r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Jim Thomas Live Chat Transcript - March 15

Jim Thomas Live
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 01:00 PM CDT

nick49: I was WRONG!!!!! Never thought it would get to this where greed got the best of both parties.........sad!
    Dominic
    Jim Thomas: I too am surprised the players union took the litigation plunge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team First!!!: Hey Jim, thanks for taking the time to do these chats. Do you have any idea how much money the Rams have tied up in 2011 contracts?
    Jim Thomas: Someone asked me this last week _ maybe it was you _ and I didn't have the answer at the time. But I checked on it last week and according to info filed with the NFL Players Association, the Rams currently have 50 players under contract through at least 2011, with $107 million committed to those players in '11. Those figures do not include the eight players the Rams tendered as potential restricted free agents for '11. (For one, the exact amount of those tenders is not known at this time; and for another, we don't know if free agency will be for 6-year players or 4-year players once the work stoppage ends.)
    In any event, that puts the Rams in decent but not outstanding cap shape. In 2009, the last year with a salary cap, the cap was $128 million. I think it's safe to assume _ if there is a cap _ that it will be bigger than $128 million in 2011. Only 12 teams in the league had more money potentially committed to players in 2011 than the Rams. The league high was Dallas at $137 million; the league low was Tampa Bay at $62 million.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

playoffsn2010: Jim, is there enough of a fan base for Stan to keep the Rams in St. Louis long term? Plenty of empty seats last season and an extended lockout will not help selling tickets.
    Jim Thomas: Very good question. The fans did hang in for a while when things started going south in 2005, but a lockout won't help the Rams get the fans back.

Lawarence Marmie: Jim,

Do you have a problem with the NFLPA, which supposedly doesn't exist, telling potential picks not to show up to the draft ceremonies in April? First off, these guys wouldn't part of the union until they sign with an NFL team and secondly, I think you are robbing young men of a moment they've been dreaming about their whole lives. Could you imagine how Bradford would have felt last year if he hadn't been able to go up to the podium and hold up that jersey? I think it's a despicable tactic and one likely to backfire on the union by moving disgusted fans, who were on the fence, towards the side of the owners.
    Jim Thomas: If anything, I think it fuels the league's stance that decertification was a sham. I know if I was a player I would be there. As you mentioned, this is a once-in-a-lifetime moment. Why should a young man bypass that opportunity just because players and owners are squabbling over how to divide $9 billion?

Son of a Sailor: Jim: Based on Chris Long's play, do you think the Rams should renew his contract?
    Jim Thomas: Based on last year's play, certainly. But he has two years left on his contract, so it's not something the Rams are concerned about right now.

Loren: I am a lifetime NFL and Ram fan but just sick of all the greed that is getting bigger and bigger in all sports. I spend a ton of money on traveling for games and I do for as much to see my fellow fans as I do the teams themselves. However I am getting to the point where I am going to put my foot down. Start spending money on supporting my local community rather then a NFL team that leaves me as an after thought. How is that for a rant.
    Jim Thomas: Loren, the longer this goes on, I think the more people will agree with you, Especially when that $8 cup of beer is hiked up to $10 next year to help pay the freight.

RAMphetamine: Explain to me how "The Hair" has the Rams taking Corey Luiget at #14 overall but in Pat Kirwan's latest mock over at NFL.com he has Luiget falling all the way to the Vikings at #43? I don't care about the "3-4 defense spike in recent years" and "fit the scheme" yadda yadda. Since when has BPA not mattered anymore?
    Jim Thomas: Well, you know how these mocks go, they can be all over the board. I saw a Pro Football Talk mock about a week ago that didn't even have Adrian Clayborn in the first round. I think one of the things with Liuget (it's spelled with the i before the u) is that he's an underclassmen who didn't really have a name in college. Some people maybe slow to catch onto him.

RAMphetamine: Julio Jones is gone. Aldon Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, Robert Quinn, Mark Ingram and "the better"(?) Pouncey are all still available. For giggles' sake, as are Luiget, Ayers and Clayborn. You would select________.
    Jim Thomas: I'll say I'll pick between Liuget, Smith, Clayborn, and Cameron Jordan.

RAMphetamine: If Jones is gone and Amukamara is still on the board, do you have to take him? Is it really feasible that Bartell or Murphy could/would move to safety?
    Jim Thomas: Yes, and I wouldn't think twice.

Andrew from Toronto: Hi Jim,

Thanks for taking our questions each week. I was wondering what the status will be for the Rams leading up to the draft and are they still putting the pieces together for Free Agency (if there is a season?)seeing the uncertainty of the NFL. Can the Rams go after any players that have been cut or released from other teams ao are they in limbo? I see that the Jags released a good wide receiver and so can the Rams sign him?

Thanks again,

Andrew from Toronto
    Jim Thomas: Right now, they can't sign anybody. Nor can anybody in the league. They can't even sign any of their own free agetns under lockout conditions.

RAMphetamine: I'm taking OSU over Louisville and Pitt over Texas. Stuck in the end. And yourself?
    Jim Thomas: I'm not very good in these pools. Last year, I didn't even enter one because I figured I would just be donating the money to someone.

RAMphetamine: Have you watched any tape or done any research on a safety named Robert Sands? If not, he's the HUGE one. It's hard to not daydream about this guy in the 3rd round or so. How often do you see a safety bigger than nearly every wide receiver in the league who can creep into the box and even blitz? Surely he's more of a "Spagnuolo system type S" than Atogwe was.
    Jim Thomas: I talked to Sands briefly at the combine. He looks big enough to a linebacker and it very tall by safety standards at 6-4 1/2. He has a reputation as a thumper. But at that height there are some questions about his ability to change directions in coverage, particularly against wideouts. I think he is a guy that could be available in the mid rounds.

Frank C.: Jim,

My personal opinion, Only if Julio Jones is off the draft board, the Rams still have many holes to fill "WR,OLB,SS,RB,OG,CB,DE" and it seems this is a very deep draft talent wise. The Rams would be wise to trade out of their 1st round pick and try to get more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Secondly, this would be a great year to bring in a RB, for insurance and developement while the Great Stephen Jackson is still productive.
    Jim Thomas: Devaney has made no secret of the fact that the Rams might be willing to trade down from No. 14, but I get the distinct impression he's not talking about moving down that far. I certainly don't think we're talking about trading out of the first round entirely.

virginiatom: Would the Rams be intested in Andre Carter at DE? He is getting up there in age but is a high motor character guy that fits Spags mold.
    Jim Thomas: Yeah, I wondered about that too when he got cut. Carter certainly was miscast in the 3-4 and might still have some value in a 4-3 as a rotation player. Of course, under lockout conditions even cut players are off limits.

Jim S.: Jim, thanks for these chats-takes our minds off the obvious stuff. Draft question: It's a good bet that we wont be drafting a WR in the first round as Jones and Green will be gone. Now it's our turn in round 2, and we are looking at WR's. The all-around studs are gone, what's left are more definable as speed burners or slot receivers. Which way do you go, considering our current roster (include Clayton on that roster). How would a Hankerson or Baldwin fit in? And do you stay away from Baldwin due to the 4 pillars? (he'll probably be gone by then anyway, so it's a moot question) What's the best upgrade?
    Jim Thomas: Not sure why, but I get the impression the Rams aren't that high on Hankerson. I think Baldwin could be there. Other possibilities at WR in the 2nd could be Titus Young, Torrey Smith, maybe Greg Little, Tandon Doss, Vincent Brown, or Randall Cobb.

AzRamsFan: Jim, thanks for taking my question. Is there any information on the recovery of Avery, Clayton and Robinson? If the Rams do happen to get J Jones, does Robinson stay?
    Jim Thomas: All indications are that Avery and Clayton are doing fine. But you never know for sure until they get back out on the field practdicing. Maybe I'm blanking out, but I don't recall any surgery for Robinson. Robinson was tendered by the Rams as a restricted free agent (since he's a four-year man that tender wouldn't take effect if we return to the old standard for unrestricted free agency. If that's the case and Robinson becomes unrestricted once there's a new CBA, I don't think the Rams would extend themselves to get LRob back.

Prof: Hi Mr. Thomas,

Thanks for taking our questions.

So far as I know, Ben McDaniels is not employed by any NFL team, so it would seem legal for him in the lockout period to work with Bradford, preparing him for the Josh McDaniels' offense. Make sense? Have you heard any serious talk about that possibility?
    Jim Thomas: I haven't heard any talk about that here. And since he's not employed in the league, I don't see how it could violate any rule.

Encino: With no union contract in force, if push comes to shove, is a player chosen in the upcoming draft legally responsible to the team that drafted him, or can he sell his services to any team?
    Jim Thomas: Nothing changes in regard to the draft, with the exception of after they are drafted, they cannot work with the coaches or be at Rams Park under lockout conditions.

Bjsgolf: Jim,
    Thanks for the continued chats. I think we should go to all draft talk all the time for awhile......my question is that with the great combine from Julio Jones, I think the Rams can forget about drafting a wide receiver in the first round. (I don't think the foot surgery will cause him to fall too much).
    I saw one mock draft where the Nebraska cornerback Prince Amukamara fell to the Rams. I would hate to see the Rams draft a cornerback over a defensive lineman. Aren't we set with Bartell and Fletcher? James Hall cannot play forever, I vote for a defensive lineman.
    Jim Thomas: As I mentioned before, I don't know how you could pass on Prince. But I just don't see him being there at 14.

AndyO: Jim:
    Prevailing sentiment is that the Rams need to upgrade at both guard positions. Two questions about left guard:
    1) Is Bell's performance commensurate with his salary?
    2) If not, are there any reasons for not signing a replacement that is playing to his salary level and cutting Bell?
    Jim Thomas: 1.) Maybe not the salary he's due in 2011, but I think Bell is getting a bit of bum rap about his play in '10. Does he get overpowered by big DTs on occasion? Yes. But I think he was pretty solid in 2010.
    2.) It's great to cut players, but remember, you've got to find someone at least as good if you do that.

Memphis Ram: Two questions.

1)Are you going to the University of Missouri Pro Day?

2) Prior to the lockout had there been any discussion at Rams Park regarding moving Jerome Murphy to free safety? I've noticed that he entered college as a FS and played there some while there.
    Jim Thomas: 1.) Yes.

2.) UPDATED answer: Switching Murphy to safety has not been part of the Rams' thought process at this point.

RAMBLE: Jim,

Couple ideas on the lockout:

1. Have a salary cap reduced the way the owners want. But allow those teams that want to exceed it (Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, etc.) a mechanism to do so. Maybe like the luxury tax concept but harder to do. It would have to come with penalties so it doesn't upset parity much.

2. Since the draftees are not yet part of the union, have all that salary savings go to the owners. And the rookie pool would be separated from the salary cap. The rest of the salary structure would be like the present. So, the veteran players would still get what they're getting now.
    Jim Thomas: U raise an interesting point on your second question. The NFLPA's original proposal for a revised rookie cap would've saved the league an estimated $200 million a year. The NFLPA wanted $100 million of that a year to go to veteran players and $100 a year of that to go to retired players. (Acoording to the NFLPA, the league wouldn't guarantee that that's how they'd use the money so the proposal died on the vine, so to speak.) Anyway, under that propsal why not cut the proposal to say $75 million for retired players and $75 million for vets. That would give the owners $50 million a year more. Not enough to solve the issue. But since the owners apparently were down to asking for $325 million at the end of the day, every $50 million helps, right?

Dwayne: Hey Jim, Are players going to be subjected to drug test during the lockout?
    Jim Thomas: No.

rams26: Hello Jim!

If you had to take a guess when do you think the CBA will get done?

Thanks!

GO RAMS!!!!!
    Jim Thomas: Hard to say, but if it goes the full litigation route it could take years. (With football being played in the meantime.) I have a hard time believing that we're going to see a full-fledge lawsuit scenario, but then again, I never thought we'd even reach the decertifcation/lockout stage.

CandygramforMongo: Jim,
    As bad as the Rams need a #1 WR, I wouldn't be dissapointed if they took Ingram with the 14th overall pick. Jackson has a couple of good years left in my opinion and it's time to start looking for his heir apparent. What do you think the chances are that the Rams take Ingram if he's still there?
    Jim Thomas: I kind of go back and forth on this one. There's a greater immediate need just for a complementary back, someone the Rams could get in Rounds 3 or 4. But will Ingram simply be too good to pass up at 14? And how to you keep Jackson and Ingram both happy if you draft him?

ramdavis11: What is the perception of our depth at cb?(king,johnson,murphey)
    I think this is the draft where we are in a prime spot to move back and collect some picks...your thoughts.
    Do you think that mcdaniels at least sent something for bradford to chew on for the lockout ?
    Jim Thomas: You can never have enough corners.
    Devaney has stated he's open to the idea of trading back.
    Yes.

Kevin: Jim,

What do you think the Rams should do about the OLB position? In my opinion it is the biggest need for us. Also, Is Na'il Diggs still under contract or is he a free agent?
    Jim Thomas: There really aren't any options in the first round (at 14) once Von Miller goes off the board. So that means you're looking at Round 2 or later. As for free agency, it's looking more and more like we won't have free agency before the draft, since the first hearing on the players' lawsuit isn't until April 6 or just 3 weeks before the draft. Yes, Diggs is still under contract.

true fan: jim...much has been made out of the union seeing the owners' financial records. what has been asked for and what has been shown? thanks!
    Jim Thomas: I think the union has been shown revenue, but not costs. And I think when the owners said they were going to provide more info, it was just a couple of lines: profits now and profits before. But a lot of this is based only on what I've read and heard.

Logan: If julio jones is gone before the 14th pick, do you think the rams will try to get somebody like Jonathen Baldwin or Torrey Smith with there 2nd round Pick?
    Jim Thomas: I think they're both candidates, and Devaney has said he thinks there are a lot of good WR prospects in Round 2.

Phil: Jim, I've been a Rams fan for over 40 years now. I'm glad to see them starting to build something from the ashes they were. They have so many holes to fill, in what order of importance do you think they are ?
    Jim Thomas: WR, OLB, backup RB, DT, S, CB, DE (order subject to change)

Fletcher Peacock: Hi Jim, thanks for taking my question. There is now talk of a boycott of the NFL Draft. Are the players who declared early their eligibility for the draft able to "un-declare" and return to complete their remaining eligibility on the collegiate level. My concern is that if there were not to be football in 2011, that those players who declared would be at risk of diminishing skills, if they were not able to play at either the collegiate or professional level. Is there any talk about this if this turns out to be a long protracted court battle? Thanks for your comments.
    Jim Thomas: Haven't heard of anything like this. I think once you hire an agent, there's no turning back. Plus, the players knew this was a possibility once they turned pro.

Steve Leipziger: iyo, what is the bigger need on d. dt, olb, or s?

thanks,
    Steve
    Jim Thomas: Can I say all of the above? It doesn't look like Clifton Ryan will be back as a free agent, which leaves an aging Robbins, a disappointing Darell Scott, and undrafted Jermelle Cudjo as the only guys returning under contract who played any appreciable amount last season. The team wants to re-sign Gary Gibson, who's in unrestricted/restricted limbo during the labor impasse.
    The Rams went through four different starters at weakside LB last year _ Chamberlain, Grant, Vobora and Kehl. All have some assets, and some drawbacks. But I think it's clear an upgrade is needed there.
    And I think you could've made a case for a need at safety even before Atogwe left.

OTRamsFan: Jim, thanks for the time you put in with these chats....no matter what the problems the Rams have, every other team in the NFC West has bigger problems. SF- rookie coach, new OC, no QB, no one behind Gore...Seattle- Hasselbeck?, new OC, new offense, defense? RB?...Arizona-no QB, bad defense, new DC, new defense. We are aware of the Rams issues, but we do have a solid defense to build on, we have Bradford (which any of the above would take in a heartbeat),we have Jackson... and team is on the upswing with confidence. So, as we talk our way through this mess, the glass really is half full. We have lots of holes to fill, maybe too many for one year (I always said it would take 3 years to rebuild and the 4th to have a hope for dominance.) But I wouldn't trade with any other group of fans in the NFCW...your thoughts?
    Jim Thomas: There's no doubt that having a quarterback you can build on (Bradford) give you a chance. But I think San Francisco has better overall talent than the Rams. If they get a QB in free agency (or via trade) that can play, I still think they become the league favorite. Pete Carroll actually did a decent job with Seattle, but even with their division title, I still think they are a declining team. Arizona has been losing some of the players that got them to the Super Bowl a couple years ago, but not unlike SF, if you get a "real" QB throwing passes to Fitzgerald, all of a sudden they become more legit.

Dylan_James77: Thanks as always Jim for answering our questions.

Assuming that free agency doesn't begin until after the draft, how significant will the changes be to the Rams draft plans?
    Jim Thomas: Interesting question. Devaney told me earlier that it wouldn't change anything. That they've still got to draft based on value, and that only in the case where you have a couple (or a few players) bunched with similar grades to you tilt for need. In most years, the Rams have signed a couple of starters prior to the start of the draft _ last year it was DT (Robbins) and OLB (Diggs). So if anything, I think it makes the Rams more wide open in the draft, and more likely to go in a variety of directions.

STLsportsfan: Have the Rams shown much interest in ANY of the Illini Big 3 for the draft? The Rams D-Line by adding DT Corey Liuget would be incredible inside with Fred Robbins. The Rams have no quality youth at DT. At DE the Rams have Chris Long, James Hall, Selvie, Ah You and Sims who all besides Hall are young and productive. A young pass rushing DT is a BIG need.

Martez Wilson would be an outstanding outside linebacker, even though he was used in the middle at UofI. His 4.5 40 showed his speed and he HITS.

The best back in the entire draft might be Mikel LeShoure. He could be better than Rashard Mendenhall in Pittsburgh.

Why no Illini love for the Southwestern Illinois Rams?
    Jim Thomas: I think they like Liuget and he's on the radar at least for consideration at No. 14 overall. Not sure how they feel about the other two.

Erin: I had asked this question last week and it seemed to irritate you and you didn't answer it. But, I'm just curious..maybe there's not an answer. If we lose football for an entire year, how do they determine draft order in 2012? Would Carolina get the first overall pick again and the Rams get the 14th pick? Or would they use a 5 or 10-year rolling average to determine draft order? Thanks.
    Jim Thomas: It didn't irritate me. It amused me. I don't think anyone in the league is worried about that just yet.

Dale F: I curious as to whether psl owners have the legal right to ask for a refund for their psls.....we as fans have been abused over and over again and apparently the only thing that both the players and owners really care about is MONEY....perhaps if the psls owners across the nation could band together and demand money back from these greedly self serving folks it may make a difference......we were promised the right to buy a ticket for 30 years with that psl......as of now.....that contract is worthless.....your thoughts
    Jim Thomas: Well, I guess it's only worthless if games aren't being played, and as bleak as things might look right now we're still a long ways away from that. But believe me, I feel your pain, and if I was a PSL holder (actually, my family had Rams PSLs for about the first 10 years of their time in Stl), I sure wouldn't be rushing to send in my renewal money.

mars: Hey JT: Let's say the NFL doesn't play all or parts of the 2011 season. Do you think it will create the same reaction we saw in baseball and/or hockey? It took baseball YEARS to bring fans back to the seats, and to the TV. And I think hockey is still somewhat recovering, especially in TV ratings. Do you think fans will do the same when football does return, if games are missed?

My gut feeling? No. I don't think it would have near the impact as the other sports. I say this with some shame, but I know I'll "be back". I know I'm not going anywhere. I would be right there when they resumed. And I suppose I am one of the reasons they CAN "strike" or "lock out", huh?

What do YOU think?
    Jim Thomas: Sure there will be a backlash, I think particularly in terms of ticket sales and season-ticket renewals. But it seems eventually, the fans' love of the game takes over.

Vince G: Hi Jim,

Are the Rams planning any new throwback uniforms for next season? As a lifelong Rams fans, the 50's gold jerseys and/or the 60's blue & white combo would be a welcome addition to 99 uni's.
    Jim Thomas: Once you get approval for a certain style of throwbacks, I think those are the only throwbacks you can wear for like a 5-year period. So the Rams still have time left where they can only use the '99 throwbacks.

4Rams4Life: Did Bradford ever get a playbook?
    Jim Thomas: There still isn't a complete playbook put together; but it believe Bradford got some, uh, material.

Frank C.: Jim,

I'm trying to get ahold of Bob Wallace formly with the Rams, I sent you e-mail and you didn't respond. Please let me know how to contact him. thanks
    Jim Thomas: I thought you did get the e-mail, didn't you?

misterbluesky: The Rams are trying to lure this longtime season ticket holder back. There has been no REAL committment from Kroenke, and this little dance the owners and players are doing is driving me away. I'm starting to lose interest. What are the chances that we have eight blackouts next season?
    Jim Thomas: Well, I would think hiring Josh McDaniels, who didn't come cheaply, shows some commitment. But believe me, I do get your points. Overall, Kroenke has been quiet. (Of course, we haven't had free agency yet.) The decertification/lockout is something that I think a lot of us think could've been avoided, and the Rams need to move tickets. So the timing couldn't have been worse from an STL perspective.

Dlloyd10: Hey Jim,

Love the chats. Assuming in one way or another Free agency happens. Who do you think the Rams would most likely make a big splash with if they did.

Thanks, Dennis
    Jim Thomas: Well, you've got to look at the same positions of need that they would be addressing in the draft _ WR, DL, S, CB, OLB, OG (which I think I may have left out as a need in an earlier post!) But right now, we're still in limbo as to whether it will be free agency for players with 4 years experience or those with 6 years experience. I think there's no doubt had the CBA been extended without a decertification/lockout that we would've gone back to 4-year free agency and there were some good names on that list. But I think now that the CBA has expired _ and under a scenario where the normal offseason stuff continues (free agency, trades, offseason conditioning, OTAs, etc.) while the legal process sorts itself out _ that we're more likely to see a 6-year free agency. And that would take players such as DT Barry Cofield, DT Brandon Mebane, or WRs Braylon Edwards, Malcom Floyd, Santonio Holmes, and Braylon Edwards _ to name a few _ off the market as unrestricted free agents.

Football Genius: Hey Jim, If a vote would have been taken of all the players, how many of the roughly 2000 would have voted to strike? Your best guess.
    Jim Thomas: Well, all of the teams held votes during the season to decertify. So I don't know what the percentage was, but I think in most cases the team votes were unanimous or close to unanimous to give the NFLPA the right to decertify.

Big Thirsty: Can the Rams be a realistic player in the Nmamdi Free agent Sweepstakes?
    Jim Thomas: The Rams already have three players who count more than $10 million against the cap in 2011 in Sam Bradford, Chris Long, and Jason Smith. They have a fourth player who is at $9 million-plus in Steven Jackson. So I don't think they will be looking to add a fifth in Nmandi.

Big Thirsty: How interested are the Rams in Julio Jones?
    Jim Thomas: I think they really, really like the guy. And what's not to like, save for a few drops and a foot injury that he is expected to make a full recovery from?

Big Thirsty: Is DE Sam Acho on the rams radar?
    Jim Thomas: Yes. I know at the very least, he talked to the Rams at the combine. With that I must go. I'll be at the owners meetings next week in New Orleans, and I'm not sure if we'll be able to do the chat on Tuesday. We may have to push it back to Wednesday or Thursday. So please stay tuned.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Jim Thomas Live Chat Transcript - March 15

In 2009, the last year with a salary cap, the cap was $128 million. I think it's safe to assume _ if there is a cap _ that it will be bigger than $128 million in 2011.
    Normally I'd agree, but I was listening to Peter King and Ross Tucker on Sirius NFL Radio this morning, and King mentioned (if I'm remembering this right) that the owner's proposed cap for 2011 would have been somewhere in the $116-118 range. The total number was higher, but it included things like player benefits. So it'll be interesting to see where it lands.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Re: Jim Thomas Live Chat Transcript - March 15

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Normally I'd agree, but I was listening to Peter King and Ross Tucker on Sirius NFL Radio this morning, and King mentioned (if I'm remembering this right) that the owner's proposed cap for 2011 would have been somewhere in the $116-118 range. The total number was higher, but it included things like player benefits. So it'll be interesting to see where it lands.
    If you are correct, my opinion on where the Rams sit with regard to Salary cap is going to flip 180 degrees. We would not have much room to work with. I wonder if there is a breakdown for all the players and how much they count against the cap.