39thebeast is offline Registered User

Jim Schwartz vs. Rex Ryan

Both coordinators have very different coordinating styles, here is what i saw from both of them through out the game The Baltimore Tennessee game

Jim Schwartz
    Consistently brought 4. Used a deep d-line rotation and just constantly brought four different lineman. Rarely blitzed. The d-line kept the Baltimore lineman from getting to the second level so they were free to roam around all day. In the secondary they played alot of man coverage with the safties over the top. The d-line constistant pressure without the blitz allowedm to drop 7 every play. The key to this formula was clearly Albert Haynesworth. Haynesworth's penetrated and demanded a double team all day, he was clearly the key cog in the defenses success.

Rex Ryan
    Blitzed way miore than Schwartz did. He brought LBs and safeties and corners. He sent blitzes from all over. The problem was theres 7 and 8 man blitzes were getting picked up all day. One bltiz he dialed up where he sent the strong safety and the corner got to Collins and he threw the only interception of the game. the titans greta o-line had alot to do with Blitz pick-up. Bart sCott outplayed every LB one the field including Rey lewis and Keith Bulluck. In a star studded defesne Scott was allowed to be all over the filed making plays with moe attention being payed to Rey Lewis and Terelle Suggs before he went down.

Conclusion
    Both schemes are centered around their attention grabing center piece. For the the Titans it is Haynesworth, take him out and the Titans have to blitz more and their secondary is exposed more. For the Ravens it is Rey Lewis/ Haloti Ngata. players in the middle of defense and they are the heart of the defense. Thye both draw alot of attention allowing players like Bart Scott, Jered Johnson, and Terelle Suggs to suceed. THe reason these defesne are so dominant are because of 2 stable forces that have been in theire respective orginizations for a while, those 2 men are Ozzie Newsome and Jeff Fisher.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Jim Schwartz vs. Rex Ryan

well from one games observation thats probably an accurate enough summary...i would give them far more credit for their D`s than to say its mainly thanks to Ozzie & Fisher tho!

especially in Schwartz`s case.

even Rex tho he has talent on the roster...a bad coach could screw it up...
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -01-10-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Mis read post i was replying too..

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The Ravens D allowed nearly 200 more total yards than the Titans did. The difference in this game was clearly the turnover differential and the penalties called against Tennessee. There was a great statistic on the broadcast which showed the turnover differential of Miami and Tennessee (17, 13) during the regular season as the best teams in the league and how they'd fared against the Ravens (-4,-3). That to me speaks volumes about the talent on that defense.

That's not to say that Ryan deserves all the credit. He dialed up the blitz when he needed to, but only one turnover came out of schematic mismatches, being the 'off-the-back-foot' INT by Collins. Crumpler, plain and simple, just coughed up the ball after being hit hard and the second INT just drifted toward the Ravens D. So I'd say the win, the turnover differential and the points allowed by Baltimore are slightly misleading in this instance with regard to how Rex Ryan shapes up as an NFL head coach. The defense allowed a heck of a lot more yards and two of the turnovers were not the result of clever playcalling, but individual effort by big-time players.

Bart Scott was a particular standout. Ryan sort of gave him a license to roam with the types of coverages and Blitz plays he called and Scott really excelled as an ILB in that role. A lot of the credit deservedly goes to Joe Flacco and that offense, who have not given up a sack nor turned the ball over once this postseason. Despite his 50% completion percentage, Flacco was a big reason why they won that game today.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Jim Schwartz' defense was very meat and potatoes. There wasn't anything special about the schemes, but they were executed very well. I was impressed most by the discipline and cohesiveness of the unit. The linebackers were all over the run. I loved the physicality of Cortland Finnegan, who not only covered Mason pretty well but seemed to often get to the pile to hit the runningback, too.

Ryan's blitzing schemes were more exotic, but as has been pointed out, the blitzing wasn't especially effective. The Ravens defense allowed nearly twice as many yards as the Titans defense. If Chris Johnson doesn't get injured, the Titans win that game. The main thing that stuck out to me about the Ravens defense, though, was the attitude. Aside from the obvious wealth of defensive stars (courtesy of Newsome's drafts), I think the team has done a great job of cultivating a team culture of toughness. Everybody on that defense hits hard and doesn't stop until the whistle blows...if then. I think a big part of that is the veteran players teaching that and passing it on. Likewise, Ryan is an heir to the defensive tradition that the coaches have created there. I'm not sure if that's something that can be easily exported to a new team.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Actually, Yogurt has some advise for Chip about Schwartz...
    YouTube - Yoghurt's final scene in Spaceballs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RockinRam is offline Registered User

[quote=Goldenfleece;267022]meat and potatoes.quote]

I can smell a medium rare filet mignon with a baked potato and sour cream, chives, bacon...

Kidding aside, I think Ryan's defense would be more productive because it fits more with our personnel. We really don't have a Haynesworth type of player that is the centerfold of Schwartz's defense. I know Chris Long is developing nicely, and Carriker will come back with healthy shoulders, but I think we need ONE more stud defensive line player for us to excel in Schwart's defensive schemes. Little is getting older and slower, and Glover isn't the answer for DT.

With Ryan, we can blitz Pisa, we can blitz Witherspoon, we cant blitz Draft or Culberson, we can blitz Wade, Bartell, Atogwe, heck we can blitz with all of them at the same time.

But they are both good DCs, and I would be happy to get either one of them.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

If we bring in Jim Schwartz, he's going to pretty much run the same boring defense that Haslett has the last three years and he's going to find out very quickly that we don't have an Albert Hansworth on our roster. This is a man that does not like to blitz- we need to. I don't think he's a good fit here.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

[quote=RockinRam;267094]
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    meat and potatoes.quote]

I can smell a medium rare filet mignon with a baked potato and sour cream, chives, bacon...

Kidding aside, I think Ryan's defense would be more productive because it fits more with our personnel. We really don't have a Haynesworth type of player that is the centerfold of Schwartz's defense. I know Chris Long is developing nicely, and Carriker will come back with healthy shoulders, but I think we need ONE more stud defensive line player for us to excel in Schwart's defensive schemes. Little is getting older and slower, and Glover isn't the answer for DT.

With Ryan, we can blitz Pisa, we can blitz Witherspoon, we cant blitz Draft or Culberson, we can blitz Wade, Bartell, Atogwe, heck we can blitz with all of them at the same time.

But they are both good DCs, and I would be happy to get either one of them.
    How does his system fit us. Look at the size of the Baltimore LBs compared to our lbs. Their lightest LB is Bart SCott who would be our heaviest LB.