Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Jim Thomas 5/9 Mini-Camp Radio Update

Sent by RamBill to another Rams group...

Jim Thomas Mini-Camp Update

Post-Dispatch Rams beat writer Jim Thomas joined Bernie Miklasz and Randy Karraker on Friday afternoon live from Rams Park.

Thomas said that Scott Linehan told him he was unaware if the Rams were close to signing Chris Long, but Thomas said he can't see them not getting the deal done very soon.

The rookies were thrown right into the fire today, and Chris Long blew by Alex Barron (who was playing LT) in a drill today. Jim said that one of the coaches thought Barron was a street free agent at first because of how he got beat, but then realized it was the former #1 pick of the Rams.

Second round pick Donnie Avery was very fast and made some nice catches for a good start. Fourth round pick Keenan Burton looked very quick as well, and may be a pleasant surprise according to Thomas.

Leonard Little was cleared for team drills, but both he and Adam Carriker were very limited today.

Two players not in attendance today were center Dustin Fry who is getting married this weekend because he thought it would be a rookie only camp, and left tackle Rob Petitti has a torn achilles tendon.

If any of the rookies were signed already, they would count in the number on the roster, but since none are signed, the Rams have 85 players in camp.

It might take a couple weeks into camp to see if the players' relationship with Scott Linehan is any different, but he seems much more relaxed. Thomas said he saw Linehan walking off the field with Chris Long smiling and he's getting along pretty well with the other players.

It was vintage Al Saunders going stride for stride with the receivers on some of the routes. He is in excellent shape and his energy on the field has not subsided since last time he was in St. Louis. Al's offense will be much more complex than what the players saw in Linehan's playbook.

Thomas said in the past few years the Rams had one rookie camp and one veteran camp, but there were never more than 28-30 players so they never had enough players for all the positions. Linehan wanted to get a sense of urgency going, and the players are going to get some extensive football earlier this year.

Jim said that the Rams have their eye on the Tampa Bay roster because they have 7 quarterbacks, because they want to have 4 in camp. This might not be something we see till early or mid July though.

Thomas was told by someone upstairs at Rams Park that they kept watching Felix Jones drop in the draft, and Jim thinks they would've taken him at #33 to back up Stephen Jackson. There is some mutual interest in Tampa Bay's Michael Pittman and the Rams also. Jim think Travis Minor is strictly a special teams player. Right now it comes down to how they will use Antonio Pittman and Brian Leonard.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: Jim Thomas 5/9 Mini-Camp Radio Update

The rookies were thrown right into the fire today, and Chris Long blew by Alex Barron (who was playing LT) in a drill today. Jim said that one of the coaches thought Barron was a street free agent at first because of how he got beat, but then realized it was the former #1 pick of the Rams.

Ha ha- did he jump offsides too? I don't know if this speaks to the exceptional talent of Long or a lack of talent in Barron.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post

Ha ha- did he jump offsides too? I don't know if this speaks to the exceptional talent of Long or a lack of talent in Barron.

Probably a bit of both. haha. Funny post.

I love reading the results. I hope to see our draft picks make an impact. And I definately want to see Avery shut some people )who thinks he's a bad pick) up.

Glad to see Long is doing good.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Thomas was told by someone upstairs at Rams Park that they kept watching Felix Jones drop in the draft, and Jim thinks they would've taken him at #33 to back up Stephen Jackson. There is some mutual interest in Tampa Bay's Michael Pittman and the Rams also. Jim think Travis Minor is strictly a special teams player. Right now it comes down to how they will use Antonio Pittman and Brian Leonard.
    So we were going to take Felix at #33 if he was still there eh...I guess this really does explain that Avery WASN'T a reach at #33, no not at all...if that is true we would've traded back into the 2nd round to grab him later. Face it people, he was a reach, but I wish him nothing but the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    So we were going to take Felix at #33 if he was still there eh...I guess this really does explain that Avery WASN'T a reach at #33, no not at all...if that is true we would've traded back into the 2nd round to grab him later. Face it people, he was a reach, but I wish him nothing but the best.
    So because the Rams were watching and considering another player, it proves Avery was a reach? I don't follow your logic. I would imagine Jones, who went 22nd overall, would likely get some consideration simply because of value alone. How that shows Avery was a reach at 33, I can't say I'm following you there...
    Last edited by Nick; -05-10-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Whether he was a reach or not is moot at this point. People like myself, who believe we could've had him later will not change that thinking, just as people who are on the opposite side of the ledger will not.

And since none of us will ever be able to prove it either way, I say we stop trying, and just hope he lives up to his draft status.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

All it explains is that Jim heard someone in the organization comment on how the Rams were surprised to see Felix Jones dropping. The post suggests that the idea that we were considering taking him was speculation by Jim and not his source. We don't even know the context in which the topic even came up. As far as value goes, all it tells us is that we seem to have had Felix graded higher than he was taken; it doesn't tell us anything about the value we placed on Avery.

I just don't see the need to immediately go negative on Avery when the only place he is mentioned in the article is: "Second round pick Donnie Avery was very fast and made some nice catches for a good start."

Anyway, it's good to hear that our guys are off to a good start. Thankfully we're not hearing anyone showed up in worse shape than we thought or looked completely lost out there. Sometimes you do get stories like that.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So because the Rams were watching and considering another player, it proves Avery was a reach? I don't follow your logic. I would imagine Jones, who went 22nd overall, would likely get some consideration simply because of value alone. How that shows Avery was a reach at 33, I can't say I'm following you there...
    If Avery was the next highest player/value on their board at that spot then by all means forgive me for my comment. I just felt that they went based on need provided they addressed our two biggest in the first two rounds. Miami, who didn't really have a DE need, took Merling because of the value. As I said, if Avery was the next best on our board then forgive me. It just pains me to see that we were targetting someone else and knew we could have traded back into the round to get Avery later on, much like we did for Burton and Schuening in rounds four and six.

If Avery was the next highest player/value on their board at that spot then by all means forgive me for my comment. I just felt that they went based on need provided they addressed our two biggest in the first two rounds. Miami, who didn't really have a DE need, took Merling because of the value. As I said, if Avery was the next best on our board then forgive me. It just pains me to see that we were targetting someone else and knew we could have traded back into the round to get Avery later on, much like we did for Burton and Schuening in rounds four and six.
    Considering Jones wasn't on the board when we picked, Avery very well could have been the highest rated player on our board at that time. We don't know one way or the other, nor do we know we could have traded back into the round to get Avery. Yet your initial response seemed to cite the Rams' interest in Jones as a reason Avery was a reach. Still don't understand that one.

As for whether we were targeting Jones, that's not what the write-up said. It simply said the Rams were paying attention to his fall (which wasn't far, since he went to Dallas @ 22) and Thomas himself thought they would take him if he was there at 33. He wasn't, so it's kind of a moot point.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

"Keenan Burton looked very quick as well, and may be a pleasant surprise according to Thomas"

Ditto... Said it from day one that this guy could be a real surprise.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

.. We knew we could have traded back into the round to get Avery later on. You're kidding .. right? What do you suppose we would have had to offer to "trade back into the round to get Avery"? The Rams had their pick of any WR in the draft and Avery was the guy they wanted .. Let's wait and see how Donnie pans out before we label him a reach ..

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Knew we could have traded back??? and still get Avery....who,what,where,why???

Strong statement very easy to assume but where is your evidence?????

Go ahead and get that would ya.... While yur up could u get me a beer and my pair of boots cause if your going to continue to shovel it I might as well enjoy a beer.

GO RAMS

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Who cares who was where and who was this and who was that, let's start looking at the bottom line which is who we drafted. It's Avery. He better produce.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

We really are citizens of the capital of Pessimismville, aren't we? We get reports of ....
    Chris Long blew by Alex Barron (who was playing LT) in a drill today. Jim said that one of the coaches thought Barron was a street free agent at first because of how he got beat, but then realized it was the former #1 pick of the Rams.

Second round pick Donnie Avery was very fast and made some nice catches for a good start. Fourth round pick Keenan Burton looked very quick as well, and may be a pleasant surprise according to Thomas.
    And even top it off with a speculative remark that Long's contract may get done soon. I could be wrong, but that's all good news, I think?

Only here in Pessimismville could we take this report and turn it into a conversation of the Rams draft woes. Truly sad.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod