Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Jets Bomb Rams 47-3; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The Rams suffered the third worst defeat in their 71 year history today losing to the Jets 47-3. I havent determined yet whether the 40-0 halftime deficit set a new Rams record for first half futility, but its a safe bet that it was our worst first half ever. Only a 47 point loss to the bears in 1942 and a 48 point loss to the whiners in 1987 represented larger margains of defeat. Its a good thing the Jets took the knee in the red zone at the end or that record would have fallen as well.

There isnt much to say other than the obvious. The team needs to be rebuilt, starting with the offensive line. The defense was disgraceful today. It was nothing short of an debacle of epic magnitude. An NFL game should NEVER be this one sided.

The Good

Darby had two nice blitz pickups.
    Jones was solid.
    Brown made his one field goal attempt
    Sadly, thats it.

The Bad

Defensively. We had no ability to stop the run, allowing Jones to gallop for 107 first half yards, 53 on the first drive. The line was gashed all day long. We had no pass rush of any kind. We had blown coverages down the field. We had poor tackling. We had two drops for certain INT's down by the goal line (Brown and Craft) when the score was still remotely close. Quite obviously, when your D Line gets blown off the line of scrimmage play after play, you are going to lose and lose badly. The Jets scored on all 7 first half possessions. What else can you say?

Offensively. The line stinks, we had four first half turnovers, we almost got bulger killed, bulger threw one lousy INT and we were outgained 246-88 in yardage in the first half. Again, haslett killed any remote shot of having a season by leaving jackson in too long in the dallas game. Today, i am not sure that Jim Thorpe and Red Grange would have helped, we were outplayed so badly in the trenches. If the announcers got it right, Pace made a bad read and the blitzing Jet clobbered bulger leading to a fumble and a TD to make it 17-0. The game was over at half and Green played the second half, throwing a terrible INT into the end zone.

The Ugly

This entire game was so ugly there is no way to point out anything specific, other than to say that i thought that the dropped INT's say it all about the rams season. We simply dont have the ability to make a play when we need to, even when the ball hits us in the hands.

Summary

The whiners are next. Only time will tell if the Rams will go completely into the tank as they play out the string and we all think about draft picks for next year and free agency. I truly hope we dont have the usual suspects screaming about how this loss is because bulger sux because any idiot can see that the rams completely failed to show up defensively today and our offensive line play in the first half, combined with missing jackson, gave us no chance at all in this game.

Lets see whether all the people who wanted to sign up haslett after the dallas and washington games are still on the bandwagon. Its a fair debate and too early to tell. In forty years of watching rams games, this is truly one of the only times i can remember that i completely at all loss to name one single positive takeaway from this performance.

One side note. The Jets coach is a MORON for having thomas jones running with 5 minutes left in a 40 point game, especially when they have a crucial game coming up thursday night. He is their key runner, why take the risk. It makes no sense at all.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

RockinRam is online now Registered User

Re: Jets Bomb Rams 47-3; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. 40 point lead, Favre and Jones are still in the game.

I don't think it was really ever the coaches fault we lost our games. We just cannot execute.

If we can't even beat San Fran, I am going to cry, and then go out for dinner and order a big, fat steak.

Phantom49 is offline Registered User

Was Darby injured?

RockinRam is online now Registered User

Dont think so, but I saw that Avery was shaken up after the tackle he made on the interception.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Rams defense set the tone early, it's like they didn't want to play!
    Another RB putting up HOF #'s on the weak Rams D!
    Maybe the Rams get angry and take it out on the Fortyniners, next week!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    One side note. The Jets coach is a MORON for having thomas jones running with 5 minutes left in a 40 point game, especially when they have a crucial game coming up thursday night. He is their key runner, why take the risk. It makes no sense at all.
    Maybe, he assumed our guys don't hit hard enough that there was any risk of injury. They certainly didn't fear us when they went for it on 4th and short at midfield in the first quarter. Then they went for it again on 4th and 2 on the same drive!

eldfan is offline Registered User

Thanks GC I try to keep hope alive but this team has little talent and we are at the mercy of our opponent.
    :ramlogo:

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    Thanks GC I try to keep hope alive but this team has little talent and we are at the mercy of our opponent.
    See, I just can't agree with this. A team with little talent wouldn't have gone to Washington and won. It wouldn't have whooped the Cowboys, even though they were without a few key players.

Now, I'm not saying that we don't have some rubbish players starting for this team; we clearly do. But we do have some talent; what we don't have is the right mentality.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Maybe, he assumed our guys don't hit hard enough that there was any risk of injury. They certainly didn't fear us when they went for it on 4th and short at midfield in the first quarter. Then they went for it again on 4th and 2 on the same drive!
    CONGRATULATIONS Goldenfleece, on 2,000th post! KEEP IT GOING!
    Last edited by dgr828; -11-09-2008 at 05:32 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    We had two drops for certain INT's down by the goal line (Brown and Craft) when the score was still remotely close.
    Yep, our cornerbacks will NEVER be asked to play receiver. Those lost opportunities by Brown and Craft were absolutely critical and continued the trend of Rams defensive backs looking at their hands after failing to take advantage of gimme int's served up on a silver platter.

Distant Ram, there is no comparison between the rams team on the field today and the team that beat washington and dallas. We dont beat either washington or dallas without steven jackson. He is our best offensive weapon by far. Without him, we are truly lacking talent wise with a pathetic offensive line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

DistantRam is offline Registered User

GC, do you really think that we're a one-man team? That goes against everything I've ever read on here (and other fora) concerning team sports....

39thebeast is offline Registered User

If we loose to the niners I think its time to get in the race for 2nd overall pick because nooo one is worse than the Lions. If the Lions go QB like they should we would have our pick from 3 frachise left tackles Oher, Smith, and Monroe

distant, i dont think that we are a one man team, but we are a one man running game and jackson out of the backfield is also a major weapon. Jackson makes a lousy offensive line look a LOT better because when he gets any hole at all he is capable of a huge gain and we just dont have that from anyone else. We are an entirely different team without jackson, who is one of the five best all around weapons in the nfl.

No intended at you distant, but there are a number of people that just dont seem to understand that the critical determining factor in any football game at any level is the play in the trenches. We are getting manhandled on both sides of the ball at the point of attack and more than anything else, that explains why we stink. My point is that without jackson, we dont have a shot. Teams dont have to respect the run and it makes our subpar pass blocking that much worse.

Bernie line "Football is largely a game of wills" is 100% crap. Its a battle at the point of attack, i dont see where Will is the key. Strength and technique sure, but i dont see Will as the critical component. The rams didnt get creamed today because they lacked will, they got killed because the Jets beat the crap out of us on both sides of the ball. Skill position players are only as good as their blocking.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Today was disgusting. I am speechless. Today was the first time I have actually taken off my jersey and put it back on the hanger. I was upset, and the guys at school are going to tease me. But oh well. It happens.

One other thing, if we lose to San Fran. I'm going to go bonkers. I can't really use the words I want to if we lose to them. I know Jackson will be out. But for crying out loud. Use two blow outs as motivation and freaking play football.

I for one am already looking forward to the offseason. I have been researching who will be a free agent this year and which players are in the draft.

Sorry to say that, but it feels as if I lost hope for this season after this one guys...I'll still root but today was just unbearable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast