tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Jim Thomas: Gilyard, Selvie, Toston, Onobun among Rams cuts

As the deadline nears for Saturday's roster cuts, the Post-Dispatch has confirmed 13 of the 20 cuts needed to be made by the St. Louis Rams to reach the 53-man limit.

The list includes:

_ Running backs Keith Toston and Chase Reynolds.

_ Wide receivers Mardy Gilyard and Greg Mathews.

_ Tight ends Fendi Onobun and Demarco Cosby.

_ Offensive linemen Renardo Foster and Quinn Ojinnaka.

_ Defensive linemen George Selvie and Marlon Favorite.

_ Linebacker Zac Diles.

_ Defensive backs Tim Atchison and Jonathan Nelson.

Nelson was a seventh-round draft pick this year out of Oklahoma. Gilyard (fourth round), Onobun (sixth round), and Selvie (seventh round) were 2010 draft picks. Diles (Houston) and Ojinnaka (New England) were among 12 veteran free agents signed by the Rams in late July and early August. Toston made the roster last season as a rookie free agent, Foster played in 10 games for the Rams last season, including one start. Mathews spent part of last season on the Rams' practice squad and could end up there again this year. Atchison, Cosby, and Reynolds are undrafted rookies. Favorite was with the Rams only for a few days; they needed an extra defensive tackle for the preseason finale in Jacksonville.

Although unconfirmed, there were indications that defensive tackle Daniel Muir, a free-agent pickup from Indianapolis, was released. And newly re-signed wide receiver Mark Clayton is expected to be placed on the physically unable to perform/reserve list, which means he won't count against the final 53 but can't play for at least six weeks.

That would bring the Rams to 15 roster moves, just five short of reaching 53. Other possibilities to be released include defensive tackle John Henderson, offensive guard/tackle Kevin Hughes, and offensive tackle/guard Ryan McKee.

Even if that's the case, a logjam still exists at wide receiver, where even with the release of Gilyard and Mathews, and the expected PUP/reserve designation of Clayton, the Rams still have eight wideouts, including Donnie Avery, Danario Alexander, and Austin Pettis. With a surplus at that position, a trade could be a possibility.

At the moment, it looks like TE/FB Ben Guidugli, WR Dominique Curry, C/G Drew Miller, and QB Thaddeus Lewis have made the team.
    Interesting note about there possibly being a trade involving a WR, is that why we have yet to hear about the final few cuts?

And I have to say i like that Thomas thinks Guidugli, Curry and Lewis have made the team. I love Curry's special teams ability

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Re: Jim Thomas: Gilyard, Selvie, Toston, Onobun among Rams cuts

I'm really glad to see Lewis (likely) make the team. He presents a new dimension to the QB position the Rams haven't had since I can remember... speed and agile mobility, without losing too much smarts and throwing ability.

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

if avery gets cut or traded without a good receiver coming at us or hanson from eagles... imma be pissed.... avery is my favorite receiver and is our fastest ... come on man think!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    I'm really glad to see Lewis (likely) make the team. He presents a new dimension to the QB position the Rams haven't had since I can remember... speed and agile mobility, without losing too much smarts and throwing ability.
    Jim Thomas has just tweeted that Lewis has been cut

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Jim Thomas has just tweeted that Lewis has been cut
    And Avery

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Well, this day hasn't been boring that's for sure! Not going to kiss the coaches rear's and say that I agree with all the moves, but it is what it is. The new TE looks like a nice pick up at least.