Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: jason smith asked to take paycut

Fastcat is offline Registered User

jason smith asked to take paycut

Just reported on 101 espn he has been asked to take a big pay cut and could be cut if he doesnt

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: jason smith asked to take paycut

Man are we moving at light speed or what? This is key and I hope he takes the pay cut... maybe Fisher can coach him up.

Jason Smith faces the chopping block in St. Louis
    Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2012, 9:32 AM EST
    Philadelphia Eagles v St. Louis Rams Getty Images

The Rams have had plenty of high picks in the past few years. Some have worked out, some did at first but then didn’t (but still could).

One has been a major disappointment.

Jason Smith, the second overall selection in the 2009 draft, has appeared in only 29 of 48 games. And when he has played, he hasn’t played in noteworthy fashion.

Drafted as a left tackle, Smith has landed on the right side. He soon will be landing on waivers, unless he agrees to a dramatic reduction in his salary.

Per a league source, Smith will face the time-honored take-a-pay-cut-or-take-a-hike ultimatum in the offseason, given that (per NFLPA records) Smith is due to earn a base salary of $10 million in 2012. With only $1 million of it guaranteed, the Rams won’t hesitate to dump Smith, if he won’t dump much of his scheduled pay.

In 2011, Smith received $8.5 million in base salary, as part of the windfall previously given to unproven players taken at the top of the draft.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-18-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

No doubt, he needs to take the paycut based on his market value. I'd be surprised if he refuses. I have to say though, Kevin Demoff has been always one of bright spots of the Rams with how he manages the cap situation.
    THOLTFAN81, Tampa_Ram and ZiaRam like this.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

He probably needs to be cut regardless. He has an injury problem, and over the past two years has developed a history of the dreaded concussions.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

$10 million is absolutely laughable. This is why the rookie wage scale was one of the smartest decisions the NFL ever made. This guy shouldn't be making $500k, forget 10 mill.

If he doesn't re-structure he can have loads of fun finding his new team. I think he will though.
    THOLTFAN81 and ZiaRam like this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    He probably needs to be cut regardless. He has an injury problem, and over the past two years has developed a history of the dreaded concussions.
    Its very difficult for me to believe that Smith will be injury free,(concussions) for the rest of his career. We may as well cut him, for what he is.? Which is a liability most of the time. I'd too, will be amazed if Smith is with us in two years time. So what is the point in paying him anything really, when it is extremely likely he won't be here.? It would be better for the franchise, if his roster spot is given to someone, who has a much better chance of sticking around.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-18-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I wouldn't label him an out and out bust just yet but he's been average and you don't take someone at no.2 and pay them like it to be average. His medical issues are a real concern and will likely curtail his career in any case.

mh-i is offline Registered User

I doubt that he's already been asked to take a pay cut. I think this "report" is speculation that it will happen. It no doubt will happen but to report it now is foolish.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Certainly a smart move if true. Smith has been a big disappointment when healthy and injured far too frequently. Asking someone to take a pay cut is what happens when the quality of your play doesn't justify your current salary. Rams dealing from a position of strength here.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The question for smith is whether Fisher sees him as a guard or a tackle. If Fisher sees him as a guard, and smith (or his agent) thinks he can garner interest elsewhere as a starting tackle, he may be better off as a free agent since tackles make more than guards. Obviously, he is going to get a lot less than 10 million per year no matter where he winds up.

I supported the pick at the time so i am not going to criticize it now. We badly needed a tackle and eugene monroe, the alternative, hasnt been very good in jacksonville. However, i will say this. I find it hard to believe that i am going to support a future high pick that involves a guy changing positions. The draft is enough of a crapshoot without betting on whether a right tackle can play left tackle (see also the carriker movie).

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Rammed and J-RodRamFan like this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Good stuff. I hope he takes a paycut to be honest with a good o-line coach. If he refuses, obviously we 100% must cut him because he is not worth it. However, if he is willing to earn an honest salary with us I am all for keeping him, and seeing what he can do under the tutelage of some real coaching.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

It's disappointing, as he was drafted as a "project", and I am afraid he has cut his teeth in STL and will go on to be a very good player in this league. But you can't draft a "project" at number two in the Not For Long league

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    It's disappointing, as he was drafted as a "project"
    He was? Fendi Onobun was a project. Smith was a legitimate college Left Tackle

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    He was? Fendi Onobun was a project. Smith was a legitimate college Left Tackle
    It might be a little unfair to call Smith just a project, but compared to other top tackle prospects that year, he was drafted largely because he was perceived to have a higher ceiling. Eugene Monroe was supposedly the safer pick, and Michael Oher, though not taken in the top 10 in the draft, was a more dominant college tackle.

In this case, the move is well justified. Smith hasn't played to the level of his contract, and I'm sure his agent will let him know that no one else is going to give him $10 million/year either.

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

Is this a joke? I think being drafted 2nd overall as a "can't miss" LT, then becoming a average RT is the definition of bust. This pay cut or be cut scenario is a long time coming. I don't know how you can defend him based on production and how much he has been payed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast