Thread: Jerome Carter

jquarando is offline Registered User

Jerome Carter

Guys, I am doing some thinking and I want to get some input here. Jerome Carter is our backup SS and is very young. He came out of Florida State as a guy who always has a knack for getting to the ball. He has never really had a chance to shine playing behind the contract of Chavous and some injuries. Should this guy be given a chance to compete with Chavous for the starting job and thus saving us a SS draft pick in a weak safety class? Here are some tidbits I found on him.

Known as a ferocious tackler in the Seminoles stingy defensive backfield, Carter started all 13 games his junior season. He earned All-ACC Honorable Mention and ranked fourth on team with 78 tackles (45 solo, 33 assisted. Carter recorded a season-high nine tackles in both Miami and Virginia games. He also registered five tackles for loss, two interceptions, two quarterback hurries, two pass break-ups, and a forced fumble on the season. In the team's disappointing Orange Bowl defeat to Miami, Carter had five tackles, an interception return for 30 yards and one tackle for loss, including half a sack. Carter also had the play of the day in the Seminoles' Garnet and Gold game, returning a deflected pass 88 yards for a touchdown.
    Jerome Carter

Scouting Report: A hard-nosed, enthusiastic player with a love of the big hit. . Helpful on special teams and willing to stick his nose in the box as a run stopper. Has plenty of potential.

Last Year: Played in 14 games, starting two and working on special teams in all. Finished with 40 tackles and a pair of passes defended.

Outlook: Played mostly strong safety as a rookie and is attempting to learn the nuances of the free safety spot. Will be able to bounce back and forth, but should get the chance to compete for a starting spot as the free safety.

TRANSACTIONS:
    4/24/05 selected by St. Louis with the first pick in the fourth round (117th overall) in 2005 NFL Draft.
    PRO: Hard-hitting, hard-working player.
    2006 SEASON: Played in 13 games.
    Made first career interception in Week 4 vs. Detroit 10/1.
    Made a season-high five tackles (four solo) and one pass defensed in Week 5 at Green Bay 10/8.
    Made one interception in Week 11 at Carolina 11/19, and returned it a career-high 36 yards.
    2005 SEASON: Played in 14 games, starting two.
    Made a career-high 12 tackles in first start at strong safety at Houston 11/27.
    Placed on reserve/injured list 12/28 with ankle injury.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: Jerome Carter

Carter has always looked solid to me in the limited game time he has gotten. I see no reason why he shouldn't be in the mix to compete for PT.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

i am a miami guy, but i do think Jerome carter is a good player even though he is a Nole.. i say give the guy a shot... you never know what will happen.

keith m. klink Guest

ilike the kid , and kinda thought he should have gone higher in the draft . if he can stay healthy and on the field , i think that he would be a good match-up with ATOGWE . this is a pretty young d-backfield if chavous isn't there . i think he deserves a chance , and a long look .

viper is online now Registered User

He has seemed like the forgotten player. Especiallly since Todd Johnson arrived. IIRC, he did have some difficulties in reading plays correctly at times. But, I think that would improve with some consistant playing time. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a fair shot at SS.

Wasn't he a 3rd round draft choice? That's usually someone that should be able to come in and compete for a job.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I like this guy i think he OJ and him and him could compliment each other and make a great Safety combo. A big hitter paired with a ball hawk

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Our secondary killed us at times, like in the Green Bay game when they were supposedly playing deep thirds while we blitzed 8 and let a guy go free up the middle for a TD.

I say anyone on the roster should get a chance to battle to start.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

I think our secondary Is widely Underrated. we played the 2nd half of the season without tye hill and the first 4 without Fakhir Brown, we Just need to get Healty in all aspects of our team, It's not fair to judge our players when we were so badly hit with the injury bug.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Over the last three seasons, I really haven't seen a lot from Carter to make me think he's more than a situational player. As I recall, he was billed as a big hitter and quality tackler, but I don't think he's displayed those traits that much while here. I'm not convinced he's anything other than adequate in either area, and I don't think he brings much to the table in terms of coverage skills.

He's had problems staying healthy through his pro career, so he probably hasn't had the chance to make as much progress as he could. In the end, he's a restricted free agent who will likely get a low to medium tender and be kept as a special teams player, but I don't envision him contributing in anything more than a situational role.

Let's put it this way - do the Rams need to go out and sign Todd Johnson to a multi-year contract if Jerome Carter is on the verge of challenging for a starting job in this secondary? Probably not.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

keith m. klink Guest

linehan wanted johnson for his ability as a solid backup safety , and a special teams monster . he was brought in for more of the ST work .

chiguy is offline Registered User

I never fail to appreciate some fans' desire to believe that (insert name) player on the roster who has accomplished nothing will be great in the following season. I guess Carter is just our first run at that this season.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

You guys want me to ask him what he thinks? Give me specific questions and I'll see if he will answer them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-24-2008, 04:00 PM