Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Jason Smith to Jets (Not Finalized, yet)

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Jason Smith to Jets (Not Finalized, yet)

"Filed to ESPN: #Jets close to finalizing deal for Rams RT Jason Smith, league sources. RT Wayne Hunter part of deal. Smith, No. 2 pick '09." - Chris Mort via Rich Cinimi

Well, see ya Jason

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Jason Smith to Jets (Not Finalized, yet)

Wow they need a LT bad... Do it Les get those draft picks!!! It's a new day at Rams Park that's all I got to say!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Snead doing work. Smith may be damaged goods but if we can get a half-decent RT along with a draft pick in return, then we've got good return value. He should compliment them well in their running game since he likes to maul down linemen.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I like the Wheel'em, Deal'em and Draft'em approach over the old pluck'em, hope for luck'em and get stuck with'em.
    Rambos and ZiaRam like this.

Still no real source....

August 27, 2012 8:30 PM
    Source: Jets trade right tackle Wayne Hunter to the Rams for Jason Smith

BY Manish Mehta

The Jets traded beleaguered right tackle Wayne Hunter to the Rams on Monday night, according to a league source. A few days after Rex Ryan benched Hunter in favor for journeyman Austin Howard, Gang Green shipped Hunter to St. Louis for former first-round right tackle Jason Smith.

A source told the Daily News on Monday that the trade “is going to happen.” At just before 8:30 pm, The Daily News reported that it was a done deal: Hunter was no longer a Jet.

The move capped a tumultuous off-season for Hunter, who contributed to 2.5 sacks in his last start at right tackle in a Week 2 preseason loss to the Giants. Ryan benched Hunter and relegated him to a “sixth man role” as the primary backup tackle and guard and the tight end in jumbo formations. Hunter gave up another sack in the fourth quarter of the loss to the Panthers on Sunday night.

Smith was dealt after three underachieving seasons as the No. 2 overall pick in the 2009 draft. He agreed to a 60 percent paycut (from $10 million to $4 million) this offseason.

The Jets, meanwhile, were engaged in trade talks involving Hunter with at least one NFC team in the offseason, but couldn’t strike a deal. Hunter’s 2012 salary of $2.45 million is fully guaranteed.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

There had better be more in it than meets the eye. How is trading one busted pick at RT for another worthwhile ? Hopefully, Schotty knows something about this guy that The Jets couldn't figure out without him, if that's the case & this actually happens.

Sad, though. J. Smith was not Barron,imo. I wonder if he won't retire soon because of the head injuries, anyway.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

For better or for worse, this likely ends any competition there was at right tackle, unless Schottenheimer favors Hunter so much that he'd allow him to compete with only one preseason game left to go. But Hunter has really not been good for New York, and is only available now after being benched in favor of an undrafted rookie. Lateral move, but one that ends the Jason Smith problem for the Rams front office.
    Rambos likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Drz
    Drz is offline Registered User

Looks like a classic change-of-scenery trade. Two players who no longer fit in with their current franchises and would have more value elsewhere.

Hunter is a big dude, perhaps he'll fit the new run scheme better.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    For better or for worse, this likely ends any competition there was at right tackle, unless Schottenheimer favors Hunter so much that he'd allow him to compete with only one preseason game left to go. But Hunter has really not been good for New York, and is only available now after being benched in favor of an undrafted rookie. Lateral move, but one that ends the Jason Smith problem for the Rams front office.
    Well said. I think it probably does come down to the money although I'm not sure how much The Rams will save.Does Hunter's guaranteed deal mean he double dips or are The Jets off the hook or are The Rams free to negotiate & The Jets have to pay him regardless?

Can't say I'm happy about Richardson, though....Goldberg 2.0 with a dash of Barron ?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Well said. I think it probably does come down to the money although I'm not sure how much The Rams will save.Does Hunter's guaranteed deal mean he double dips or are The Jets off the hook or are The Rams free to negotiate & The Jets have to pay him regardless?

Can't say I'm happy about Richardson, though....Goldberg 2.0 with a dash of Barron ?
    I've read that Hunter is guaranteed about $2.45 million this year whereas Smith was scheduled to receive $4 million.

Also, looks like NO draft picks are involved in this trade. That is disappointing to me a bit.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Guys as bad as Jason Smith is Wayne Hunter is worse...Hunter is even worse than Richardson i live in NJ Jets fans wan to kill this guy he is not just bad he is god awful...last year the Jets slide protection to him and he still sucked.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

I'm not sure Jason Smith was worth a salt shaker, let alone a draft pick.
    Rambos, LA Rammer and ZiaRam like this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    For better or for worse, this likely ends any competition there was at right tackle, unless Schottenheimer favors Hunter so much that he'd allow him to compete with only one preseason game left to go.
    I'll be interested to hear what Shotty has to say about Hunter. I've got to believe he had input on the deal.

I'm just glad we are willing to move on, if Hunter is not the guy so be it at least we know Smith is not.
    Dwight Frye likes this.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

... movin' on.

Finally ....
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast