general counsel is offline Registered User

jenkins vs leonard revisited

Many on this board (me included) advocated trading a second round pick for kris jenkins. Lets go back and look at whether that would have helped us. Presumably, had we made that deal, we might or might not have still picked carriker. We may have picked reevis, the cornerback instead. Patrick Willis was already gone as was jamaal anderson.

Would we be better off with kris jenkins on the team right now than brian leonard? I have no idea how jenkins is playing this year and i think leonard shows real promise as a backup to jackson for the future.

Keep in mind that had we traded for jenkins, we most likely would have signed him to a big money long term contract.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: jenkins vs leonard revisited

Through 6 games, Jenkins has 15 tackles and 1 sack playing UT next to Maake Kemoautuea.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm not convinced that a second round pick would have netted us Jenkins, but for the sake of argument, I'd say no, I don't look back and wish we made such a trade.

Leonard is a nice player, but the real reason is that I'd rather be where we are now - developing a tandem of young and very promising DTs - than relying on a big money FA who has had injury problems.

rammiser is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm not convinced that a second round pick would have netted us Jenkins, but for the sake of argument, I'd say no, I don't look back and wish we made such a trade.

Leonard is a nice player, but the real reason is that I'd rather be where we are now - developing a tandem of young and very promising DTs - than relying on a big money FA who has had injury problems.

I have to agree with av here. We have two very promising young DT's. I love Ryan and actually think he is out performing Carriker. Carriker is also holding his own though and they both show flashes they could be very good. Leonard is ok I would have rather taken Eric Wright cb out of UNLV but we needed a backup rb and Leonard fits the bill.
    Just Fix It

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I'd agree with AV as regards youth over experience in this case.

Plus if Jenkins had signed, he''d probably be laying up somewhere with his leg in a cast by now.....................

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I was one who said we should make the trade if we could, and I stand by that. We had a glaring need for a run stopping DT, and it's been proven time and time again that for the Rams, good DTs are much harder to find than a RB.

If you're asking me the question as a result of all the injuries and everything else that's gone on this season, what our bigger need is today, then obviously with SJ out and Carriker and particularly Ryan playing well, Leonard certainly is more of a need.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'm content with how the defensive tackle situation worked out. However, the question still remains whether a player that is unlikely to be more than a backup for us is good value for a second round pick. The better he plays, the less likely we'll be able to afford to keep him and Jackson when Leonard's contract expires.

helorm341 Guest

looking at only the present year, it would have helped, but enough to be any more then 1-5? I highly highly doubt that.

Looking to the future it would have hurt us, Kris Jenkins would not single handedly be the saviour of our team this year