Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Jason Smith to Jets (Not Finalized, yet)

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Jason Smith to Jets (Not Finalized, yet)

I don't like the move at all. And coming on the heels of getting Vernon Gholston- coincidentally another bad ex-Jet who statistically can only be categorized as a worthless bum- I have to wonder what the Rams are doing. They swapped a young (albeit disappointing) high draft pick for a guy who has been maligned for over a year here in NY and who just looked horrible in singlehandedly giving up 4 sacks against the Giants in a pre-season game. THIS is how we're going to protect Sam Bradford if God-forbid the starter goes down? This is not a great way to galvanize the fan base nor inspire confidence in the organization. Questioning Fisher/Snead on this is not unfair, nor is having the opinion that it's a bad move. Had Steve Spagnuolo and Devaney pulled this off, we'd have 5 pages of "what the hell are they doing?".

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Hey everybody, look, it's an argument on the internet!
    Want to share some of my popcorn, made a lot since this is going on so long

They are both backups in my opinion and saves us money for JLau. I hope we draft a new tackle somewhere between round 1-3 next year to fill in whichever is needed.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams trade Smith to Jets for Hunter. Could we get some real news around here.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

There must be some method to the madness. Im in wait and see mode on this one, but will refuse to question every move Snead makes until I see a negative pattern emerging on the field. Getting shut of Jason Smith was long, long overdue. So Im just thankful for this alone. In saving some cap space, and actually bringing in a player who Schotty is probably more familiar with, can't hurt us too much.?

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Must be a cap move thing I reckon.

Besides, the guy might have been unhappy and hacked off at the Jets to the extent that his mojo was sub par. He could have had personal problems etc, linked with NY.

Who knows, a fresh move and a new city may rejuvenate this fellow and he could surprise (but doubtful).
    Madison Hedgcock anyone? (off the top of my head without too much thinking)

We just don't know..

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    We are so fortunate to have such experts here. I wish the Rams would hire you all.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I don't like the move at all. And coming on the heels of getting Vernon Gholston- coincidentally another bad ex-Jet who statistically can only be categorized as a worthless bum- I have to wonder what the Rams are doing. They swapped a young (albeit disappointing) high draft pick for a guy who has been maligned for over a year here in NY and who just looked horrible in singlehandedly giving up 4 sacks against the Giants in a pre-season game. THIS is how we're going to protect Sam Bradford if God-forbid the starter goes down? This is not a great way to galvanize the fan base nor inspire confidence in the organization. Questioning Fisher/Snead on this is not unfair, nor is having the opinion that it's a bad move. Had Steve Spagnuolo and Devaney pulled this off, we'd have 5 pages of "what the hell are they doing?".
    I don't know for sure but the Gholston move looks like it's just fresh camp legs due too a couple of guys going down, lets see if he even makes the roster, which I doubt.

When you describe Smith I think it's important to include he has been seriously concussed twice and missed a lot of playing time. Tony Softli has reported that both Smith and Richardson have played poor in pass protection in practice, but Richardson is a much better run blocker. Neither one are the answer IMO, the Rams are clearly searching for it. There has been some rumblings that Dahl or Ojinnaka, will slide out and play RT and Roc starts at guard. Maybe a quick fix.

Maybe they have already been told a decent vet is going to get cut this week who can come in, well see.

I would think after what Les and Fisher have done to this point would afford them the benefit
    of the doubt at least until we see who makes the team.

rampower is offline Registered User
    I think this move is more about less cap money, a player used to the system rather than not and it shows how low they are on smith. Real low. I am just frustrated that in 2012 we are still looking for numerous answers. These kind of threads show I'm not Alone.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Boy oh boy. What are you guys whining about? I'm a lifelong Jet fan that comes here every year to read Nick and the rest of your take pre-draft and this isn't a bad move for you.

What kind of blocking scheme are the Rams running? With the Jets Schottenheimer had an offensive line/assistant head coach in Bill Callahan running a zone blocking scheme and Schottenheimer wanted to run a quick passing game. Sanchez and the Jets desire to be "smashmouth" were not conducive to that. This year they hired Sparano and planned to be more of a man blocking team which will emphasize size and athletic ability.

Hunter played very well as a blocking TE and filling in for Woody during the 2010 playoff run. He started most of the games down the stretch and the playoffs and performed well. In 2011 he was pretty poor, but a starting RT on a fairly high level O line. This season he has had a sore back. He missed the first game and then was abused by Pierre-Paul and Tuck. He didn't get much help though - no doubles, no chips from the backs or TEs. Seemed to mentally lose it. He was benched before game 3 and didn't look much better against Carolina.

You guys weren't going to keep Smith for 2013 anyway. Not at that salary, so once he loses his starting job you might as well dump him and save a few bills. Maybe with a man blocking scheme he can help the Jets more.

Now, can you guys tell me what I can expect out of Smith? Concussions? I have read on here that he is a "mauler" but a worse run blocker than Barry Richardson. My overwhelming feeling is, eh.
    live4ramin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    The fact that throughout this discussion you never once mentioned or displayed evidence that you have even any knowledge of Hunter's ability, yet continue on about how us "random" fans should just sit down and shut up is really laughable.
    When did I say that my opinion of Hunter is even relevant to the discussion? My opinion is that he, like Smith, is highly flawed.

But, again... who cares? My point... which you continue to miss, is that the Rams coaches and front office clearly thought this trade was a beneficial move, so to come out with statements like "OH MY GOD! HUNTER IS WORSE THAN SMITH!!!" is just, well... stupid.

Of course, if the discussion turns to golf and fishing, I'll be sure to get your opinion before commenting.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

All I can say here is hope lol , As mentioned he is very large, I have watched his film and he does a very poor job. I'm sure the boys in the front office have a reason for this ? I see no real up side to this in anyway.
    Last edited by OldRamsfan; -08-28-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Got a guy who misses blocks in exchange for a guy who misses games, and saved $1.5M in the process.

What's the big mystery here?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ventesette View Post
    Now, can you guys tell me what I can expect out of Smith? Concussions? I have read on here that he is a "mauler" but a worse run blocker than Barry Richardson. My overwhelming feeling is, eh.
    Hey, Vente. Thanks for the insight on Hunter. Don't get too excited about Smith. He's a great athlete, but IMO, his technique never reached the level needed in the NFL. He manhandled Big XII defense, tested great, and interviewed well. But he just never refined his game to the point of being a good blocker. Add that to a couple of serioius concussions, and now this guy is just going to be a backup. Maybe there's a OL coach out there that can turn the light bulb on, but I've yet to see it.
    Nick and Ventesette like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Guys, Smith is a turd......a shiny turd, but turd all the same. When you take a turd to market, you're not going to get a gold brick in return. It's just not going to happen. Smith was gone after this year anyway. And maybe Schott can get something out of Hunter. Maybe not.

But we're talking about a backup OT. When was the last time trading a backup OT caused this much stir?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Got a guy who misses blocks in exchange for a guy who misses games, and saved $1.5M in the process.

What's the big mystery here?
    Hopefully Bradford won't be planted face first as a result of one of those missed blocks and we learn a lesson the hard way.

It's obvious during his time with the Jets Schottenheimer saw enough of Hunter to feel he has something to offer. That, plus saving money certainly figured into this decision. With that said, Hunter has been absolutely lambasted by everyone and their brother in the NY/NJ area (talk radio, fans, sportscasters) for his poor play- feelings that have some merit based on Hunter's inability to hold blocks and allow sacks. I still think it was too early to give up a high 2009 draft pick who is only 25-26 years old for a guy like Hunter.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast