Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn

  1. #1
    THOLTFAN81's Avatar
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,938
    Rep Power
    25

    The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn

    Profootballtalk:

    As the football-watching world watches and waits for free-agent coach Jeff Fisher to pick between the Rams and the Dolphins, there’s a new development.

    And it’s a strange one.

    Adam Schefter of ESPN reports, citing a source close to Fisher (i.e., Fisher), that Fisher isn’t playing the Dolphins against the Rams, and vice-versa, in order to get the best possible deal. Taking it a step farther, Schefter reports that neither team has even made an offer to Fisher.

    So Fisher is going to choose between the Rams and the Dolphins, tell one of them “thanks” and “no thanks” in rapid succession, and then ask the winner to make an offer? If that’s the strategy, Fisher is either lying, or he’s no longer competent to handle his business affairs.

    And I’m not sure which one is worse.

    Obviously, it’s not true. If Fisher is choosing between the Rams and the Dolphins and neither the Rams nor the Dolphins have made him a job offer, then what is Fisher choosing? Bed sheets?

    There’s nothing wrong with exerting leverage, especially when dealing with a billion-dollar organization that is trying to hire someone with highly specialized skills to work long, stressful hours for most if not all of the year. Rarely if ever does one man hold so much power over members of the one percent’s one percent.

    So why would Fisher deny it? It appears to be a simple (and misguided) P.R. ploy, aimed at the least-common-denominator fans who’ll digest without scrutiny a flimsy, illogical report that Schefter happily passed along, also without scrutiny. (That’s not a knock on Schefter. Plenty of reporters routinely do the same thing in the name of getting a scoop and/or keeping a source happy.)

    Our job is to call it like we see it. And we see — more accurately, smell — something that goes by a variety of names, and that often is found lurking in the grass on a farm.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Great article, that is 100% spot on. This is a sad attempt at trying to come off as the 'good guy'. PFT took a word straight out of my mouth that I used in a different thread...this is getting bizzare.
    Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -01-12-2012 at 06:09 PM.


  2. #2
    cayal Guest

    Re: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn

    This is how Jeff Fisher's ego works.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

  3. #3
    Fettmaster's Avatar
    Fettmaster is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,299
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn

    And I don't like it.
    THOLTFAN81 and Dwight Frye like this.

  4. #4
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,946
    Rep Power
    170

    Re: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn

    Duh.

    Did ANYONE actually believe that no offers have been made? Perhaps the fine details have not been addressed, but OBVIOUSLY both Miami and St. Louis have offered Jeff Fisher a job and given some idea of what the job would pay.

    This is getting stupid.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

  5. #5
    THOLTFAN81's Avatar
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,938
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Duh.

    Did ANYONE actually believe that no offers have been made? Perhaps the fine details have not been addressed, but OBVIOUSLY both Miami and St. Louis have offered Jeff Fisher a job and given some idea of what the job would pay.

    This is getting stupid.
    Totally agree. It was a shallow attempt at some damage control by using his media buddies.

  6. #6
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,939
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn

    I don't see why some folks get so worked up about Fisher trying to get the best deal he can. It is a business after all. When he does sign, he won't be able to go back to the table 2 months down the road and renegotiate. He and Marv are trying to extract as much as they can while they have still the opportunity. So what! We'll likely forget all about it not long after he's signed, be it with us, or the Dolphins.

  7. #7
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,946
    Rep Power
    170

    Re: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn

    Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I don't see why some folks get so worked up about Fisher trying to get the best deal he can. It is a business after all. When he does sign, he won't be able to go back to the table 2 months down the road and renegotiate. He and Marv are trying to extract as much as they can while they have still the opportunity. So what! We'll likely forget all about it not long after he's signed, be it with us, or the Dolphins.
    I think if Fisher had indicated that he prefers one team and was simply negotiating the best deal, everyone would be fine with that. However, the impression being created is that he doesn't really care which team he coaches, and only cares about money/power.

  8. #8
    Tampa_Ram's Avatar
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bat Yam, Israel
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,957
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think if Fisher had indicated that he prefers one team and was simply negotiating the best deal, everyone would be fine with that. However, the impression being created is that he doesn't really care which team he coaches, and only cares about money/power.
    And here lies within the problem i have with him. well said Av. i understand a coach wanting to get the most he can, but he is showing hes in it for himself, and the team is in a distant 2nd. Thats not the kind of HC i want.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.


  9. #9
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,427
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn

    The truth is none of us know what's been offered by whom or what Fisher values most in a prospective job. There have been SO many reports ranging from erroneous to just plain ridiculous that we really have no idea what to believe. And this has been made worse by idiots like Jay Glazer and Adam Schefter- supposed insiders- who told us last weekend that a decision would be made by Tuesday and it was all but certain the Rams would have him. I have more animosity towards the media who have gotten everything wrong thus far than I do for Fisher.

  10. #10
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,939
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think if Fisher had indicated that he prefers one team and was simply negotiating the best deal, everyone would be fine with that. However, the impression being created is that he doesn't really care which team he coaches, and only cares about money/power.
    If Fisher indicates which team he prefers before he cuts a deal, he loses leverage. First and foremost this is a business. The money and power are important are they not? I don't like to think of it that way as a fan, but nevertheless it is. We also, as NJ pointed out, are not party to what has transpired behind closed doors, and can only guess at best. Jeff will make up his mind eventually and we'll move on. I'm not really sure I want him anyway, and it's got nothing to do with his negotiations or lack of them. Rather, I worry he might be too conservative. Are we missing out on the next Sean Payton if we hire Jeff? I know we're 0 for 2 with coordinators, but every great head coach had to get that first chance.

    For the record, I'm confused and riding the fence. At first I wanted Jeff, now I'm not so sure, and my waffling has nothing to do with Jeff procrastinating over his decision on which team he wants to coach. If the Fish chooses us fine and well, but if not, I'll hope be the new guy will be the next Avatar of coaching ..
    viper and mde8352gorams like this.

  11. #11
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,934
    Rep Power
    130

    Re: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn

    Maybe if Fisher would forget about the duck hunting he could get this thing done. It's like he's doing the negotiations while on vacation.

    Can't blame the guy for seeking the best deal possible, having to fly Southwest Airlines and all.............
    MauiRam and THOLTFAN81 like this.

  12. #12
    Fat Pang's Avatar
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn



    Good grief.

  13. #13
    Truth's Avatar
    Truth is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,433
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn

    Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    If Fisher indicates which team he prefers before he cuts a deal, he loses leverage. First and foremost this is a business. The money and power are important are they not? I don't like to think of it that way as a fan, but nevertheless it is. We also, as NJ pointed out, are not party to what has transpired behind closed doors, and can only guess at best. Jeff will make up his mind eventually and we'll move on. I'm not really sure I want him anyway, and it's got nothing to do with his negotiations or lack of them. Rather, I worry he might be too conservative. Are we missing out on the next Sean Payton if we hire Jeff? I know we're 0 for 2 with coordinators, but every great head coach had to get that first chance.

    For the record, I'm confused and riding the fence. At first I wanted Jeff, now I'm not so sure, and my waffling has nothing to do with Jeff procrastinating over his decision on which team he wants to coach. If the Fish chooses us fine and well, but if not, I'll hope be the new guy will be the next Avatar of coaching ..
    I agree. This is a business decision, and we have no idea what has been said or offered.I also don't think that his indecision means that he isn't particularly excited about the Rams or Fins. He could be equally excited about the prospect of coaching either team. We just don't know. He could be discussing the potential of each team with his desired coaching staff, his wife, or with his dog. We just don't know. However, the idea that no one has made him an offer of any kind is ridiculous. If it were true, both Ross and Kroenke should immediately give up their rights to run an NFL team. It's more likely that the offers are not formalized. That would be normal.

    As for hiring coordinators, I'd put us at 0-3. While the Martz experiment started out promising, it ended in complete disaster for the team. Hiring a coach (and his staff) is much like a draft choice; you just never know, until you know.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

  14. #14
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,292
    Rep Power
    109

    Re: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn

    Schefter reported last night that today is the day that Fisher is "supposed" reveal his decision. That's been the plan all along.

    Take it for what it's worth.

  15. #15
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,554
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game takes a bizarre turn

    Rams have made their offer and are not willing to pay the high price tag. Fisher is negotiating with the Fins as to front the office pecking order. So he is using the Rams to get the more control over the Fins as I see it. the Rams are being used, pull the plug on this guy already.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Jeff Fisher Leverage Game continues
    By RamDez in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: -01-12-2012, 04:46 PM
  2. Sources: Fisher using Rams as leverage over Miami
    By THOLTFAN81 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: -01-06-2012, 12:52 PM
  3. Why Jeff Fisher?
    By DE_Ramfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: -11-28-2011, 05:03 PM
  4. The Soap Opera takes a turn for the better.
    By laram0 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -10-23-2008, 01:36 AM
  5. Tucker Takes Turn at Tackle
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -08-05-2005, 10:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •