Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Jason Smith: where does he fit?

Ive seen Jason Smith play. Not bad i say. But there are times where he whiffs his run blocks. Can anyone give me where they think he is at this point? cause i only watched the half of the bengals game and that's all. You guys think smith can replace pace? Do you think he is better at right? Or left?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Jason Smith: where does he fit?

Jason Smith is a born Right Tackle in my mind. He's a strong, nasty, punishing run blocker who's ok in the pass protection department. On the right side, he'll be able to get help from both the TE and the right guard for pass protection, while he'll also be able to form a great blocking push along side Cogs at right guard.

If he was on the left side, he would be expected to take on the defense's best pass rusher(usually) one on one, and would not be on the strong side for the run game.

It's my opinion that they drafted Smith with the ideal of him being an all-pro bookend tackle to pair with Barron, who is a prototype left tackle, and he proved that in 2007 when he took over for Pace. Barron is not as strong, but is much more nimble and is better suited to deal with pass rushers than to get a push going in the run game. I fully expect that he'll prove his worth this year when he gets to start all 16 games on the left side, so long as he keeps his false starts down, which he started to get under control last year. Of course, with time, he could always get good enough to play on the left side, but for now, he's perfectly suited for the right side.

So, the answer to the question? Jason's a RT in this league. In college he got away with being a left tackle because he was stronger than his competition and could just push them away from the QB. That won't work regularly in the technique based NFL.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Any concerns about J. Smith preseason? Does he look like a starting Tackle?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

To paraphrase Dr. Alan Grant:

Jason Smith and the NFL... previously separated by the entire span of Smith's playing career, have suddenly been thrown into the mix together for a total of three preseason games. How can we possibly have the slightest idea of what to expect?

Seriously... I think its waaaay too soon to be drawing conclusions. In a perfect world, Smith would be a starter on opening day and then start every game for 10 years. In reality, he might need a bit of time. From everything I've read Smith is a great athlete, has a great attitude, and works his butt off every day. Sounds like a formula to long term success to me.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Well we don't draft right tackles #2 overall, so the hope is that Smith is going to be a franchise left tackle for us. And before we plan his entire career on 3 pre-season games, let's not forget that he was believed to be the OT with the most upside of this year's draft class but was a bit raw so it's going to take a little bit for us to see exactly what we have in him.

maineram is offline Registered User

In the two preseason games I've seen, Jets & Bengals, He's a much better pass blocker than run blocker. He played both left and right tackle in the Bengals game and was equally effective on both sides pass blocking. Yes it was against the ones and twos but he kept the rusher at arms length and away from the pocket pretty good. He's not mauling lineman back in the run game at this point though.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I think we all know it may take some time with him but when you are a #2 pick and have a $60 million contract people will expect greatness right away,I think he will be a pro bowl player for us and if we resign Barron (which I think is A Must) then these two guys will be bookend tackles for many years for the Rams and very good ones at that.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Jason Smith is a born Right Tackle in my mind.
    I disagree, though I do think he's a more balanced player than players generally labeled "prototypical left tackles." He is a nasty run blocker, and that demeanor will benefit him on the right side. But he's also a former tight end who is exceptionally athletic, which I think in the long run is going to help make him an outstanding blind side protector, assuming he successfully improves the areas that need improvement in his game.

It's going to take some time for him to work out of a three point stance and get comfortable playing from that position. He's going to need some work on his footwork, leg strength, and other fundamentals. This is one of the reasons why, if you prefer a more polished guy who is more ready to contribute immediately, you were probably a Eugene Monroe fan on draft day.

This is also one of the reasons why I'm not incredibly excited about him working on the right side, because he's going to have to re-learn those techniques or at least have to get comfortable doing the mirrored version of them when he moves to the left side.

But I think for a team that's planning to be built around a power running game, he's very well suited to the left side.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

I also like his attitude. He loves this team and is a very humble guy. He's one of those guys like orlando pace. I remember in one game marshall faulk was getting up from a play where he just got tackled and Junior Seau, came out of nowhere and blindsided him. None the less, Pace came right back and hit Junior Seau a good one. I think Jason Smith is this kind of guy, i saw a glimmer of this when Berlin got creamed after Setterstrom let the linebacker fly through and blister him. JS was right there to make sure if he was ok. I also thought he might not be awesome right away, but a good fit with development.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -08-29-2009 at 12:40 PM.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Well we don't draft right tackles #2 overall, so the hope is that Smith is going to be a franchise left tackle for us. And before we plan his entire career on 3 pre-season games, let's not forget that he was believed to be the OT with the most upside of this year's draft class but was a bit raw so it's going to take a little bit for us to see exactly what we have in him.
    Agreed you do not draft a RT # 2 over all. He has to find his way to the LT spot sometime in the near future I hope. If he never plays on the left side this pick would have been wasted. But it is way too early to draw a conclusion.
    :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    Agreed you do not draft a RT # 2 over all. He has to find his way to the LT spot sometime in the near future I hope. If he never plays on the left side this pick would have been wasted. But it is way too early to draw a conclusion.
    I don't know if that would make him a wasted pick - by that I mean, if he turns into a stud right tackle for the next decade, he certainly won't be wasted on this team - but more of a disappointment in terms of what you'd expect to get out of a pick that high.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Nick, part of the reason that I see him as a right tackle is that he's a converted tight end. It's obvious that he was not destined from birth to be a left tackle like a Pace or Jones or Ogden. As far as I know, he's got amazing strength, which will probably put him somewhere around average this year and then above average next year with a full offseason of training, and that he relied on it throughout his career for his blocking. He could maul people so his technique is raw. You don't need as much technique on the right side, but you do need a ton of strength, as you usually see bull rushers on the right side.

Am I saying that Jason can never play the left side? No, of course not, but when we have a born left tackle on our team in Barron, it makes no sense to throw him to the wolves when he doesn't have the techniques to be able to win the battles consistently. Barron has the techniques now, and always has, to be able to play the left side, we just had a better left tackle than him on the team until now. Now he gets to play where I expect he'll shine. Meanwhile, with Jason on the right side, we should have a nasty run game with him paired with Cogs while we buy time for Jason to learn the techniques that he needs to excel in the league and prove that he has the most upside of any tackle in this draft. That's why I feel that he's a natural right tackle, especially when we have a natural left tackle in Barron.

Nick, part of the reason that I see him as a right tackle is that he's a converted tight end.
    Why do you think that makes him a better fit at right tackle then? Usually when you have a tackle with that kind of athleticism, you want to feature him at left tackle where he can use it to protect the quarterback's blind side from the opposition's (typically) best pass rusher.

As far as I know, he's got amazing strength
    Actually many scouting reports on Smith indicated that he needed to get stronger. He had a good showing on the bench press at the combine, but he disappointed in tests that indicated leg strength. Smith has an aggressive attitude and I think is usually on the prowl for someone to block, but I think he definitely needs to improve his strength, particularly in the lower body.

No, of course not, but when we have a born left tackle on our team in Barron, it makes no sense to throw him to the wolves when he doesn't have the techniques to be able to win the battles consistently.
    I've made my opinions on Barron known for a while now, but to shortly summarize, I'd prefer to not see him on this team next year. As for Smith, I actually would have liked to see him tried at left guard like the Ravens did with Ogden when they drafted him. That avoids "throwing him to the wolves" by playing him at left tackle from day one, but it allows him to work on the left side so that sliding to the tackle position at a later date is a bit more natural. I'm not necessarily opposed to him working on the right side, but I think the Rams drafted Jason Smith to be their left tackle of the future and, by playing him at right tackle, it means he's going to have another adjustment period transitioning from right side to left side, whenever that happens.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

lets look at this way...Barron tho not exactly a bust on the right side..pretty much everyone who has watched the Rams on a regular basis during his time at RT should realise he is not the answer there,to the degree that another season on the RT spot would very likely mean that he wouldnt get another contract next off-season and would therefore be off the team. creating another spot to be filled...
    if he does a good job at LT which many including myself believe he is better suited for and Jason Smith locks down the RT spot and gives us the best RT we`ve had since arguably the best OT ever in Jackie Slater...

is the 2nd overall pick still wasted just because he`s a RT instead of a LT?
    in a way you are getting your OT bookends for one high pick..and a re-treaded 1st rounder who was on his way out.

2nd overall is pretty high for a RT but id rather take a possible perennial Pro Bowl RT at the 2nd spot than a "franchise" QB that stinks it up like Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith..

also, remember that opposing defences dont just blitz the opponents Left/blind side..a good offense has good lineman all along the line!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

If he's really that good as a run blocker, there's no rule that says the team couldn't run to the left more than the right. For that matter, there's no rule that says the strong side has to be on the right, either. I think Jonathan Ogden would be a pretty good comparison if you want to look for a left tackle who has been known as much for his run blocking as his pass blocking.

I don't think you draft an offensive lineman that high unless you think he has the potential to be your starter at left tackle. My guess is that he plays at right tackle initially, but if he matures the way the team hopes he will, eventually he takes over on the left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast