Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Jets Bomb Rams 47-3; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Well GC, for today's game I was anticipating your weekly thread more along this title:

THE UGLY, THE HIDEOUS, and THE HORRIBLE.

Quite memorable are these last two seasons -- even if we manage to produce some decorum and decency by the end of December.

* The NFL teams mock us directly or indirectly, willingly or not with the highlights and results of playing against (and, alas, with) the Rams.

* The Rams fans are hurting, the media is finding it hard whom to blame or at least "write" about.

* ClanRam moderators will be protecting Vs. riots on the thread streets.

* We're looking into the 2009 draft.

Brown paper bag hats are expected at the Dome. **SIGH!**
    Last edited by RealRam; -11-09-2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: **SIGH!**

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

GC, you are right the game is won and lost in the trenches. But the WILL does come into play in the trenches. If we have more motivation we can beat our opponent on the other side of the line. This team isn't motivated!

The rest of the games this season should be a test for players who will fit the mold of motivated, aggressive (no penalties) and talented. From there we begin to rebuild. I do think our draft will have to include getting a quarterback who will compete for the starting job in another year or so. I was hoping we could concentrate on the O-line and LB spots. I am not saying Bulger sux, but his spirit must be getting broken with the weekly pounding he takes. For crying out loud, can we also draft a fullback who will protect Bulger in the pocket.

Go Rams!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Just a question for everyone. Why do people think that are guys arent trying? What does anyone see that leads anyone to believe that we lack "will" vs lacking ability, strength or technique or talent? The fact that we have a bunch of aging vets and high picks doesnt mean per se that these guys are any good. Carriker for example, who is playing hurt, is also still playing out of position (part of the brilliant strategy of picking a guy #12 and changing his position).

We have made atrocious personnel decisions and thats why we stink. Its not lack of will thats killing our offensive line, its the decision to pass on ryan khalil to take brian leonard thats killing us, among other lousy choices.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by MDE8352gorams View Post
    But the WILL does come into play in the trenches. If we have more motivation we can beat our opponent on the other side of the line. This team isn't motivated!

The rest of the games this season should be a test for players who will fit the mold of motivated, aggressive (no penalties) and talented. From there we begin to rebuild. I do think our draft will have to include getting a quarterback who will compete for the starting job in another year or so. I was hoping we could concentrate on the O-line and LB spots. I am not saying Bulger sux, but his spirit must be getting broken with the weekly pounding he takes. For crying out loud, can we also draft a fullback who will protect Bulger in the pocket.

Go Rams!

Totally agree my friend. Let's see how we respond from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by General Counsel View Post
    Just a question for everyone. Why do people think that are guys aren't trying? What does anyone see that leads anyone to believe that we lack "will" vs lacking ability, strength or technique or talent? The fact that we have a bunch of aging vets and high picks doesn't mean per se that these guys are any good. Carriker for example, who is playing hurt, is also still playing out of position (part of the brilliant strategy of picking a guy #12 and changing his position).

We have made atrocious personnel decisions and thats why we stink. It's not lack of will thats killing our offensive line, it's the decision to pass on Ryan Khalil to take Brian Leonard that's killing us, among other lousy choices.

Ramming speed to all

General Counsel
    Oh, most of us KNOW the Rams are trying, GC. And I agree that what we're going through is a dismal and pathetic result of our own actions, namely that of the F.O. // But I do think our 'WILL' we be / is being put to the test. A defeat like today's is tough even for veteran players and coaches alike.

Not to mention for us fans.

PS: BTW, I believe you are correct in the Rams worst halftime agony but I'm just not animated enough to research into it to confirm.

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Maybe, he assumed our guys don't hit hard enough that there was any risk of injury. They certainly didn't fear us when they went for it on 4th and short at midfield in the first quarter. Then they went for it again on 4th and 2 on the same drive!
    I'm a Jets fan, but I've posted here during the draft season. I am not a troll, I just can't remember my old log-in. Don't be so down. There are some nice pieces and it doesn't take that long to turn things around in today's NFL. Most Jets fans would have preferred Carricker and Long to Revis and Gholston. The first thing to do is to see if the team is going to follow Haslett or quit on him. This game was an anomaly. For everyone involved. Throw it out and see what happens next week.

The Jets sat Favre for the entire fourth. They can't sit Jones. First of all, although he's had a nice couple of games, he isnt exactly an irreplaceable player. The backup, Leon Washington, is usually just as effective, but is more of a scat back and not as good in protection. Jesse Chatman was injured against KC last week and lost for the season. The third back, Marcus Mason, was picked up off the Ravens practice squad a little more than a week ago and wasn't active. He probably doesn't know enough of the plays. The most important guy to rest was probably Jenkins.

Ah, mr jenkins. So glad we werent willing to part with the #2 that carolina wanted so that we could pass on jenkins and use the pick to take brian leonard, who has done absolutely nothing, although a bit more than klop, to justify his status as a #2 pick. By the way, the jets have a fullback. They could have handed him the ball ten times and run out the clock. Jones may not be irreplaceable, but he is certainly an important part of your offense and without him, its going to be real tough to win the division. My point is that it wasnt worth the risk, no upside, as the rams learned with jackson in (and subsequently injured) with a 30 point lead.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

blood85 is offline Registered User

I don't think we are a one man team (i.e. steven jackson), however, I do think it makes everyones job a little easier, and things do go smoother. With all do respect to darby and pittman, they don't strike fear into our opponents.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    ...no intended at you distant, but there are a number of people that just dont seem to understand that the critical determining factor in any football game at any level is the play in the trenches. We are getting manhandled on both sides of the ball at the point of attack and more than anything else...
    why, why, why can't people seem to grasp this!?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jets Bomb Rams 47-3; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly-defense_a.jpg  
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Chris58 is offline Registered User

distant, i dont think that we are a one man team, but we are a one man running game and jackson out of the backfield is also a major weapon. Jackson makes a lousy offensive line look a LOT better because when he gets any hole at all he is capable of a huge gain and we just dont have that from anyone else. We are an entirely different team without jackson, who is one of the five best all around weapons in the nfl.

No intended at you distant, but there are a number of people that just dont seem to understand that the critical determining factor in any football game at any level is the play in the trenches. We are getting manhandled on both sides of the ball at the point of attack and more than anything else, that explains why we stink. My point is that without jackson, we dont have a shot. Teams dont have to respect the run and it makes our subpar pass blocking that much worse.

Bernie line "Football is largely a game of wills" is 100% crap. Its a battle at the point of attack, i dont see where Will is the key. Strength and technique sure, but i dont see Will as the critical component. The rams didnt get creamed today because they lacked will, they got killed because the Jets beat the crap out of us on both sides of the ball. Skill position players are only as good as their blocking.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Will is all it's about. 100%. So little difference between teams, talent-wise. It's the team that wants it more that usually prevails. Otherwise, how do you explain the wins at Washington and against the Cowboys? The talent hasn't changed but the outcomes sure did.

On another thought, I think Steven Jackson played the Rams like a drum this last off season. He waited until the draft was over and summer camp was ready to start to hold out while holding the Rams hostage. What a loser. I wish he had the guts to man up and tell the Rams he was holding out before the draft. At least the team could have considered a RB in their draft plans. Quite honestly, his inability to stay healthy makes him virtually irrelevant no matter how good he can be when or if healthy. Again we got taken by the bling of a healthy Jackson. All promise no deliver. Too bad we didn't trade him for a fourth round draft pick (sarcastic). Maybe we could have gotten a blocking OLman to open holes for an average guy who could stay healthy and run though them.

I don't know, all these so called franchise players just don't seem to be leading the franchise anywhere but down the drain.

And for all the Linehan haters out there, tell me it was all his fault.

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Ah, mr jenkins. So glad we werent willing to part with the #2 that carolina wanted so that we could pass on jenkins and use the pick to take brian leonard, who has done absolutely nothing, although a bit more than klop, to justify his status as a #2 pick. By the way, the jets have a fullback. They could have handed him the ball ten times and run out the clock. Jones may not be irreplaceable, but he is certainly an important part of your offense and without him, its going to be real tough to win the division. My point is that it wasnt worth the risk, no upside, as the rams learned with jackson in (and subsequently injured) with a 30 point lead.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Yeah. They have one FB. Richardson. He's probably more critical to the running game than Jones. He's had one carry this season and I'd be surprised if they have any plays for him. If you are trying to avoid injuries I think you avoid trying to experiment.

A few of us have complained about the Jets only carrying 2 RBs most of the season for just this reason.

Chris, how can you say "the talent hasnt changed" I appreciate your problems with jackson (which i disagree with although i am a huge critic of the holdout since he was under contract), but you cant honest tell me that the rams have the same or close to the same talent level with him as without him and you cant deny that he had a critical role in both wins.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

DistantRam is offline Registered User

... you cant honest tell me that the rams have the same or close to the same talent level with him as without him and you cant deny that he had a critical role in both wins.
    So you are implying that we're a one-man team after all, GC.

I think i said it all in my prior post distant. We are not a one man team, but our best player is jackson and without him, we are severly impaired in large part because the absence of jackson impacts other players in a material way. Since we cant run at all without jackson, teams dont respect the run at all and it makes it even harder to throw. Balance is critical. If teams only have to worry about run or pass, its a lot easier to stop that one element of the game. Not a one man team, but jackson is by far our most important player on offense.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Just a question for everyone. Why do people think that are guys arent trying? What does anyone see that leads anyone to believe that we lack "will" vs lacking ability, strength or technique or talent? The fact that we have a bunch of aging vets and high picks doesnt mean per se that these guys are any good. Carriker for example, who is playing hurt, is also still playing out of position (part of the brilliant strategy of picking a guy #12 and changing his position).

We have made atrocious personnel decisions and thats why we stink. Its not lack of will thats killing our offensive line, its the decision to pass on ryan khalil to take brian leonard thats killing us, among other lousy choices.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Well GC what about the play in the 3rd quarter where Thomas Jones carried (yes carried) Mr. Carriker into the endzone....now that comes down to "will" because even if hurt there is no way that you outweigh a man by that much and allow him to take you on a ride into the endzone and then show no emotion after that play.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast