r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Jim Thomas Live Chat Transcript - April 5

Jim Thomas Live
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011

comments & answers
    vanvaley1: Are there any defensive tackles in this draft that compare with Suh? Odds that Spags et al will go with a DT as first round pick? van
    Jim Thomas: Fairley is smaller and it seems like his stock is dropping as scouts and personnel executives question his "motor" and his work ethic. Dareus is bigger than Suh and very good and I think in general he isn't viewed to be as dominant a prospect. Corey Liuget and is a smaller (290-300 range) who is more of a 3-techinique _ the quicker, more penetrating DT. And the fourth DT who probably will go in the first round is Temple's Muhammad Wilkerson who is raw but has plenty of potential.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary Nguyen: Hi, Jim

Some mocks had Julio Jones and Green gone before the Rams pick. Just thinking outside the box, do you think the Rams may trade down and acquire more picks and use their first round on TE Kyle Rudolph and use him as a WR. Or they could have stand pat and selected DT Corey Liuget, who I think is the best player available at #14?
    Jim Thomas: I think the Rams would certainly consider a trade-down scenario if neither WR is there. I think the first round is too high for Rudolph. I don't think I've seen a major mock draft with him in it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nick49: Hey Jim:
    1)Have the plans been finalized on the draft show youll be on 101 during draft day?
    2)Would you be disappointed if we went dt/de number 1,wr/speed back number 2,and olb/safety number 3?
    3)We have no defensive tackles!!!Would you trade for Barry Cofield of the Giants,or hope to get him in free agency?
    Thank you
    Jim Thomas: 1.) Not that I'm aware of. I'm sure I'll be on at some point.
    2.) No.
    3.) As you know, no trades or free agency are currently allowed. Let's see what the new deal is like _ whenever that happens _ and how free agency is structured.

Dan Lum: Hi Jim,

1) So with a lockout,what are the training alternatives for Rams and other teams' rookie draftees?
    2) How would the Rams ensure their guys are staying in football shape, or will they not be able to do that?
    3) Assuming players look at playbooks, are they simply outta luck as far as learning their positional duties and schemes ?
    4) Could 2011 be a scab year?
    Jim Thomas: 1.) Under lockout conditions, the last thing rookies are allowed to do is hold a press conference with their new teams.
    2.) The Rams can't have any contact with their players. If they're following the rules, they have no way of monitoring what the players are doing. For the Rams this would be the fourth week of the offseason program.
    3.) As of right now, they wouldn't really be looking at a playbook. Along those lines, the lockout doesn't really become a problem until after the draft, when the minicamps and OTAs begin.
    4.) If the judge rules the lockout is legal, then and only then, will I start to think that any games _ preseason or regular season _ are in jeopardy. At the owners meetings in New Orleans two weeks ago, Roger Goodell said the possibility of replacement players hasn't come up. I don't recall, however, hearing anyone in the league rule it out.

Bjsgolf: Jim,
    Thanks so much for these chats. I know this may sound crazy, but can you see the 2011 Rams starting to resemble the GSOT with the following roles being played:
    Warner = Bradford
    Faulk = Jackson
    Vermeil = Spagnuolo
    Martz = McDaniels
    Wistrom = Long
    Fletcher = Laurinaitis
    Pace = Saffold (albiet, poor mans Orlando Pace)
    Bruce/Holt = oh well

I am NOT trying to say that 2011 is the GSOT II, but is the the foundation similar with the last piece of the puzzle being the wide receivers?
    Jim Thomas: Among other things, it's the "oh well" that pales in comparison.

Steve: Thank you Jim for all you do to keep us informed about 'our' beloved Rams. My opinion is we HAVE to address our WR position above all other positions. Either get after a veteran WR through the FA process or move up in the draft if at all possible. Yes we need a 'scat back' running back...but it comes down to having a 'legitimate passing game.
    We can have a 'bend but don't break' defense...but we need an explosive offense.
    The question is...if you were Billy D...What would you do?
    Jim Thomas: Well, that's a very tough question if Green and Jones aren't around. Particularly with no free agency currently on the horizon. I don't know how to answer your question. Devaney has said there are a lot of good WR possibilities in Round 2. We'll see.

Don Michaud: Good Morning,

Two questions:

1. Have not heard much on the lockout lately and I was wondering if you could tell me what your gut feeling is about resolving this prior to July 1st. I want to support my Rams but its becoming harder to hear that the players are underpaid. I mean, they do understand that they are millionaires right?

2. I have read in the papers/online and heard on sports radio that most likely both recievers will be gone by the time the Rams pick at 14. If this is the case do the Rams try and trade up to take a reciever or do they believe if healthy, their receiving core is adequate for year two of the Sam Bradford era?

Bradford to Alexander...touchdown Rams and the Rams win their 11th in a row and clinch the NFC West! Who's with me...........................

Have a great day
    Jim Thomas: 1.) I don't think I've heard many _ if any _ players claim they are underpaid. The issue is, they don't want to take a pay cut without knowing why.

2.) As for trading up, I guess it depends on how far either receiver lasts. I get the impression that Devaney doesn't think the Rams are quite in the position to use extra draft picks to trade up. Maybe the Rams get tempted if Jones is still there before the Redskins pick. The Rams averaged 17 points a game last year. I guess their receivers could stay healthy and all improve, but to me that would be an optimistic outlook.

Jim S.: Jim-thanks for these chats during these dark times..thank goodness we have the draft to occupy our time..let's assume that the WR's are gone at 14 and we dont trade down. You've hinted that you would be ok with drafting Mark Ingram, if he's on the top of your draft board. Many have stated that, with all the needs of the Rams, that drafting Ingram would be a dumb move, and it might piss off SJax. Seems to me that you draft the BPA (except for QB, obviously)regardless of position-that's how you get better. And those same people seem to have forgotten that SJax was drafted while Marshall Faulk was still around. #39 had the good fortune to be able to learn at the feet of one of the greats, and still more from Stephen Davis when he was brought on board when Faulk's knees finally broke down. Point is, why would SJax be upset if Ingram was drafted, when that was the exact scenario he came into the league with. #39 would make a great tutor! So, stay true to your board, and if that means drafting Ingram, then draft him. Keep up the good work Jim!!
    Jim Thomas: Jackson is a very proud man, and I think he takes great pride in being the workhorse in the backfield. I'm trying to recall now what Faulk's reaction was when Jackson was drafted, and I can't recall any strong reaction either way. But by the time Jackson was drafted, Faulk's knees had become an issue and I think Faulk realized he was on short time. I don't think Jackson feels that way at this point in his career.

Andrew from Toronto: Hi Jim,

I love reading the "One on One's" and the Q&A's from fellow Ram fans. It is a fairly quiet time other than the upcoming draft in a few weeks. My question to you Jim is, are there some players that are "under the radar" that you feel the Rams should target in the draft? If so, who do you think they should look at? In the mid rounds, which we have not done so well recently, what positions should we target or do we focus on the best player available?

Thanks,

Andrew
    Jim Thomas: It's tough enough getting a bead on the early rounds, much less the mid rounds. But these are at least some names that I've heard or seen the Rams' name attached to in one way or the other. Now the precise degree of interest for each player, I couldn't tell you: WR Jock Sanders, West Virginia; S Jeron Johnson, Boise State; S Jaiquawn, Temple; OG Will Rackley, Lehigh; WR Raymond Webber, Arkansas-Pine Bluff; OG Keith Williams, Nebraska, LB Mason Foster, Washington State. RB Steven Ridley, LSU. Now some of these guys (Sanders? Webber?) may be being considered more as potential free agents than draft picks, but I don't know for sure.

Tackleberry: Jim,

Does a player like former FSU receiver Fred Rouse appear on the Rams' radar for the middle to late rounds? He obviously has had some problems in the off the field in past but his upside seems tremendous. Plus, he's proven his talent in a major conference and did so at a young age.
    Jim Thomas: Don't know.

IL-side: Hello Mr. Thomas,

I was like most every other Rams fan, howling for WR as our #1 need this offseason and OG as #2, either it be through FA or the draft, but my opinion has now changed. Defense wins championships, and I feel like we should go all defense except for picking up a 3rd down, change of pace back in the 2nd or 3rd round. I think that the back up running back might actually be our biggest need right now, and I can't help but keep thinking that Jacquizz Rdgers would fit perfectly for what we need. How do you fell about Rodgers, or is there someone else who might be available that would fit better, in your opinion?

Also, I feel that we are 2 good offseasons away from being really competitive, so why not get as much defense as we can this year, and spend next offseason plugging the few holes on both offense and defense we should have left instead of trying to plug the few holes we have on offense this year and using stop gap measures on defense again. Anyway, that's just my opinion, not really a question unless you have some thoughts on it? Or am I just completely off base?

Thank you for your time.
    Jim Thomas: I think Rodgers is a very interesting prospect. Now he doesn't have ideal speed, but the book on him is that he's a strong, drive, competitor. I would be surprised if the Rams haven't discussed him to some degree.
    I'm not so sure that defense wins championships. I think the best offense prevailed in this year's Super Bowl. But I agree with your general premise that the Rams still probably have more holes than they can fill in one draft or free agency than can be filled in one offseason. I do, however, think the roster is in noticeably better shape than it was a couple of years ago _ but it's just not there yet.

Oldgeek: Jim,
    I thought the weakness of the Rams OL was at the C and G positions last year. The pass blocking wasn't bad but the running game had problems all season. Do you see the Rams fixing this in the draft or FA (if it ever comes)?
    Thanks
    Old Geek
    Jim Thomas: I'd be surprised if they didn't try to add a starting-caliber interior offensive lineman one way or the other.

CandygramforMongo: Hi Jim, I really hope the Rams don't reach for a defensive lineman in the first round. Most mock drafts I've seen have anywhere from 5-7 defensive linemen going before we pick at #14. With so many needs across the board, especially on offense given our difficulty in scoring points last year, what do you think the chances are that the Rams will actually select a defensive lineman?
    Jim Thomas: Again, if both WRs are gone, and assuming the Rams stay at No. 14 overall, their best options may be several defensive linemen or RB Mark Ingram.

Mark in NY: Hi Jim. I'm hoping for a big year next in 2011. Spags and Devaney are into their third year now and it will be time to evaluate their success after this year. They have had total control of the draft and personnel decisions, so next year seems like do or die time. If the Rams don't get any better after three years under the same coach and GM, maybe it will be time to replace them. It doesn't seem fair to evaluate them based on their won-loss record only, but I expect to see a BIG difference in the Rams play-making abilities and competitiveness. What criteria would you use to rank Spags and Devaney after this year?
    Jim Thomas: Well, I think you've laid it out pretty well.

Dennis: Jim,

I know that this for the Rams, but I have to ask this question. Seems to me the Rams, Blues, and Cardinals have the same problems every year:

1. Bad strength, conditioning, and training staff resulting in key players always getting hurt.

2. Ownership that refuses to open the wallet and will only sign inexperience players that no other team wants, 30 year olds or older who are no longer in their prime, and only 1 or 2 top tier players.

3. A poor farm system.

If the lockout continues, I'll still have to include the Rams, but if the lockout ends then I'll add that Rams seem to be trying to break these tendencies.

Your thoughts?
    Jim Thomas: 1.) The Rams had as many players on IR under new trainer Reggie Scott as they did the previous year under Jim Anderson. I will say, though, that they didn't have as many frontline players on IR this year.

2.) I'm not a baseball expert, but I wouldn't call Matt Holliday a cheap or non-valued player. And in football, I'll just use the example of the two Browns. (And you can debate the actual performance of the players all you want.) But I believe the Rams made Jason Brown the highest-paid center in the game (at least at the time they signed him) and several teams were after him. And the Rams made Josh Brown the highest-paid kicker in the league.

3.) There really isn't a farm system in football.

McGarrett: Jim - Given all of the data regarding the dramatic drop in production by running backs around age 30, how close do you think we are to considering a back with feature potential in the draft this year or next? SJ39 seems to have carried a pretty heavy load over the last few years.

Thank you, sir.
    Jim Thomas: Great question. And I think the Rams have delayed the almost-annual "effort" to add a quality change-of-pace back behind Jackson to the point where we're on the cusp of wondering if the Rams should be thinking about a successor instead. I myself think Jackson has two or three more top-tier seasons under his belt. (And if you think that way, it might be a year or two early to be thinking about a successor.) He turns 28 in July. If don't think Jackson has two or three top years left, then I could see where you might be thinking more strongly about Mark Ingram.

Joe: Hey Jim, Can you share with us any information/rumors that you have been hearing around the Rams camp on who (Aldon Smith, Corey Liuget, Cameron Jordan, etc) the Rams might be targeting (assuming A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Marcell Dareus and Robert Quinn are already gone) in the upcoming draft? Can you guess if they have really fallen for any of these (or any other players) players? Do you think there is a decent chance that Jones falls to the Rams at #14? Thanks!
    Jim Thomas: The only thing I'll share is that there may be some concern that Cameron Jordan is a "rich man's" Victor Adeyanju. In other words a better athlete than Adeyanju, but still not a great pass rusher.

ramfanoncapecod: Hi Jim, Say the strike gets over this week, Does Stan make a name for himself and start to see what this team can do and go out and grab maybe 4-5 free agents. Who would you like to see them get? Thanks and have a great day
    Jim Thomas: I think if you read my latest interview with Kroenke, he outlined his feelings on free agency very clearly. If you expect him to simply throw money at problems _ don't hold your breath _ it's not going to happen. As for who the Rams might get, let's wait to see if it's four-year free agency or six-year free agency. If it's six years, it takes a lot of players off the table.

DDavid: Hey Jim, looking at the latest mocks it seems that the Redskins are slowly checking out Jake Locker from the other side of the "party". Here's hoping they jump on him and push JJones to the Rams. Are Quinn & Bowers that good where teams can overlook them being damaged goods? Thanks.
    Jim Thomas: For what it's worth, I talked to an agent this week who has some dealings with the Redskins who said he was told the 'Skins wanted to go quarterback or wide receiver at No. 10, depending on who was there. From a Rams standpoint, the more QBs and offensive tackles taken in the top 13 the better.
    I think Quinn and Bowers might drop some because of their issues. All the way to the Rams? Don't think so, but.....

Jake: Why the "Man Crush" on Todd Hewitt? Is it because he was a "Leak" to the press? Hey at least u still have Demoff
    Jim Thomas: You sound like a paranoid Rams employee, and believe me, there are plenty of them around here. No man crush here. I'm a big believer in exit interviews, particularly for someone who has been with the organization for a long time. If (or when) Devaney, Demoff and Spagnuolo leave, retire, or get fired, I would extend the same courtesy to them. For a variety of reasons, Hewitt and I hadn't had a chance to catch up with each other until now. The story appeared in blog form only; it didn't run in the newspaper (as is sometimes the case with stories). As for "leak" _ I'm not sure what you're talking about. Last time I checked, I don't think equipment managers were invited into the draft meetings or sat in with the coaches during the season when they were going over game plans. And if you're talking about what was being said by players in the locker room behind the scenes, Todd never violated that trust. At least not to me. I do know, however, that a lot of coaches expect the equipment manager or trainer to be a "snitch" _ to let them know what the players are thinking. I wonder if that was part of the problem with Hewitt and the Rams? That he wouldn't snitch on the players or be a "leak" for the head coach? What do you think? Whenever we did talk, which wasn't all that frequently under the media restrictions placed upon us by the current regime, we spent most of our time talking about amateur baseball (we've both been active on that scene for a long time, and have even played against each other) or high school sports in general. Even when I sat down with him for the interview that led to the blog we spent about 15 minutes talking Vianney baseball, Oakville baseball, the Johnny Mac program, the Outman brothers (both in the pros), the Haggerty (?) kid (former Miami, Fla., Vianney, and Johnny Mac player) who is now in the pros. And while we were talking in a restaurant, another baseball person that we knew walked by, recognized us, and we talked some more baseball.
    P.S. _ If I really was trying to make Spagnuolo or the Rams look bad, I would have mentioned in the blog that the Rams are still squeezing Hewitt over his severance pay!!! Or that Spagnuolo made Hewitt quit his duties as an assistant coach at Vianney High _ a labor of love for Todd that didn't interfere one bit with his work at Rams Park.
    P.P.S._ Coach Spagnuolo has an open invitation to discuss his side of the Hewitt dismissal, and he knows that. But he has declined to comment.

gdarby: Hi Jim,

Thanks for the chat.

I've heard that the Bengals and Browns both prefer Julio Jones over A.J. Green due to the style of their offense and Jones ability as a run blocker...if Green doesn't get taken in the first three picks and is still there at no. 10 when Washington picks, would the Rams seriously consider trading up for him?

I realize that the Rams want to stockpile draft picks, but would they really pass on a potential future HOF receiver like Green?
    Jim Thomas: I don't know about trading up for Green. But I think the Rams would be very excited about the possibility of getting Green, whom more view as a more natural receiver with great hands. As for trading up for him, I wonder?

STLSkeptic: Hey Jim, Two questions:
    1)Do the Rams have enough OT depth? Should I have more faith in Renardo Foster? (seems like all the more reason to draft or sign a FA guard so Goldberg can be a second backup OT)
    2)I've heard Spags likes big, physical DBs and d-linemen that can be effective both inside and outside, but I haven't heard what kind of LBs he likes. Since we have a need at at least one of the OLB positions, does he prefer big and physical or smaller and faster at OLB? Can you prioritize the following: pass-rusher, run-stopper, coverage guy, etc.?
    Thanks for your time and expertise!
    Jim Thomas: 1.) I guess they might (have enough depth) if Goldberg returned to his former role _ and one he filled well _ as a four-position utility man. Otherwise, I'm not sure if there's another man in the mix.
    2.) The Giants had bigger, more physical types. And I think that's the Spags model in general. As for how Spags prioritizes pass-rusher, run-stopper, coverage guy, I'm not sure. In general the strongside backer is more stout against the run. The weakside backer is more of the coverage guy. But those are broad generalizations And I think if either of those spots can rush the passer, all the better.

Thomas T: Hi Jim;
    Early mock drafts had Da'Quan Bowers easily as a top 5 pick (some saying #1 to Carolina), but after his pro day his stock seems to be falling to the point where I would assume he's around at #14 for us. Any vibe from the front office on how they feel about him?

Thanks,
    Thomas
    Jim Thomas: I think that all would depend on how his medical information checks out. With that I've got to go. Sorry I didn't get to as many questions today, but I've got to leave to work on a story.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Re: Jim Thomas Live Chat Transcript - April 5

"If I wanted to make him look bad I would say things I'm keeping private to not make him look bad" would be a good way for Jim Thomas to word what he was saying about the equipment manager/spags situation without sounding like a bitter man.

But he didn't, and he does.

Also...I want a freaking receiver =(.

Don't care which of the top two it is, to be perfectly honest.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    "If I wanted to make him look bad I would say things I'm keeping private to not make him look bad" would be a good way for Jim Thomas to word what he was saying about the equipment manager/spags situation without sounding like a bitter man.

But he didn't, and he does.

Also...I want a freaking receiver =(.

Don't care which of the top two it is, to be perfectly honest.
    Ha, yeah JT seemed pretty defensive and very much bitter.

And I am afraid to say, but at this point its looking like your last comment is kinda like me saying, "I'll date Jessica, Alba or Biel, I'm not too picky." .... I mean .... because I too also want a receiver.
    Last edited by C-Mob 71; -04-07-2011 at 01:50 AM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Jake: Why the "Man Crush" on Todd Hewitt? Is it because he was a "Leak" to the press? Hey at least u still have Demoff
    Jim Thomas: You sound like a paranoid Rams employee, and believe me, there are plenty of them around here. No man crush here. I'm a big believer in exit interviews, particularly for someone who has been with the organization for a long time. If (or when) Devaney, Demoff and Spagnuolo leave, retire, or get fired, I would extend the same courtesy to them. For a variety of reasons, Hewitt and I hadn't had a chance to catch up with each other until now. The story appeared in blog form only; it didn't run in the newspaper (as is sometimes the case with stories). As for "leak" _ I'm not sure what you're talking about. Last time I checked, I don't think equipment managers were invited into the draft meetings or sat in with the coaches during the season when they were going over game plans. And if you're talking about what was being said by players in the locker room behind the scenes, Todd never violated that trust. At least not to me. I do know, however, that a lot of coaches expect the equipment manager or trainer to be a "snitch" _ to let them know what the players are thinking. I wonder if that was part of the problem with Hewitt and the Rams? That he wouldn't snitch on the players or be a "leak" for the head coach? What do you think? Whenever we did talk, which wasn't all that frequently under the media restrictions placed upon us by the current regime, we spent most of our time talking about amateur baseball (we've both been active on that scene for a long time, and have even played against each other) or high school sports in general. Even when I sat down with him for the interview that led to the blog we spent about 15 minutes talking Vianney baseball, Oakville baseball, the Johnny Mac program, the Outman brothers (both in the pros), the Haggerty (?) kid (former Miami, Fla., Vianney, and Johnny Mac player) who is now in the pros. And while we were talking in a restaurant, another baseball person that we knew walked by, recognized us, and we talked some more baseball.
    P.S. _ If I really was trying to make Spagnuolo or the Rams look bad, I would have mentioned in the blog that the Rams are still squeezing Hewitt over his severance pay!!! Or that Spagnuolo made Hewitt quit his duties as an assistant coach at Vianney High _ a labor of love for Todd that didn't interfere one bit with his work at Rams Park.
    P.P.S._ Coach Spagnuolo has an open invitation to discuss his side of the Hewitt dismissal, and he knows that. But he has declined to comment.
    Question from AvengerRam?
    Still, Thomas' reaction is very strange, and the bits at the end were just completely unnecessary. Sounds like Thomas has some beef with Spagnuolo, and I doubt it's just down to this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Question from AvengerRam?
    Still, Thomas' reaction is very strange, and the bits at the end were just completely unnecessary. Sounds like Thomas has some beef with Spagnuolo, and I doubt it's just down to this.
    No, not mine. If I had asked him a question about this, I wouldn't have used the term "man crush."

Thomas has lost all objectivity on the subject of Hewitt (who he is obviously friendly with). As a result, I have to question his ability to be objective about Spagnuolo and the Rams. That's a pretty big problem, if you ask me, for a journalist who is supposed to be a Rams beat writer.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-07-2011 at 09:34 AM.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

What the hell is Jim Thomas ranting about?!! He is supposed to act like the professional beat writer that he has been for quite some time, not to invoke personal opinions about what goes on in the locker room and the former/current equipment manager! He obviously lost his cool, because it just went from bad to just plain ol' ugly.

I want a receiver too, by the way lol...

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Ahemmm...Mob, your desire for a "reciever" is duly noted.

The concept of equipment managers is intreaging. Are they like towel boys? Or are they like autonomous master gunery sargents who run the commissary?
    I'm the guy that walks up after the argument's started.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Ha, yeah JT seemed pretty defensive and very much bitter.

And I am afraid to say, but at this point its looking like your last comment is kinda like me saying, "I'll date Jessica, Alba or Biel, I'm not too picky." .... I mean .... because I too also want a receiver.

Lol. I'm just tired of second round or later wide receivers that go on to not do much.

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Ahemmm...Mob, your desire for a "reciever" is duly noted.

The concept of equipment managers is intreaging. Are they like towel boys? Or are they like autonomous master gunery sargents who run the commissary?
    *looking at broken helmet* "WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION?!" "ONLY TWO THINGS COME FROM *looks at back of helmet* "CHINA, TOXIC HEAVY METALS AND COMMUNISTS AND YOU DON'T LOOK LIKE A COMMUNIST!"

*Steven Jackson wanders in.* "You know if you just reattach the chin strap it'll be good to go."

" DID I ASK FOR YOUR OPINION ROOKIE?!"

"I'm not a rookie..."

"Right..sorry."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

But in all honesty, I have no idea. But I bet they spend a really large amount of time around the players.