MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Jenkins still available for the right price ...

The Herald | heraldonline.com

Jenkins still available for the right price
    By Darin Gantt The Herald - Updated 04/22/07 - 1:03 AM
    CHARLOTTE -- While many believe the clock's ticking on defensive tackle Kris Jenkins' time with the Carolina Panthers, the team's keeping up a stiff upper lip in the face of all the recent trade speculation.
    The team has offered him in trade, but hasn't been overwhelmed by an offer yet. Thus, they've indicated to others they're willing to hang on to him if no one meets their price. However, they haven't talked to Jenkins about what's going on, and he's left town to go to his Maryland home until the situation is resolved.

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney has refused to comment on the possibility of a trade, but when he was asked last week if he or coach John Fox had spoken to Jenkins, Hurney replied: "We'll see him when he comes back for minicamp."

That's the company stance, but few outside their building believe the three-time Pro Bowler will still be here a week from now.

St. Louis desperately needs help at his position, and Rams coach Scott Linehan responded directly to a question about trading for Jenkins in a pre-draft press conference last week.

"I can acknowledge that we'd be interested in making our team better in that area -- with him or anybody," Linehan told reporters there.

Other moves might have narrowed the field a bit. Kansas City has re-signed starters Ron Edwards and James Reed. Jenkins would be an obvious upgrade talent-wise, but it's unclear if the Chiefs are interested in coughing up more than the third-round pick the Panthers have reportedly turned down.

Denver remains in the mix, and they're perilously thin at the position. Starter Michael Myers left the Broncos last week for Cincinnati, and their lone free agent pick-up was former Panthers reserve Alvin McKinley, a backup at best. They need the help and have been willing in the past to take on players who had worn out welcomes elsewhere. The also brought punter Todd Sauerbrun back last week.

Several league sources said they anticipate a deal to come during the draft. There are two first-round prospects at the position, and once Louisville's Amobi Okoye and Michigan's Alan Branch go, a team might become more motivated to obtain Jenkins.

Raze is offline Registered User

Re: Jenkins still available for the right price ...

when will the saga end

someone sign him already whether it be us or anyone else

bloody dreaming of Jenkins his name is on SI.com so much

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Several league sources said they anticipate a deal to come during the draft. There are two first-round prospects at the position, and once Louisville's Amobi Okoye and Michigan's Alan Branch go, a team might become more motivated to obtain Jenkins.
    The problem, of course, is when this happens the leverage switchs from the Rams to the Panthers. Right now, the Rams are not in panic mode (there are DTs available), while the Panthers near panic (they have a DT who doesn't want to be there). Once Okoye and Branch are off the board, the table turns.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont really see it that way bison. The rams cant expect that okoye will be on the board. They have to know thats a major major longshot. The drafting of branch isnt going to change the immediate need for jenkins anyway as branch is not going to solve our problems on day one. Its really apples to oranges in my opinion.

I think the key consideration is what denver and/or kc is going to do. In short, do we have a one team race (rams only) or is there going to be competitive bidding. That is what will determine what he finally gets traded for.

I will say this, i am willing to bet 25 cents that jenkins is traded to someone, i hope its us.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

GC, I agree. The other teams involved are a certain variable. However, in the scope of the article's point about the availability of Okoye and Branch, I think the pendulum shifts once those two are gone. Personally, I think the trade needs to happen AND we need to draft either Branch or Okoye in the first. But right now, the only leverage we have is the availability of those two DTs. Once that is gone, the advantage goes back to Carolina.

Now, with that being said, I think a deal gets done by somebody long before Okoye and Branch are drafted. However, in this narrow scope, their availability is a key leverage point for (at this point) the Rams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    However, in the scope of the article's point about the availability of Okoye and Branch, I think the pendulum shifts once those two are gone.
    I'm not so sure about that HUb. I think we'd still be fine if we were able to trade down in the 1st and pick up Justin Harrell. That assumes we can find a trading partner, of course. I think that option takes the pressure off of us and leaves it in Carolina's lap.

I've said in another thread that I don't think we have to take Okoye or Branch. There are probably some good DT prospects later in the first day that could be solid players without the high risks associated with high 1st round DT's. Whether we do that by trading down or taking a different defensive position at 13 is another question.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Now, with that being said, I think a deal gets done by somebody long before Okoye and Branch are drafted. However, in this narrow scope, their availability is a key leverage point for (at this point) the Rams.
    Why do you think it will get done long before Okoye and Branch get drafted? This is high stakes poker with the aforementioned DTs playing a major role in who gives what for who. The Rams (assuming they REALLY want Jenkins) probably know the max they are willing to pay to acquire Jenkins if it comes down to a bidding war. That said -- why not wait until draft day to see who drops to them and then pull the trigger? If the Rams are lucky, they might be able to get Jenkins for a 3 (and a player or later pick) rather than surrendering a #2. As you said the pendulum will swing one way or another. At least it will be right out there in the open with no dealing from the bottom of the deck ...

Quote Originally Posted by maui
    Why do you think it will get done long before Okoye and Branch get drafted?
    Because between the Chiefs, Broncos, and the Rams, somebody will blink and give the Panthers what they're asking for, prior to the first pick.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Because between the Chiefs, Broncos, and the Rams, somebody will blink and give the Panthers what they're asking for, prior to the first pick.
    I would think it would have to be really good for them to not want to wait until the picks happen. If I were Carolina if I was not getting a 1st I would probably wait until the start of the second round to let all those teams sweat it out and make them think they are all in it. Then they could still trade for a 2nd and possibly another pick. IMO the waiting game by Carolina only ups the price on what the teams will have to give for Jenkins. Because no team looking for a DT will get a DT in the draft that will make as much of an impact as Jenkins over the next two years.

What do you think it would be for them to for go the waiting game?

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

i have heard the Broncos are looking to move up the second overall spot, so they might not have the ability to trade for Jenkins

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    i have heard the Broncos are looking to move up the second overall spot, so they might not have the ability to trade for Jenkins
    I've heard this too. But who do the Broncs want at 2?

Calvin is the only name that comes to mind, and they'd probably be looking at losing a first, second and next year's frist... i think

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I've heard this too. But who do the Broncs want at 2?

Calvin is the only name that comes to mind, and they'd probably be looking at losing a first, second and next year's frist... i think
    Broncos | Team makes offers for second overall pick
    Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:12:52 -0700

Nicholas Cotsonika, of the Detroit Free Press, reports the Denver Broncos have made two offers to the Detroit Lions involving the the second overall pick, according to the Denver Post. The first offer included LB Al Wilson and the Broncos' first-round pick. The second offer involved the Broncos' first-, second- and third-round picks in the 2007 NFL Draft, as well as their first-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.
    i cant see the Lions taking the offer involving Al Wilson, seeing as how he is set to be a free agent anyway, however im not sure if they could refuse that second offer, its just too many picks. If Denver did give up their first day picks then they definitely wont be able to pick up Jenkins.

However it does seem that the only player they could want to grab at No.2 is Calvin Johnson. Unless they are predicting the Lions to take Gaines Adams and want to get in front of them. But thats not likely.