Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: jason smith asked to take paycut

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: jason smith asked to take paycut

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    It might be a little unfair to call Smith just a project, but compared to other top tackle prospects that year, he was drafted largely because he was perceived to have a higher ceiling. Eugene Monroe was supposedly the safer pick, and Michael Oher, though not taken in the top 10 in the draft, was a more dominant college tackle.

In this case, the move is well justified. Smith hasn't played to the level of his contract, and I'm sure his agent will let him know that no one else is going to give him $10 million/year either.
    I see what you mean. Project is probably a strong word, but I think Smith was seen to have the more potential

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    It might be a little unfair to call Smith just a project, but compared to other top tackle prospects that year, he was drafted largely because he was perceived to have a higher ceiling. Eugene Monroe was supposedly the safer pick, and Michael Oher, though not taken in the top 10 in the draft, was a more dominant college tackle.

In this case, the move is well justified. Smith hasn't played to the level of his contract, and I'm sure his agent will let him know that no one else is going to give him $10 million/year either.
    2009 was an odd draft, in retrospect. There's Clay Matthews and LeSean McCoy, but not many other superstars. And that deficit is even more pronounced in the OT position. Look at the top prospects from that year:

Jason Smith --- well, we all know (not a franchise LT)
    Andre Smith --- had 5 starts in first two seasons; started 14 games this year between G & RT (not a franchise LT)
    Eugene Monroe --- has started at least 13 games at LT in each season; good, but not great (not a franchise LT)
    Michael Oher --- has not become the next Jon Ogden, but has played very well at RT (not a franchise LT)

Of the 4 LT prospects, there's only 1 that is still playing LT. Not a good year for LTs.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

richtree is offline Registered User

9 Million more for a free agent...
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The question is pay cut or no pay cut is Smith going to impress Fisher or not? I mean impress Fisher with toughness or lack thereof? It will be obvious to Fisher that Smith has concussion issues and can't seem to stay on the field for all 16 games. My guess is he gets traded.....
    LA Rammer likes this.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I'm fine with Smith not being on our roster. Unless Fisher motivates him to improve a lot AND take a good pay cut

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12