Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Jeff Gordon's Post Game Comments - Not looking good for McCollum

On McCollum:
    -Linehan said his knee injury "does not look good," so the Rams could be looking at a long-term injury there. Now we'll see if Larry Turner is good enough.

On red zone failures:
    -Linehan said the Rams spent extra time on the red zone both Thursday and Friday, so he was puzzled by the failure. He blamed his playcalling and suggested that everybody may have been pressing down in the red zone. As he noted, the penalties and "negative yards" plays had big impacts on the inability to convert.

Defensive newcomers:
    -These guys all made big plays -- Tye Hill, Will Witherspoon, Corey Chavous, Fakhir Brown . . . O.J. Atoge had some big hits and Jimmy Kennedy went back out there with a broken hand and battled, A lot of defensive players will be smiling during film study.

Special teams:
    -Linehan praised Turk's punting, Wilkins (obviously) and his kick coverage units. There were a few costly penalties along the way, but you could certainly see some intensity on special teams. Guys wanted to get to the ball.

Bulger:
    -If there was a be negative, it was his play at QB. He just wasn't sharp. Perhaps that was the result of playing so little during the preseason. He made some big plays and he didn't spit the ball up -- something Linehan referenced again and again after the game -- but he missed several plays he usually hits.

That gives us all something to watch for next week.

Linehan on the offense:
    -He didn't to dwell on it after the W, but he did note that the Rams were able to catch the Broncos in a few blitzes late in the game with plays like the Fisher screen pass. As I noted earlier, he talked about how much extra time the team spent on red zone execution -- only to come up empty. So he suggested the whole group just needed to relax when it gets the ball down close to the goal.

On coverage teams:
    -Linehan cited the old football adage "10 percent technique, 90 percent effort" when it came to the coverage. There are a lot of new guys on coverage and they really got after it.

Lack of TEs:
    -Yeah, we saw them well-used in the preseason, then they didn't get a whiff Sunday. Part of that was the Denver D, but there was one red zone play in partcular where Aaron Walker broke wide open in the end zone . . . only to see an incomplete pass go elsewhere.

Jackson/Davis:
    -I liked the way Jackson ran today -- he turned it up between the tackles and took on a LOT of tacklers. Davis will get more involved as he gets in better shape -- and as the Rams have more sustained drivers, necessitating the use of a second featurre back.

Penalties:
    -Given the stress Linehand's staff has put on NOT taking penalties, some of those fouls were pretty egregious. So, sure, you can expect another week of emphasis on that at Rams Park.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Jeff Gordon's Post Game Comments - Not looking good for McCollum

Atleast he sin't making any excuses for theredzone failue and acknowledges that it is his fault.

Good game overall.
    RamsFan16

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

On McCollum:
    -Linehan said his knee injury "does not look good," so the Rams could be looking at a long-term injury there. Now we'll see if Larry Turner is good enough.
    This is extremely bad news. When McCollum left the game, things went south in a hurry. Turner was absolutely horrible today, hopefully he can turn that around because it looks like he's slated to be the guy for now.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    On McCollum:
    This so sad for Andy. Don't remember the play where he got hurt, I know it was early in the game. Hopefully, it's not as bad as first reports.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

:l

On McCollum:
    Bummer!

On red zone failures:
    -Linehan said the Rams spent extra time on the red zone both Thursday and Friday, so he was puzzled by the failure. He blamed his playcalling and suggested that everybody may have been pressing down in the red zone. As he noted, the penalties and "negative yards" plays had big impacts on the inability to convert.
    Playcalling was not the best. I think he gave up on the run when the Rams were close.

Special teams:
    -Linehan praised Turk's punting, Wilkins (obviously) and his kick coverage units. There were a few costly penalties along the way, but you could certainly see some intensity on special teams. Guys wanted to get to the ball.
    This fan took notice and it was indeed a breath of fresh air. I for one certainly hope this continues.

Bulger:
    -If there was a be negative, it was his play at QB. He just wasn't sharp. Perhaps that was the result of playing so little during the preseason. He made some big plays and he didn't spit the ball up -- something Linehan referenced again and again after the game -- but he missed several plays he usually hits.

That gives us all something to watch for next week.
    A tad bit rusty and it showed. Certainly has to be from not getting enough live reps during preseason and the new offense. I'll take that given the thought of an unneccessary injury in a meaningless preseason game. No dumb mistakes or turnovers always says a lot.

Penalties:
    -Given the stress Linehand's staff has put on NOT taking penalties, some of those fouls were pretty egregious. So, sure, you can expect another week of emphasis on that at Rams Park.
    Got to clean that up. NO MORE GROUP CELEBRATING!!! It should be obvious now that they will call it.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    This is extremely bad news. When McCollum left the game, things went south in a hurry. Turner was absolutely horrible today, hopefully he can turn that around because it looks like he's slated to be the guy for now.
    Agreed completely. I think Turner's efforts were best summed up by two plays - one on an outside run where his guy completely bowled him over and tackled Jackson before Steven could get to the edge and the second where he essentially just fell flat on his stomach and allowed a big sack against Bulger. As critical as I've been of the interior line, I think losing McCollum for any serious amount of time is going to be a big blow on this line. Andy may not be the most powerful blocker but he's smart, physical, and plays technically well IMO. Turner just looked lost at times.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    In that case, I hope Setterstrom is ready. By all accounts he was solid in training camp and has worked with the starting O-line. My guess is that they move Incognito to center and plug Setterstrom in at LG if Turner can't handle the job. Claude Terrell's injury doesn't help the situation much. This could become a huge concern if nobody steps up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    No dumb mistakes or turnovers always says a lot.l
    Very true. It seemed today that Bulger didn't really force the ball as much as he has in recent years under Martz. Instead he threw some passes away, though one of them was an intentional grounding. He has to clean up some of his throws, but I also don't think Denver's secondary was giving him a lot to work with. It didn't seem to me like they blitzed a lot, which meant more people in coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man View Post
    In that case, I hope Setterstrom is ready. By all accounts he was solid in training camp and has worked with the starting O-line. My guess is that they move Incognito to center and plug Setterstrom in at LG if Turner can't handle the job. Claude Terrell's injury doesn't help the situation much. This could become a huge concern if nobody steps up.
    Very true, but hopefully they can get Turner playing at at least an efficient level. Richie certainly has experience at center, but not in our offense. I like his talent and potential more than Turner though, so that's a move that I wouldn't mind seeing if Larry can't get it done.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Too early too tell about an injury that befell on us too early in the season. :\

I agree w/you, R8rh8rmike, it just sounds terrible. I know McCollum will want to pull a 'Tom Nütten' stunt to return and play ASAP -- no make that sooner than possible -- but by the same token, he better get that knee to HEAL as WELL as possible! The show has just begun!

...I hope Setterstrom is ready. By all accounts he was solid in training camp and has worked with the starting O-line. My guess is that they move Incognito to center and plug Setterstrom in at LG if Turner can't handle the job. -- EDM
    Agreed. Most likely scenario. // Now, I forgot, where did Tony Palmer end up?

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Now, I forgot, where did Tony Palmer end up?
    He was claimed by Green Bay, I believe.

And I agree with you about McCollum not trying to force himself back on the field. He won't be helping anyone trying to play with an injured knee.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It seemed today that Bulger didn't really force the ball as much as he has in recent years under Martz.
    Nick, I was thinking the same thing when I was writing my comment, but was reluctant to include a gut feeling that might be misconstrued as a dig at Martz. However, it did seem that way. Martz always seemed to have some sort of demanding presence towards the QB to throw the ball down the field into those tight windows.