r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Jim Thomas Live - Jan 24

Jim Thomas Live

Rams writer Jim Thomas goes one-on-one with readers at 1 p.m. Tuesday in a live chat.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012

comments & answers

jake-the-fake: Well, Jim, I think it has become more and more clear that the NFL doesn't give a you-know-what about St. Louis and its fans. First of all, they allow Filthy Rich White Guy Club member Stan Kroenke to side-step league rules and cherry pick the Rams from Shahid Khan; And now, instead of doing everything possible to get the fans in STL excited about his team, Kroenke ships three home games to London. What a joke. Thanks Stan!

(Sorry, I guess there was no question there. Just needed to vent.)

Jim Thomas: And vent you did.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

virginiatom: Jim, no way can Jeff Fisher be happy Kronke's decision to play 3 home games in London, and for someone who just wants to win, Kronke has hurt them with this. Taking a home game and adding a long travel game with time zone issues does not help the Rams in their efforts to win, nor does it help with Fisher in charge to play winning football before the loyal St Louis fans. I get it for the money part, but I don't get it from the competitive angle.

Jim Thomas: VT, Fisher has 9 road games a year for his first 3 years as Rams coach.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

virginiatom: Jim, knowing Fisher's style, would you say he is more likely to go for a playmaker in this year's draft or build the offensive or defensive lines?

Jim Thomas: Well, I'm sure he'd like to do all of the above, or at least as much of the above as possible. But if you're talking about the No. 2 overall pick, well it still seems like the best options are 1.) WR Blackmon; 2.) OT Kalil; 3.) trade down a few spots.

Encino: During the playoffs I watched teams such as New England, San Francisco and others get considerable offensive production out of their tight ends. The Rams, on the other hand, have invisible tight ends. Do you think this will change in 2012?

Jim Thomas: Hopefully, the Rams can get more out of Lance Kendricks, who obviously didn't live up to his preseason promise during the regular season. As for the rest of the group, I can't even say for sure at this point that any of them will be back in 2012.

Ess Jay: Jim,

Why cut Jason Smith? To wit: He's solid when he's been healthy. The Rams would save $2.5 million if they cut Smith -- in other words, less than it would cost to get a free-agent right tackle (or guard if they move Dahl). So unless they draft someone, which would probably mean expending a top-100 pick that could be used to fill another hole, they're actually spending money more to cut Smith. Why not see if he can respond to different coaching?

Jim Thomas: I see your point. And if Smith were another year further along in his contract the cap savings would be much greater with his release. But I think you can make a case for at least bringing him into camp and see what happens. Now that doesn't mean you don't draft an offensive lineman somewhere along the line.

ramfanbak: Jim I have been a ram fan since early sixtys. really enjoyed seeing the 40 whinners losing to the giants. wish it was the rams beating them. do you think fish can turn this team around and be winners again? soon.

Jim Thomas: Sure. It shouldn't be hard to top 2-14. But in terms of being a true playoff contender, that may take a couple of years.

Mike B: Thoughts on the staff so far?

McGinnis, Boudreau, Waufle, Schotty, Greg Williams..quite the staff, no?

Jim Thomas: No lack of experience, is there?

Nerorising: In your personal opinion do you believe that Mr. Kroenke looks similar to Gomez Addams?

Jim Thomas: Never thought of it that way. I'll have to give that one some thought.

Youngblood: Hi Jim,

Very happy to hear Dave McGinnist will be a part of our coaching staff as an Assistant Head Coach. Do you know if he is also taking over coaching the
    Linebackers as well? I have not seen a specification as of yet if he is also coaching a position. Thanks for the chats!

Jim Thomas: Not sure yet. Although I do notice there has yet to be a linebackers coach, at least that I'm aware of.

desousa209: Hey Jim,

Thanks for you time! It was said that the hiring between Schotty and Hue was a very close one. Have you heard why Fisher choose Brian. If not why do you think he might have gotten the OC job over Hue?? Also if we trade the number 2 pick who would you guess would be our trade partner??

Jim Thomas: I don't really know. Jackson's style may have been a little too volatile. And he has kind of hopped around a lot over his career. But I don't know what led to Fisher's decision.
    No guess on trade partner. But there's a lot of teams that need quarterbacks.

lew jr: Thank you for the chats as always Mr. Thomas,

My question is about the Shottenheimer hire as OC.

From what I have read in different places he runs an Air Coryell type system. I admit I dont know much past the West Coast system. But is it true that this system is close to what McDaniels ran last year and is it close enough (ie: terms and routes) to not consider it yet another new offense for Bradford?

Also when teams hire QB coaches do those guys usually have a background in the system the team runs or is their job more for passing technique?

Jim Thomas: I was just on a conference call with Schottenheimer. And he made the point that there are only so many plays and to a certain degree everyone runs a lot of similar plays. I mean, there are only so many routes. So a lot of it is terminology and Schottenheimer said the system he runs features fewer numbers these days _ the so-called digit system of Air Coryell _ and more concepts. So maybe it won't be that big of a leap.

chaban: Jim, thank you for taking questions during this chaotic time. First, at this point there have been a lot of names bandied about that have been interviewed, or is interested, or that the Rams have scheduled to meet, but who have they actually hired for coaches outside of the HC, the DC, and the OC, and in what capacity are these guys hired?

2.Did Sam have any say in the OC pick - like did he look at what each OC brought to the table and say, "I would feel more comfortable in this system or that one?"

3. Lastly, any word on a GM yet and can the Rams do business with players they might want to resign w/o a GM, specifically Lloyd?

Jim Thomas: 1.) Mike Waufel was wearing Rams gear at the Senior Bowl practice Tuesday morning, so I guess that's a pretty good hint that he's going to be the new offensive line coach. Looks like Paul Boudreau is in as o-line coach, Rob Boras as tight ends coach, and Tim Walton (I think as asst. defensive coordinator passing game.) Also Dave McGinnis will be assistant head coach. Gregg Willliams, the new defensive coordinator, said on a conference call that his son Blake is coming in _ possibly to coach or help coach linebackers.

2.) I'm sure Bradford had no input. That's not how it works.

3.) The Rams are re-starting the interviewing process over the weekend. Joey Clinkscales (Jets) and Steve Keim (Cardinals) will be among those getting interviews. I hear good things about both those guys.

I've got to go to Senior Bowl practice. The South squad is up. I'm sorry this is so brief this week, but I'll try to make up for it next week.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Re: Jim Thomas Live - Jan 24

Wow Jim way to not really give us ANY info. Only thing I understood is Stan does look like Gomez

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    Wow Jim way to not really give us ANY info. Only thing I understood is Stan does look like Gomez
    Jim was non-committal with his answer to that question too!

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I've got a question for someone more knowledgeable than myself: What might one do in the Personnel world to distinguish themselves as a "rising star" or as Jim Thomas says "I hear good things about"..I guess my issue is that neither Arizona nor NYJ (or Dolphins) cross me as organizations that have found a lot of diamonds in the rough or had fantastic drafts etc.

It's such a collective effort on the part of the scouts, GM, coaches, scheme and so on that I can't imagine what one might do to show promise in the middle of a mediocre franchise.