Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RamDez
  • 2 Post By sjacksonrules

Thread: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game continues

The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game continues

Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2012, 9:36 AM EST J. Fisher<http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.word...7384.jpg?w=242> AP

Last week, Jeff Fisher supposedly was leaning toward picking the Dolphins. Then, he supposedly was on the verge of choosing the Rams.

Now, according to Mike Lombardi of NFL.com, Fisher has flip-flopped back to the Fins <NFL.com news: Fisher could make decision to join Dolphins over Rams> , and a decision could come Thursday.

Though Lombardi may indeed be right, this continues to come off as nothing more than a high-stakes leverage game, with Fisher playing one franchise against the other in the hopes of extracting the best possible deal. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but at some point Rams owner Stan Kroenke or Dolphins owner Stephen Ross — or both — need to stand up and say, “Enough.”

When it comes to former NFL coaches looking for another shot, Fisher is the prettiest girl at an ugly stick ball. With six playoff appearances in 17 seasons as an NFL head coach, he’s benefiting from the fact that Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher, and Jon Gruden have decided to stay home. Any of them would have supplanted Fisher as the must-have coach of 2012.

So when will someone from the Rams or the Dolphins have the sack to say so? Instead, these two franchises are allowing themselves to be played like fools, waiting around for Fisher to make up his mind, while trying to get more money from each one, instead of moving on to the next candidate.

And, yes, the next candidate may not have the same name recognition and/or sizzle. Mike McCarthy, Mike Tomlin, and Sean Payton had little name recognition, either. But things have worked out just fine for the Packers, Steelers, and Saints.

Besides, shouldn’t Kroenke be disturbed by the fact that Fisher’s camp leaked the notion that a possible relocation of the franchise to Los Angeles could become an issue in the negotiations? Kroenke should have contacted Fisher’s agent, Marvin Demoff, and demanded an immediate statement from Fisher refuting the report. And if Fisher refused, Kroenke should have moved on.

At this point, both Kroenke and Ross would be wise to move on. It’s obvious that they’re being played against each other. In the end, one will be left holding the bag.

Over the long term, the guy who’s holding the bag could have the better chance of ultimately holding a Lombardi Trophy.

Re: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game continues

When it comes to former NFL coaches looking for another shot, Fisher is the prettiest girl at an ugly stick ball. With six playoff appearances in 17 seasons as an NFL head coach, he’s benefiting from the fact that Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher, and Jon Gruden have decided to stay home. Any of them would have supplanted Fisher as the must-have coach of 2012.
    I LOVE this comment
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Tick...tick...tick.....

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post

Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2012, 9:36 AM EST

So when will someone from the Rams or the Dolphins have the sack to say so?
    I like this!

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I like this!
    Chris long had a lot of sacks this year ask him to do it.
    laram0 and THOLTFAN81 like this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

When I first heard that he was going to interview with the Rams on Saturday/Sunday, and would make a decision by Wednesday, I didn't believe it. This is a fairly important decision for him, and if it were me, I'd take the week to make the decision. I don't know but jumping into the job after one interview and a visit to the facilities is a pretty "knee-jerk" reaction and I would hope that he puts some real time and thought into it before he decides.

For one, I'm glad he's taking his time to weigh the options. IF he chooses the Dolphins, so be it. But at least he's giving it good consideration before he makes his choice, rather than just jumping in and taking it because the money was great, or whatever carrot they dangled in front of him.

The reaction around here and Miami is typical of the need for instant gratification of today's society. No patience, want everything now.....

Relax everyone, a few extra days of waiting will not kill you or the franchise.
    Last edited by RAMFANRAIDERHATER; -01-12-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    When I first heard that he was going to interview with the Rams on Saturday/Sunday, and would make a decision by Wednesday, I didn't believe it. This is a fairly important decision for him, and if it were me, I'd take the week to make the decision. I don't know but jumping into the job after one interview and a visit to the facilities is a pretty "knee-jerk" reaction and I would hope that he puts some real time and thought into it before he decides.

For one, I'm glad he's taking his time to weigh the options. IF he chooses the Dolphins, so be it. But at least he's giving it good consideration before he makes his choice, rather than just jumping in and taking it because the money was great, or whatever carrot they dangled in front of him.

The reaction around here and Miami is typical of the need for instant gratification of today's society. No patience, want everything now.....

Relax everyone, a few extra days of waiting will not kill you or the franchise.
    It's been a week. He interviewed with us on Thursday, and its been over a week since his interview with Miami.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

.....and your problem is? One week? The guy hasn't made a decision in 7 days and "we should move on"?

Really?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    .....and your problem is? One week? The guy hasn't made a decision in 7 days and "we should move on"?

Really?
    Trust me, I am not in the minority of this thinking. Majority of Rams + Dolphins fans are ready to move on.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Fisher has lost some class with all this, I have gone off him completely and this whole back and forth horse ka ka.

In fact, in other news today it has been reported that the earth revolves around the sun.