe me..."

Oh, and apparently at halftime while we were back down at the Owners Club eating gourmet gnocchi, carved stuffed turkey, fried chicken, etc. two Cowboys' cheerleaders were visiting the suites on our level... A day I will never forget... Go Rams...

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Re: Jason Garrett's observation on the Rams (Post game)

Cool but Jason Garrett's opinion means literally nothing to me.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Interesting....but my question is , what is "gourmet gnocchi"? Maybe I should watch the Food Channel and see if I can spot it.

Sounds good, though....

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Interesting....but my question is , what is "gourmet gnocchi"? Maybe I should watch the Food Channel and see if I can spot it.

Sounds good, though....
    Gnocchi is similar to Ravioli except Ravioli squares are bigger and can hold more stuffing. (Av is an expert on Ravioli I'm told) ..

Gnocchi is a different kind of Italian dumpling. The word gnocchi literally means "lumps", and they are rolled and shaped from a mixture of egg with potato, semolina, flour, or ricotta cheese (with or without spinach). The lumps are boiled in water and served with melted butter, grated cheese, or other pasta sauces. Gnocchi are shaped like little pill bugs. You know those little gray bugs that hid under rocks and in humid areas in the backyard? Like those! Gnocchi, like tortellini can also be seen with tomato flavored and spinach flavored shells. Those are quite delicious. Gnocchi can really be likened to dumplings. If anything, they’re really like lumps of pasta. Unlike regular pasta though, they can be made with other types of flour than just semolina. Sometimes they’re made with potatoes though, or with potato as a filling. They don’t typically have meat or cheese or vegetable fillings.

Gourmet Gnocchi ?? From Jerry Jones? Probably just garnished with gold dust ..

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Sure the OL needs to play better, but Garrett forgot to mention the lack of fundamentals, the lack of fire, and the lack of execution by most of the team. Having no corners has nothing to do with those things.
    macrammer likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Coaches are generally supportive of one another. I'm not sure I've ever heard an employed coach say of another employed coach in the league that he needs to be fired or that team needs to move on. So I'm not sure how much one can actually read into Garrett's answer to, "So you don't think they need to start over?" What else is he really supposed to say in that conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Coaches are generally supportive of one another. I'm not sure I've ever heard an employed coach say of another employed coach in the league that he needs to be fired or that team needs to move on. So I'm not sure how much one can actually read into Garrett's answer to, "So you don't think they need to start over?" What else is he really supposed to say in that conversation?
    Well .. He could have said: "The Rams had their chance to hire me and went with Spags instead. So .. Good luck pal!
    Nick likes this.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

injuries aren't arbitrary they are indicative of something else. bradford's injury was because he wasn't taken out of the game soon enough. jason garrett prancing around like a celebrity, he beat an 0-5 team!!! he's not out of the woods either I doubt cowboys make playoffs.

as for our offensive line not playing hard enough, i'm sorry if they are not protecting the franchise then kick them the hell off the team!!!

spags gotta go!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

macrammer is offline Registered User

wow. A coach sticking up for anther coach. go figure. What he really wanted to say was 'We hope we see the Rams next year and the year after and.........."

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Gnocchi is similar to Ravioli except Ravioli squares are bigger and can hold more stuffing. (Av is an expert on Ravioli I'm told) ..

Gnocchi is a different kind of Italian dumpling. The word gnocchi literally means "lumps", and they are rolled and shaped from a mixture of egg with potato, semolina, flour, or ricotta cheese (with or without spinach). The lumps are boiled in water and served with melted butter, grated cheese, or other pasta sauces. Gnocchi are shaped like little pill bugs. You know those little gray bugs that hid under rocks and in humid areas in the backyard? Like those! Gnocchi, like tortellini can also be seen with tomato flavored and spinach flavored shells. Those are quite delicious. Gnocchi can really be likened to dumplings. If anything, they’re really like lumps of pasta. Unlike regular pasta though, they can be made with other types of flour than just semolina. Sometimes they’re made with potatoes though, or with potato as a filling. They don’t typically have meat or cheese or vegetable fillings.

You can't this type of education on any other sports board! Thanks MauiRam, I have been a on a juicing diet for 32 days, and you just killed me with this description.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post

MauiRam,

Many thanks for the detailed description of Gnocchi. It really does sound delicious as most Italian food is. However, after reading your post I now find myself starving to death and really wanting some gnocchi (though at this point any Italian food will do) to sate my appetite.

Please send some of your finished product to Dez and I'm sure he will forward it to me here in Arkansas.

I shall eagerly await your reply.

Again, many thanks!!

AlphaRam Guest

Thanks for sharing your experience. I got to take my daughters and I to see the Rams vs Packers from the Anheuser-Busch suite (50 yard line). Once you get an experience like that, it does spoil you.

Keenum is offline Registered User

So to summarize, "The O-line has been horrible and the DBs are playing very poorly."

He just tried to say it nicely... I can picture in my mind that "pause" before commenting on the O-line

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

BREAKING NEWS: Rams DBs are crap and the O-Line is playing terrible!

Well at least we have Jason Garrett around to tell us that, i would never have guessed from watching the Rams play...
    LA Rammer likes this.

AlphaRam Guest

The fact that Maui had the conversation with Garrett is pretty cool. Myself, though, I hate the Cowgirls so much that I turned down a free lunch with Randy White.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    BREAKING NEWS: Rams DBs are crap and the O-Line is playing terrible!

Well at least we have Jason Garrett around to tell us that, i would never have guessed from watching the Rams play...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast