Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

  1. #1
    JetsFan320 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Cool Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

    Hey guys, just wanted to swing by and contribute a little to your forum based on what Schotty accomplished in his 6 years as a Jet coordinator and what I think he can do for you moving forward.

    First, and I'm sure the most pressing question you guys have as Rams fans, was it Sanchez or Schotty (chicken or the egg) that contributed to the downfall of our offense last year? Well, IMO, it was a bit of both. Any Jet fan who tells you otherwise is just being irrational and only looking at it from one perspective.

    Schotty deserves blame for going away from what made the Jets so successful in '09 and '10 and allowed us to get to back to back AFCE champ games; ground and pound and set up Sanchez in the play action which he is most successful at. Why did we do this? Most fans still aren't sure. Some think we just wanted to take the handcuffs off Sanchez, thinking he was ready to make the step forward with the league becoming very pass heavy. This was an obvious mistake though and by the time we went back to ground and pound (week 6ish) we had already lost a few games.

    Sanchez, although he grabbed 32 TD on the season, and statistically improved (albeit mostly minor) in most categories, still had a subpar season. Poor decisions, inaccurate, etc., the list goes on. This wasn't all his fault. Our o-line was awful all year, and our receivers couldn't get open worth a damn, which culminated in the Holmes/Sanchez feud in the last game of the season. So Sanchez gets plenty of blame too.

    The Good:

    Schotty generally establishes a great run game despite above average at best RB we've had (Jones, Greene, LT past his prime). This is a great sign for you guys next season since Jackson is a top 5 RB with a good o-line.

    Always thought he was a good in game adjustment coordinator in the 2nd half

    I think he would work better with a more accurate, WCO type QB, which is exactly the type of QB Bradford is.

    The Bad:

    Only once did he post a top 12 total offense in his 6 years as coordinator (Sanchez 2nd year).

    Doesn't develop great game plans going into games. Can't tell you how few times we scored a TD in the 1st quarter under him.

    IMO, his biggest knock is how quarterbacks have played after they've left him. I don't have the time to post stats here, but if you like at Brees (numbers speak for himself after he left SD), Pennington (MVP type numbers in Miami), and Favre (again, MVP type numbers in Minn), they've all had monstrous seasons after leaving Schotty. Us Jet fans are hopeful Sanchez can make a big step under a new OC, but that remains to be seen.

    With all that said, I think Schotty was a good hire for you. I think Bradford is the type of QB he could thrive coaching. If you can grab an elite receiver somehow, and fill in the o-line, I think you guys might have a decent hire moving forward. I said the same thing about McDaniels too, but you never know I guess...


    As an aside, I think Clinkscale, would be an even better hire for you. He's our GMs right hand man, and the main person responsible for all the talent we've grabbed over the past 6 years (Revis, Mangold, Brick, Harris, etc.). I personally would be pissed if he left us, since our GM is more of a cap guru than a talent evaluator.

    Any questions, feel free to post.


  2. #2
    Trevor's Avatar
    Trevor is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vicenza, Italy From Hagerstown, MD
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,287
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

    Great analysis!

  3. #3
    Tampa_Ram's Avatar
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bat Yam, Israel
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,951
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

    Thanks for coming here and giving us the info.

    Would you rather they kept Shotty then get Sparrono?

    Do you think if you had a different young QB(Bradford, etc) then Sanchize, your offense would of been better?

    Did Rex have any say on how he wanted Shotty to run the offense?

    Im sure ill figure out more questions man but any opinions and answers from a Jets fan is great.


  4. #4
    JetsFan320 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

    Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Thanks for coming here and giving us the info.

    Would you rather they kept Shotty then get Sparrono?

    Do you think if you had a different young QB(Bradford, etc) then Sanchize, your offense would of been better?

    Did Rex have any say on how he wanted Shotty to run the offense?

    Im sure ill figure out more questions man but any opinions and answers from a Jets fan is great.
    I didn't hate Schotty like the majority of Jet fans did, but at some point you just need a new change. The philosophy Schotty had differed from what Rex wanted. Sanchez isn't the type of QB to throw the ball 30+ times (not yet at least).

    I do think if we had a better QB we would be much better, no doubt about it. I like Sanchez, and think he can be a good QB in this league (and by good I mean that 8-12 range). Idk about Bradford per se since he is pretty unproven, although he is very accurate, which would've helped. Always tough to make arguments about QBs who were surrounded with a poor cast, which Bradford unfortunately had save a couple offensive pieces. He does have much more upside than Sanchez, but its tough to definitively say. I think someone like Matt Ryan would have done wonders for us, being accurate both short and long passes.

    I think going into the season, both Rex and Schotty agreed to let Sanchez air it out a little more, hiring Tom Moore (Peytons OC) as a consultant. They both figured Sanchez would take a big leap forward, similar to what Ryan/Flacco and other young QBs have done. Sadly this didn't work out as planned. Rex stopped it about 5-6 weeks into the season and they went back to ground and pound, which was pretty successful, albeit not as successful as '09 and '10. Unfortunately the last 3 games of the season were probably Sanchez's worst games since '09. Throwing picks left and right, and letting him air it out almost 60 times vs the Giants was a disgrace.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

  5. #5
    Tampa_Ram's Avatar
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bat Yam, Israel
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,951
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFan320 View Post
    I didn't hate Schotty like the majority of Jet fans did, but at some point you just need a new change. The philosophy Schotty had differed from what Rex wanted. Sanchez isn't the type of QB to throw the ball 30+ times (not yet at least).

    I do think if we had a better QB we would be much better, no doubt about it. I like Sanchez, and think he can be a good QB in this league (and by good I mean that 8-12 range). Idk about Bradford per se since he is pretty unproven, although he is very accurate, which would've helped. Always tough to make arguments about QBs who were surrounded with a poor cast, which Bradford unfortunately had save a couple offensive pieces. He does have much more upside than Sanchez, but its tough to definitively say. I think someone like Matt Ryan would have done wonders for us, being accurate both short and long passes.

    I think going into the season, both Rex and Schotty agreed to let Sanchez air it out a little more, hiring Tom Moore (Peytons OC) as a consultant. They both figured Sanchez would take a big leap forward, similar to what Ryan/Flacco and other young QBs have done. Sadly this didn't work out as planned. Rex stopped it about 5-6 weeks into the season and they went back to ground and pound, which was pretty successful, albeit not as successful as '09 and '10. Unfortunately the last 3 games of the season were probably Sanchez's worst games since '09. Throwing picks left and right, and letting him air it out almost 60 times vs the Giants was a disgrace.
    True enough on the change part.

    Does Shotty bring different game plans to each game, or does he stick to the same game plan week in and week out?

    Does he make good halftime adjustments?

    Does he try and build his offense around the players talents or does he have a set philosophy he uses and hopes the players will eventually get it?(does he adjust the offense for the talent he has basically?)

    being as we scored barely over 12 points a game this year, averaging around 23 every game would be a vast improvement. hopefully if we add some more playmakers we could even raise that average.


  6. #6
    THOLTFAN81's Avatar
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,938
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

    Rams fan living in NJ, and I am glad you are a rational Jet fan. Listening to fans in this area is hilarious, they forget so quickly the accomplishments they're given. Change was definitely for the best, because if he would have stayed there would have been a mutiny. Plus I dont think him + holmes could've co-existed, so it was kinda a one or the other, and Holmes' salary makes him impossible to cut, so they said goodbye to Schottenheimer.

  7. #7
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,643
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

    I would rather keep the guy that calls out a guy for lack luster play and benches him when he argues with the rest of the offense, than the guy that did all that, no matter how good a player he is

  8. #8
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,943
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

    Schotty deserves blame for going away from what made the Jets so successful in '09 and '10 and allowed us to get to back to back AFCE champ games; ground and pound and set up Sanchez in the play action which he is most successful at.
    Thanks for the insight...

    This is what makes me think he won out over Hue. Fisher is GOING to RUN first and PASS second. I hope we all can hang with that approach. Schotty and the Jets did that well for two years which got them deep into the playoffs.

    I want to see who we bring in to help SJ, I just don't think he can do it alone anymore.. well see

  9. #9
    GROUND DOG 39's Avatar
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MANCHESTER, U.K.
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Thanks for the insight...

    This is what makes me think he won out over Hue. Fisher is GOING to RUN first and PASS second. I hope we all can hang with that approach. Schotty and the Jets did that well for two years which got them deep into the playoffs.

    I want to see who we bring in to help SJ, I just don't think he can do it alone anymore.. well see
    I totally agree. Jackson's ability once he gets into that second level, has diminished over the years. The Rams for some reason have always chose to ignore this. Jackson's has no doubt earned his money at the Rams. But now that we got Fisher as coach, Im not sure its ever going to happen. I can now see a bigger back like Richardson definitely getting consideration on draft day. Which still doesn't fix the problem. I think its very important the Rams improve their speed, at the RB position. Its cost us too many times over the last few years.

    dgr828 and THOLTFAN81 like this.

  10. #10
    Bralidore(RAMMODE)'s Avatar
    Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,149
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

    Richardson has breakaway speed at the second level as well as power. I think he's the best back to come out of the draft since Adrian Peterson honestly.

    Guy is the real deal.

    I know we have other needs but if we trade down i would NOT mind Richardson as the pick at all.

  11. #11
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,216
    Rep Power
    127

    Re: Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

    I watched a lot of Jets games this year and my perpective is different from the OP's, but at this point I'm going to set aside my problems with Schottenheimer and give him a clean slate. I'll judge him from here on based on what he does as the Rams OC.
    HUbison likes this.

  12. #12
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,943
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I watched a lot of Jets games this year and my perpective is different from the OP's, but at this point I'm going to set aside my problems with Schottenheimer and give him a clean slate. I'll judge him from here on based on what he does as the Rams OC.
    Mike as you said this year, I think we got Schottenheimer based on what he did not this year but the previous two years. That was pound the rock and play action. hey where one of the best running team in the NFL This year they tried to open things up and it did not work out.

  13. #13
    THOLTFAN81's Avatar
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,938
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I would rather keep the guy that calls out a guy for lack luster play and benches him when he argues with the rest of the offense, than the guy that did all that, no matter how good a player he is
    Wholeheartedly agree! Rex Ryan is a coward. The guy in his end of season presser, threw Schotty under the bus. When asked about the Santonio benching situation he replied, "I dont know ask Brian, I didn't bench him." Some leader. I'm sure Schotty cant wait to get the schedule to see what week we play the Jets.

  14. #14
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,407
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

    Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree! Rex Ryan is a coward. The guy in his end of season presser, threw Schotty under the bus. When asked about the Santonio benching situation he replied, "I dont know ask Brian, I didn't bench him." Some leader. I'm sure Schotty cant wait to get the schedule to see what week we play the Jets.
    I hope Schotty is frickin pissed! We should have an easy W against the Jets this season.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

  15. #15
    GROUND DOG 39's Avatar
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MANCHESTER, U.K.
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Jets fan perspective on Schotty hire

    Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Richardson has breakaway speed at the second level as well as power. I think he's the best back to come out of the draft since Adrian Peterson honestly.

    Guy is the real deal.

    I know we have other needs but if we trade down i would NOT mind Richardson as the pick at all.


    I wouldn't either Bralidore. Im just a little cautious because his supposed lack of breakaway speed.?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-17-2012, 09:15 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-05-2006, 01:00 AM
  3. [Jets] Jets Need a Win to Assure Playoff Spot
    By DJRamFan in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-01-2005, 07:13 PM
  4. [Jets] Edwards Relishes Jets' Must-Win Situation
    By DJRamFan in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-01-2005, 07:11 PM
  5. [Jets] Jets' Chrebet Has No Plans to Retire
    By DJRamFan in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-01-2005, 07:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •