throwback week

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Jets Bomb Rams 47-3; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The fact that carriker isnt jumping up and down and screaming doesnt mean he isnt very upset. On the play you are referring to, two jet players, richardson the fullback and mangold the center, pushed jones into the end zone. Carriker had a hold of jones, but 600 pounds of guys pushed him forward and i dont blame that on carriker

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Well GC what about the play in the 3rd quarter where Thomas Jones carried (yes carried) Mr. Carriker into the endzone....now that comes down to "will" because even if hurt there is no way that you outweigh a man by that much and allow him to take you on a ride into the endzone and then show no emotion after that play.
    Actually Carriker wasn't "carried" into the endzone, Jones was pushed in by a combo of blocks by N. Mangold and T. Richardson. Therefore it wasn't a lack of effort on Carriker's part, not that it matters at this point in time.

BTW does anybody know what the Jets gave up to get Jenkins? Whatever it was it was not enough.

WHAT SAY YE?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Fact is, the players are NOT FOCUSED. I don't know if it has anything to do with effort or not, but it seems that they may be trying too hard to make plays, instead of just reacting. This would have alot to do with our linebackers being out of position on a regular basis ...

I find it hard to believe that we went 8-8 two years ago with essentially the same group of guys. Two years of "aging" would not lead to such a falloff in play, as most of the core group of players, including those same linebackers, are not very old at all. We have some aging guys on this team, but for the most part, they are not major contributors ...

This team lacks confidence, and they lack the proper instincts at this point to be successful ...

I have never seen a bunch of linebackers as confused as this bunch was yesterday. Every big gain on the ground seemed to happen on misdirection plays and outside runs. Believe it or not, the only solid player we had against the run was Chavous, who seemed to make a play everytime he could into position. He shouldn't have to do this, thats what linebackers are for ....

But our linebackers seemingly suck this year. Look at the first play of the game. Jones ran right next to Witherspoon and it seemed as if he didn't even know he was there. Last year, Witherspoon would have wrapped Jones up and stuffed him for a short gain. This year, I don't know what has happened ...

And people said our defense sucked last year ....

DistantRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I think i said it all in my prior post distant. We are not a one man team, but our best player is jackson and without him, we are severly impaired in large part because the absence of jackson impacts other players in a material way.
    I'll admit to being a bit naughty here, GC: I know what you said in your first response to my question but I was trying to elicit a bit more from you.

Bernie Miklasz makes the point that we are 18-32 in games in which Steven Jackson has played since the start of the 2005 season; that being the case, is Jackson really our best player or is he the one who simply attracts the most hype? And if he is the best, what does that say about the rest of them?

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Actually Carriker wasn't "carried" into the endzone, Jones was pushed in by a combo of blocks by N. Mangold and T. Richardson. Therefore it wasn't a lack of effort on Carriker's part, not that it matters at this point in time.

BTW does anybody know what the Jets gave up to get Jenkins? Whatever it was it was not enough.

WHAT SAY YE?
    3rd and a 5th. Shaun Rogers, traded to the Browns for a similar deal (Leigh Bodden & a 3rd) and moved to NT, is also playing well. Both got big new contracts and are injury/effort risks though. I thought with the 4-3 you'd be happier along the line with Carricker and Long. I didn't think Jones bulled Carricker into the end zone. He just stayed upright and a lot of beef pushed him in.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Jackson is clearly our best player. The fact that our offensive line stinks doesnt change that. Also, Jackson has nothing to do with our terrible defense which has a lot to do with our terrible record. Its the classic answer by bernie (and others). Blame one guy because the team loses. Put another way, even when the rams were a terrific team, and were "winners" it doesnt mean that some of the positions on the team werent badly in need of upgrading. This is just the flip side of that point.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123