Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Falconator Guest

Re: Jim Haslett as St. Louis Rams coach ... are fans willing?

if Rams keep Haslett because they don't want to spend money to get somebody good in there - well, then the Rams fans will pay for the sins of their cheap owners.

I hope that does not happen to you guys - you deserve better!

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    1. The players have a bond with him. They seem to want to work for him. Just watch any of the first four games of the year, then watch any of our last ten. The differences are clear - after Haz came along, the Rams quit giving up in the first quarter. They actually TRIED to stay in the game.
    Agreed .. They played better than they did under Linehan. (Could they have played any worse?). Their "trying" didn't translate into wins however, which begs the question: what's so great about a bond with losers?

2. Whenever new blood is brought in, there will always be resistance and confusion. Joe Cool will show up, decide that his way is the best, not even consider how the players can best be utilized, and make it his way or no way. Next thing you know, our best players are wearing other uniforms and we end up with 35 year old retreads from Joe Cool's former team. Yeah, they used to be good, but now, they can't even keep up with Richard Simmons.
    If Billy D. comes across a candidate that really blows his socks off, then fine .. make a change. I'm not for making a change just to get a "fresh start." Billy was hired to make football decisions and selecting a head coach is where the rubber meets the road. Hopefully Billy has good instincts and will follow them.

3. With a two-year deal, Haz has motivation to make the team a winner. He would know he's under a microscope. If he didn't turn the team around, his chances of ever being a head coach anywhere would drop to zero. If he took this 2-14 mess and made them competitive, he'd be a wanted commodity.
    Add to that the fact he knows the strengths and weaknesses of the current Rams personnel and apparently has a plan to act upon that knowledge in concert with Billy D. A new head coach would be starting from scratch in that area.

4. It seems like he won't put up with crap excuses. When Ritchie got out of line earlier in the season, Haz got on his rear end. The next few weeks, he was a different player. This time, Ritchie whined about being "queazy". Haz told him to leave. Good move. I remember Marshall hurling all over the field in a game against KC a few years back. To me, Cogs should have at least tried. If nothing else, they could have used him in an upcoming promo for the next "Shrek" film when he turned green. The players know this, and although I thought Ritchie was tougher than this, it still sends a message: Bust your butt or put on a skirt and go home.
    If Haslett is retained, it will be interesting to see if Ritchie is still wearing horns next season.

I'm ok with giving Haz another couple of years if Billy D. truly believes he is our best option, however, it surely won't hurt to explore all possible options prior to reaching a decision.

Falconator Guest

Mauiram,

what in Jim Haslett's "past" with the Rams or Saints inspires confidence? that is my question to anyone wanting to retain Haslett.....

TekeRam is offline Registered User

The fact that his teams always played hard down in New Orleans, even if they didn't win. He led one of the most hopeless franchises to the playoffs for the first time. While he was probably on the hot seat anyway, he guided the Saints through the Katrina season and they did about as well as anyone could have expected.

Here, the defense played well up to a point, and the whole team played better after Haslett was made the head coach. The issue is just the gameplanning and the execution. I think we saw the effort... it just wasn't all there yet.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Here, the defense played well up to a point, and the whole team played better after Haslett was made the head coach. The issue is just the gameplanning and the execution. I think we saw the effort... it just wasn't all there yet.
    And that has always been the knock against Haslett- he's not an X's and O's guy. The only thing people ever say about him is that he's "fiery". I'm sorry, but I fail to see how fiery helped us in having one of the worst defenses in the league in 2+ seasons with him calling the D and I definately didn't see it in a bunch of lop-sided loses with him as HC. We almost always got blown out in second half of games, which shows an alarming inability to make in-game adjusmtents.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

I think he should get one more chance. I think that we would have won those 4th quarter flops if we had bigger and younger players on defense. I think they just got tired. I also believe that changing offensive coordinators while our young receivers are just learning the system is a mistake. Wait until they run the right routes everytime at least. The players apparently like Haz enough to petition for his return. Ignoring them may send the wrong message to the players. I think our main problem is talent, too old and just plain not enough. We have too many players that are a year or two past their prime. They can still play but they are not what they once were.(Chavous,Glover,Holt etc). I don't think Lombardi could win with this bunch.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    The fact that his teams always played hard down in New Orleans, even if they didn't win. He led one of the most hopeless franchises to the playoffs for the first time. While he was probably on the hot seat anyway, he guided the Saints through the Katrina season and they did about as well as anyone could have expected.

Haslett "totally lost control" of that Saints team - and it was not just the "Katrina year" either......Saints were a mess when he left them and you can lay a lot of the blame at the feet of Jim Haslett.....

Now, he moves onto to St. Louis - Bernie M makes the point that in his time with the Rams he has done nothing and team has ranked no higher than 28th......while the personnel is not real good - a good defensive coordinator could get a rag-tag bunch higher than 28th don't you think?

Just because Haslett can cuss on the sideline and turn red in the face does not mean he's a good head coach. The one year that the Saints went to the playoffs was the abberation - not the other years when Saints/Rams Defense were horrible - that is the rule.....

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fearsome foursome View Post
    I think he should get one more chance. I think that we would have won those 4th quarter flops if we had bigger and younger players on defense. I think they just got tired. I also believe that changing offensive coordinators while our young receivers are just learning the system is a mistake. Wait until they run the right routes everytime at least. The players apparently like Haz enough to petition for his return. Ignoring them may send the wrong message to the players. I think our main problem is talent, too old and just plain not enough. We have too many players that are a year or two past their prime. They can still play but they are not what they once were.(Chavous,Glover,Holt etc). I don't think Lombardi could win with this bunch.
    Fear4,

ever heard the phrase "inmates running the asylumn"? Well, you want to take the players that led you to a 2-14 season and let them decide to keep the coach that was 2-10 while leading them?

Is that what you are REALLY saying?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    Haslett "totally lost control" of that Saints team - and it was not just the "Katrina year" either......Saints were a mess when he left them and you can lay a lot of the blame at the feet of Jim Haslett.....

Now, he moves onto to St. Louis - Bernie M makes the point that in his time with the Rams he has done nothing and team has ranked no higher than 28th......while the personnel is not real good - a good defensive coordinator could get a rag-tag bunch higher than 28th don't you think?

Just because Haslett can cuss on the sideline and turn red in the face does not mean he's a good head coach. The one year that the Saints went to the playoffs was the abberation - not the other years when Saints/Rams Defense were horrible - that is the rule.....
    Totally agree. Linehan won 3 out of four after the bye last year as well and we were competitive in a few more down the stretch when MB and SJ got healthier and a modicum of support.
    That mirage trapped us before. Please not again.

For me, there's nothing but scary bad news in Bernie's report:

Shaw still involved that much?

Haslett was responsible for that D & is STILL in contention?

Martz?!! Running a power O?! Avery/Burton may well be a good duo but the precision of a Martz timing O will put even more pressure on them to correct their weak route skills. It's pure nostalgia to want this guy back.

Dom Capers? I've no idea where he gets all this respect one reads about. He has never held a DC position for more than a couple of years and with spotty success, at that.

It doesn't surprise me that the hotshots are probably beyond our reach for a number of reasons but jeez....

It should be Friday night happy hour and this sounds like a last call desperation hook-up. More likely to end up as the source of a nasty rash that won't go away and yet another walk of shame home next Xmas rather than wedding bells and happily ever after.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -12-30-2008 at 04:33 PM.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

1) Martz and Haslett hate each other remember? Think back to when they were coaches of the Rams / Saints respectively. The media always talked about the Haslett/Martz rivalry
    2) I find it hard to believe that Martz would come back to the Rams after the way they parted ways
    3) Do we even want Martz back? Steven Jackson is the centerpiece of our offense and Martz has no clue how to call a balanced attack. Martz would make Bulger throw the ball 50 times a game.

It's not going to happen. I can't believe Bernie would even write this garbage

RealRam is online now Registered User

Coach Haslett would, IMO, do better with another chance as Rams HC (unlike Linehan). With the Z man now zilch and gone, a good-to-excellent draft, and an improved OL, JH is bound to achieve a winning season next year.

As are the players, I too am definitely willing to see Haslett back.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    It should be Friday night happy hour and this sounds like a last call desperation hook-up. More likely to end up as the source of a nasty rash that won't go away and yet another walk of shame home next Xmas rather than wedding bells and happily ever after.
    it will go away...ya just gotta find the right lotion...

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Coach Haslett would, IMO, do better with another chance as Rams HC (unlike Linehan). With the Z man now zilch and gone, a good-to-excellent draft, and an improved OL, JH is bound to achieve a winning season next year.

As are the players, I too am definitely willing to see Haslett back.
    So we keep the 3 yr architect of our pathetic D and lose Saunders who had one year ? If Haz gets a pass, why not Saunders? AS has hardly impressed me but I have to acknowledge that he didn't have a FB, decent TE, healthy SJ, or competent receivers for a large part of the year.

Heck, I'll take Saunders on rep and mitigating circumstances over Haslett.

Maybe we lose him no matter what happens but the radical changes that come closest to fitting the perceived needs of this team do not make either Martz or Capers attractive to me.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    Mauiram,

what in Jim Haslett's "past" with the Rams or Saints inspires confidence? that is my question to anyone wanting to retain Haslett.....
    What in Bill Belichicks head coaching record with the Browns inspired enough confidence for him to be a head coach for the Pats? Even after he got the job with NE it took a stroke of luck in the steal of Tom Brady to get him over the top .. As I said before, it's up to Billy D. to make the call .. not me ...
    Last edited by MauiRam; -12-30-2008 at 09:23 PM.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Ive been on Haslett's coattails through the losses...well, most of em. And I have to say at this point, even with the players doing all the petitioning and stuff, it should be a challenge for haslett to remain the HC for the Rams..even Singletary got his team a couple more wins!!..I love the fact the players have his back but IMO I think we need a new direction, a new coach to take over...when we said destroy and rebuild we meant every last part of the organization..now of course this is my opinion from the outside looking in..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast