Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

The Jerry Gray thread

It is plasted all over the internet about Jerry Gray becoming our next head coach. Even Nfl.com has something on it. I find this very intriguing and interesting. If it needs to happen and does I guess I would like to keep Fairchild. Not sure what, if any offensive experience Gray has.

rampete is offline Registered User

Re: The Jerry Gray thread

the only experiences on offense that jerry gray has had was when he played against it and picked off passes...

jerry may just be the right guy for this organization...he's a former all-pro ram, he's defense oriented and he may be desperate enough to put up with the barnum and bailey acts at rams park...

as the current DC in buffalo, he hasn't done much in the run defense department...buffalo is ranked 31 in run defense; rams rank 27...

sure, the bills rank #2 in pass defense, but also has the least pass attempts thrown their way...why pass when you can cut thru their run d like hot knife in butter...

but who cares about numbers? he's a former ram and has never been a head coach in the collegiate nor nfl ranks...just what the FO wants and needs...
    Last edited by rampete; -11-17-2005 at 11:38 PM.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

ESPN radio said there's a lot of noise coming from the Ram's Front Office about their interest in Jerry Gray.

Gray is a roll of the dice because he hasn't been a head coach. He fits the profile of what this Front office wants, somone willing to work the position on their terms.

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -11-17-2005 at 07:40 PM.

Chiledog is offline Registered User

As Martz sits in his hospital bed (whether actually in the hospital or at home) people are writing this stuff. Unbelievable!! I wonder how this makes Mike feel?

I just can't believe that the FO is going to take advantage of his temprary health problem to give him his pink slip. Sure, if we compare it to the way Mike dumped Warner, if might appear as justice served (yea, I know, a lot of you are not going to agree with that statement), but Mike has done nothing to deserve being fired. If he is, he will be out of work for no more than one week, and come back to haunt us as HC for another team.
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

IF the Rams are in need of a new coach after this season, I agree with Jason that Jerry Gray would be an intriguing choice. He's done some pretty impressive things in Buffalo as the defensive coordinator the last 5 years, and before that as the defensive backs coach for 2 of his 4 years in Tennessee. It also doesn't hurt that he's a former Ram great.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I wonder how this makes Mike feel?
    On one hand, he's probably infuriated that so many would assume his departure......but on the other hand, Martz is a very smart man who is quite fluent in "writing on the wall". So it's probably not much of a shock at all.

I'm sure one of these days a reporter will find him and ask him about it. He'll respond with something along the lines of......"I have every intention of being the Head Coach of the Rams in 2006".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

i hope martz is back, but i doubt it, you can bet that martz is sending out feelers to teams that could be in the market for a head coach next season.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

How can anyone know who the Rams are leaning toward as their next head coach? Is someone talking? Is there someone listening in on private conversations?

Or.... dare I say.... has rampant speculation now replaced facts in the world of sports journalism?

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

So Gray is next HC and Ellard gets promoted to OC.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

majorram is offline Registered User

I'm still in Martz corner, I want this guy back or we are going to really regret this!!!!

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

i agree, lets get martz back, but the writing seems to be on the wall,i believe mad mike is done in st. louis.

curley4me is offline Registered User

i agree with the last two guys, mike martz should be here.at our peak we scored 500 points 2 years in a row and just came up short a third one(NFL records for twice in a row i think), all with "mad mikeys mix" of offensive tunes that nobody could figure out (at least for a while). i really believe that if he goes elsewhere that it will come back to haunt us, i mean look what happened today with our man kurt, he slayed us! does anybody remember when holt and hakim went down the sidelines to score with their helmets bobbin' and lookin' like they were connected? there was NOBODY around for at least 25 yards, another mike martz play from his cranium!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

at our peak we scored 500 points 2 years in a row and just came up short a third one(NFL records for twice in a row i think)
    Actually, Curley it was 3 times in a row:
    1999 - 526 points
    2000 - 540 points
    2001 - 503 points

Only team to ever accomplish that feat.
    In fact, the only other teams to ever crack 500 that I can think of are the:
    1994 niners - 505
    2004 Colts - 522
    1984 Dolphins - 513
    1983 Redskins - 541
    Last edited by HUbison; -11-21-2005 at 09:58 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Jerry Gray had a real bad day yesterday. His D gave up almost 50 points to SanDiego (35 in the first half).

And Buff is giving up way too many rushing yards this year.
    Before yesterday (updated Stats aren't out yet), his DEF actually had given up more rushing yards than our Marmie's DEF this year. Even with our struggles against the Run this year we've given up less than Buff in yards.

Rip32 is offline Registered User

Remember this if Gray comes our chances go up about
    signing Nate Clements who is someone I think should be first on our shopping list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast