r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Jim Thomas Live - January 12, 2010

Jim Thomas Live

Rams writer Jim Thomas goes one-on-one with readers at 1 p.m. Tuesday in a live chat.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 01:00 PM CST

Bill H.: Jim: Do you believe that it will really make much difference who the Rams draft numero uno for the near term, if they don't make significant improvements overall this coming year. The younger players may start developing collective attention deficit disorder, no matter who is drafted and start looking for the lifeboats to abandon the sinking ship. I'd hate to think they were on the cusp of a turnaround only to have the bad taste of another abysmal year taint their collective psyche. I'm sorry, was this more than one question.
    Jim Thomas: I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it's clear the Rams need more than one player _ even the first pick in the draft _ to turn this around. And there's no doubt the young players on the roster need to start experiencing success.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lou Wappel: Have you heard anything about who the Rams will designate as their franchise player? Also, do you think Alex Barron will be back with the Rams? Thanks Jim
    Jim Thomas: The Rams have about a month and a half before they must declare their franchise player. And keep in mind, if it stays an uncapped year, they get two "tags" this offseason _ a franchise and a transition tag; or two transition tags. As for Barron, I think he has a better chance of staying if it's an uncapped year and the Rams can tender him to a one-year deal as a restricted free agent. (Barron is one of those "limbo" players who is restricted in an uncapped year, but unrestricted in a capped year.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Da Rams!: Hi Jim. Do you see the Rams going for back-up RB in the draft? Leon Washington's (NY Jets) contract is up and he would be a great pick-up for the Rams to lighten Jackson's workload. Had he not gotten injured, Washington would have been starting for the Jets or another team next season. Washington and Jackson could both share the load of carries next season. And based off of how much cap space the Rams have and the tremendous needs going into the draft it would be wise to put the money where they can get the most benefit.
    Jim Thomas: Washington makes a lot of sense, but he's one of those "limbo" players. In an uncapped year, he's a restricted free agent as opposed to unrestricted, which makes him tougher to sign.

Coach J: Jim, I was hoping New England may be interested in the top pick? I see in addition to their number 1 they have a few extra number 2's to play with. The Rams would have the opportunity to address several positions early in the draft and still pick a QB from what appears to be a pretty equal group. Depending upon how many choices Suh would command, the Rams may be able to come away from the draft with say 4-5 players in the top 65 for the same money as the number 1 in the draft. Probably dreaming, but we need players somehow.
    Jim Thomas: I'm not sure how Suh would project as a 3-4 nose tackle, so I don't know how the Patriots would have interest, unless they see him as a 3-4 end.

Da Rams!: This years draft seems to have a lot of depth at DE and DT. Do you see the Rams drafting mostly defensive players this year?
    Jim Thomas: Remember now, there's going to be nearly two months of the free agency and trading period prior to the draft, so what the Rams do there will shape how they approach the draft. But after scoring only 175 points this season, I think the Rams need to at least attempt a serious upgrade at the skill positions on offense, be it quarterback, WR, TE, backup running back _ all of the above, or some of the above.

Thomas: Hey Jim;
    This is probably a long aways scenario, and a random question at that, but lets say some team did move to LA. Do the Rams get out of the NFC West, especially given their lack of proximity to that area?
    Thanks,
    Thomas
    Jim Thomas: If you're going strictly be geography, it wouldn't make much sense to keep the Rams in the West under that scenario, and it might be something the league would address.

Dan: Which of the receivers from this years roster do you feel the rams will bring back? It seems likely that they will at least sign one veteran wideout in free agency and draft one. So i guess that leaves 4 or 5 slots open at the most depending on the draft/free agency.
    Jim Thomas: All of the receivers are under contract with the Rams, at least through 2010, except for Ruvell Martin and Jordan Kent. So you have Danny Amendola, Donnie Avery, Keenan Burton, Brooks Foster, Brandon Gibson, and Laurent Robinson all in the mix. That's six legit roster candidates. Add a receiver to be named later to the mix, be it via free agency, trade, or the draft, and you have seven receivers for probably five spots. Obviously, Foster is behind the others because he basically missed all season (hurt in the preseason opener vs. Jets). And the health of others also factors into the competition with Robinson and Burton coming off surgeries.

bobsam: JT: I don't see any of the QBs coming out of college this year being sure thing difference makers at the pro level. Has Phil Bradley gotten enough experience with the Jets that he can be considered as a full-time QB? Also do you like any of the following as potential stopgap QBs: Carr, Edwards, Feeley, Losman, S. Hill?
    What do you think of these first three draft picks for the Rams - Suh DT, Kindle OLB, Gerhardt RB?
    Any chance of getting either Early Doucett or Steve Breaston from the Cards?
    Jim Thomas: None of those QBs you name do anything for me. And I'm guessing you mean Brad Smith (and not Phil Bradley). Smith rarely throws the ball in New York _ he's a wide receiver who does some wildcat stuff. I don't think Doucet and Breaston are going anywhere.

jim.greenwald: Jim will we go QB in the second round? I got through to talk to Gil Brandt on Sirrius Sat and he offered an intersting twist, he talked about a quality OLineman in the second round
    Jim Thomas: It's impossible to say at this point where the Rams go in the second round. I think we're all assuming if the Rams go Suh in Round 1, they will go offense in Round 2. But again, we must factor in what precedes the draft during the free agency/trade period. As for the offensive line, I think the Rams are fine on the interior (guards and center), but I wonder about tackle, what with Jason Smith's injury problems as a rookie (knee and concussion), and Alex Barron's expired contract.

Ram-o-Rama: Jim, If we let Baron go as a free agent, would we get any additional picks for him leaving?
    Jim Thomas: If he's restricted, the Rams would get no worse than a first-rounder, which was his original draft position. (The Rams could also work out a trade for less.) If he's unrestricted, then it depends on the complex compensatory draft pick formula, which factors in other free agents signed or lost. And if that's the case, the highest compensation the Rams could get would be a third-rounder, I believe.

PS Rams Fan: What is your 2010 offensive line look like?

Do the Rams like what Colt McCoy offers now that he might be a 3rd round pick?
    Jim Thomas: LT Jason Smith, LG Jacob Bell, C Jason Brown, RG Setterstrom/Greco, RT To be determined
    I don't know how the Rams feel about McCoy. I don't know how you could pass on him if for some reason, which I find doubtful, that he's available in the top of the third.

Kurt Hardley: What is the current status of Laurent Robinson and will he return next year as a starter?
    Jim Thomas: Many of the injured Rams were around a week ago Monday, for the season-ending team meetings, etc. I talked to several of them and did a story about them. But Robinson left before I could talk to him. But I believe his rehab's on track, he's under contract for next season with the Rams, and I see no reason why he wouldn't open camp as a starter.

Rams fan in Sacramento: Thanks for these chats Jim. It seems to me that we cannot keep giving these huge contracts to lineman without screwing up our cap situation. That said, it doesn't make sense to take someone with the first pick that doesn't have the talent that justifies it. As much as Suh fills a need, is Jimmy Clausen really not worth the first pick? We need a quarterback, he is very skilled and plays in a pro-style offense, and if you have to pay someone an obscene amount of money, it makes more sense for it to be your most important position.

Any chance the Rams might see it that way, or try to trade down and pick up Clausen with a slightly lower pick?
    Jim Thomas: I think there are at least some in the Rams personnel dept. who like Clausen. I just can't see how you justify taking him at No. 1 overall. I'll repeat what I mentioned last week, if he were truly a franchise-style QB, wouldn't the Irish have finished better than 6-6?

nick: Will Spags and/or the GM be under pressure with their job to improve the Rams record next year, or will Ownership be patient and allow the Rams to improved through the draft? Improving through the draft could take 2-4 more years. Delaney does seem to pick up decent players from other teams.
    Jim Thomas: Interesting question. I know this much, another 1-15 or 2-14 won't sit well with anybody.

JD Clark: Jim,

Do the Rams have any players with decent trade value other than SJax and the few core young players we have? We seem to have a lot of #3 and #4 type receivers and a possible glut of DTs who are all similar if Suh is drafted. Might we see something happen before the draft?. Thanks

JD
    Jim Thomas: Not much in the way of trade value. Steven Jackson is staying put. Bulger? Most of the other vets already have been pared from the roster.

JD Clark: JIM,

I've heard that Philly will turn their roster over in the offseason, and if so, will the Rams be interested in those players? Kevin Curtis? Vick? McNabb?, etc. Also, do you think the Rams will trade draft picks for players or do they value them too much?

Thank you,

JD
    Jim Thomas: Since Spags spent so many years with the Eagles, their roster also bears watching. I think there has been some discussion of Vick. I guess it's possible the Rams would give up picks for the right player, particularly if it's an uncapped year, meaning there are many more restricted free agents than usual.

4thandJuan: Jim,

A year ago, Chip Rosenbloom was adamant about not having Michael Vick on the Rams. Why, all of a sudden, is there so much chatter about Vick coming to St. Louis? Has Rosenbloom changed his mind?
    Jim Thomas: Geez, you'll have to refresh my memory on that one. I don't recall Rosenbloom coming out adamantly against Vick. Even if that was the case, I'll answer it this way: Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Tom in SF: Hi Jim,

Thank you as always for the chat.

Have you ever discussed with Devaney what is his philosophy is regarding the practice squad? For example, does he view it as, (1), a true developmental squad for players with intriguing skills but needing polish/experience/refinement, or, (2), a squad for fielding particular types of players that are required for the scout team purposes (say, keeping a tall physical WR to mimic the Cardinals WRs, or, say, keeping a nose tackle for when the Rams face a 3-4 defense), or, (3), keeping the single best player at each position from training camp that didn't make the final 53-man roster as a hedge against injuries because they already know the schemes? I would be interested in knowing your thoughts on the Ram's scout team player utilization.
    Jim Thomas: I think all of those factors are involved. The Rams are looking for developmental players that possibly can be moved up to the activie roster. This happened a lot: LB K.C. Asiodu, LB Dominic Douglas, DT Leger Douzable, RB Chris Ogbonnaya, WR/CB Cord Parks, and OT Eric Young all began the season on the practice squad before getting promoted. But roster balance, in terms of having enough players to run a practice also figures in. For example, with only five receivers on the active roster most of the year, the Rams needed an extra WR or two on the practice squad much of the year to help run the scout team. With a beefed up pro personnel department, headed by Mike Williams, I think the Rams were better equipped to find practice squad candidates than they've been in the past.

JohnnyN: Hey JT,
    Hope 2010 is treating you well...

I watched the Pats get hammered on Sunday (LOVED it) and saw that Laurence Maroney got benched (most likely) when he couldn't make a blitz pickup that lead to a sack on the first NE offensive series.
    I know he has been in and out of Belichick's doghouse throughout the past few seasons and I am wondering if he is available. I think the Rams signing him, if possible, would be a good move. He's a St Louisan, talented, young, and probably realtively inexpensive. He would definitely be an upgrade for the backup RB role and under Jackson's tutelage he could become a force. I'm not saying this would be Felix Jones-Marion Barber II, but whaddya think...Thanks. John.
    Jim Thomas: Yeah, I don't think too many tears were shed in these parts on the Patriots demise. Looks like the window is closing on that franchise's tenure as an elite franchise. Maroney has one year left on his current Patriots contract, and he's due to make a modest $825,000 next season. He'd be an obvious upgrade over anything the Rams currently have behind Jackson on the roster.

Rob Williams: Hey Jim. Are you aware if the Rams are looking at a trade for any of the Eagles' three QBs? Personally, I'm hoping Vick isn't a consideration but, McNabb or Kolb, given Schurmer's connection and running the same offense...
    Jim Thomas: To my knowledge, Andy Reid seems pretty adamant about McNabb coming back. Kolb still looks like the Eagles' QB of the future. So that, uh, leaves Vick.

butsir@columbus.rr.com: Good morning, Jim.
    With all of the injuries suffered by our OL and the uncertainty surrounding Barron, i.e., does Coach S. really want him back, do you see the Rams drafting an OL in the third or later round?
    In free agency, is it smart for the Rams to go after the best free agent available or to sign by need?
    Thanks.

don in columbus
    Jim Thomas: Don't really know where Spags stands on Barron. I guess we're about to find out, eh? Anyway, in free agency, you have to sign by need, but you have to be disciplined. Once the top players at a position of need, you can't reach (and spend) for just a warm body.

Jim S.: Jim, thanks for these chats! My question is about Mr. Suh. I dont really watch a lot of college football, so i haven't seen Suh play, or any of the other top players either, for that matter. There is a ton of hype about Suh, and i wonder if it's hype or substance. A few years ago Glen Dorsey was hyped as the second coming of Warren Sapp. While the jury is still out on Dorsey, for someone who was hyped as such, you would expect an immediate impact player. Does Suh fit the same profile? How do the skill sets of Dorsey(then) compare to Suh (now), and would Suh still be the consensus #1 pick if you remove the game against Texas? Thanks for everything this trying year!!
    Jim Thomas: Great question. All of the top draft prospects do seem to get hyped and overhyped. Dorsey certainly was one of them. I remember Jim Haslett loved the guy. But he hasn't done much in KC, even though he is playing out of position as a 3-4 DE. Dorsey was kind of beat up coming out of college; he'd had some injury issues. I'm not aware of any with Suh. And rarely has a defensive lineman, particularly an interior defensive lineman, had the kind of game that Suh did against Texas in the Big 12 title game. Maybe he wouldn't be the consensus No. 1 without that game, but the fact is it happened. Players make their reputations in the big games. But in the NFL, effective DTs don't always show up big on the stat sheet. Suh could post five or six sacks for the Rams next season _ which actually is a good amount for a DT _ and fans might say: Is that it?

ihtnep: Hi Jim, thanks for the chats.

I just read The Blind Side. Great story. I seem to remember Michael Oher briefly mentioned pre-draft, but don't know what the Rams thought of him. I don't think Smith was a terrible move, but were the Rams considering Oher at all? His performance this year wasn't surprising at all after reading his story.
    Jim Thomas: I interviewed Oher last season and wrote a story about him for the P-D and Stltoday.com. The Rams thought enough of Oher, that he was brought into Rams Park for a pre-draft visit. Obviously, at the end of the day it came down to Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe. I think there were questions about Oher's motor.

Joey D: Thanks for sticking with us.
    Were the Rams truly upset to lose out on Shonn Greene in last years draft, or has that been blown out of proportion? Are their any priority free agents beyond Atogwe on the Rams that they really will work on re-signing?
    Jim Thomas: I don't know for sure, but I believe the Rams were targeting Greene in the third round. The Rams had planned an individual workout with Greene, but it was cancelled because of scheduling problems. I was told that RB coach Sylvester Croom really liked Greene, comparing him to a modern day Natrone Means, the running back on San Diego's 1994 AFC championship squad. The Jets certainly must have thought the Rams were interested, because they traded up (with Detroit) just ahead of the Rams to take Greene at the start of the third round.

nortzman: Jim;

Thanks for taking my question, which is: Will the Rams use another high draft pick go to an impact WR, or will a veteran be picked up in free agency?
    Jim Thomas: Too early to tell.

paceram: Do you think the Rams will keep the top pick and select Suh or do you think they will try to trade down and take Claussen (or Bradford)? And, in the recent past it seemed to be very difficult to trade down from the top pick but do you think since Suh is supposed to be the best DT (possibly the best Defensive Player) to come out in years that this year could be the exception and the Rams actually will get a number of offers for their pick?
    Jim Thomas: I'm thinking that since there's another highly-rated DT projected as a potential top 5 pick, Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy, it might make teams less likely to want to trade up for Suh. In other words, McCoy would be seen as a very nice "consolation prize."

djjr11854: Jim,

As always thanks for taking time to answer our questions.

Do you think there would be any chance that Bulger might be prone to rework his contract? I know he's not what he used to be, but it was obvious from the play of both Boller and Null, he is still the best option. I think drafting a QB and keeping Bulger as the starter and mentor might be the best thing for the organization.
    Jim Thomas: I guess it's possible. But if you're Bulger and the organization wants to whack your base salary, aren't you just as likely to say, if that's the case, just trade me or release me and I'll go somewhere else. And would Bulger be willing to do that and stay here knowing he's just keeping a seat warm for the next Rams starting QB?

RAMBLE: Why is any prediction of 6 wins or so next year reasonable? Seems to me that 1 or 2 again should be the expectation.

Most experts/writers/fans expect improvement. But, in every city, they do too. And all teams will draft and all teams will sign free agents. And all teams can't improve. So, why us?

And teams like the Lions have some basis for optimism. They have last year's #1 draft choice at QB in Stafford coming back. Just what do we have in the way of real top flight "new" or "improving" players? I mean the kind that fans in other cities would agree.

Last season, some national publication was saying the Rams had a good shot at 0-16. That was laugable to us. But, it was a sound analysis.
    Jim Thomas: I guess there's a sense that "it can't get any worse," a belief that the young players will continue to develop, that the team's bad run of injuries over the last few years will abate, and that a much easier schedule on paper will help.

Bobby: Good afternoon and as always, thank you for your time.

So after the BCS championship game, where do you think Colt McCoys stock really lies with the Rams and the rest of the league? Do you think assuming he is there in the 2nd round, the rams take him? Devaney was on with Carriker and Ramsey last week and he said that when they look at a QB, they will look at what hes done, winning wise. Sounds like Colt would fit that mold, plus his leadership and accuracy (even in a spread offense, still where the balls are placed is key).

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on hopefully the next Rams QB.

Thanks,
    Bobby
    Jim Thomas: Well, it certainly didn't help McCoy. I think there were questions about his relative lack of size to begin with and how that might translate into durability in the NFL. If the Rams truly are interested, I think it helped them, because it makes McCoy more likely to be around at the top of the second.

Tackleberry: Jim,

I know this isn't a new theme in the NFL, but if you notice all four teams that advanced this past weekend in the play-offs they all utilize at least two running backs. Do you think watching that trend grow puts more emphasis on the need to secure a legit 3rd down/change-of-pace back for the Rams? As opposed to filing in street free agents to compete for the #2 spot.
    Jim Thomas: It's hard not to notice. But I think Billy Devaney realized the team needs a better option behind Jackson than what they have long before the playoff games.

Doug: Will the Central Michigan QB be available at the top of round 2? If so, would he be a pick of value at that point for the Rams?
    Jim Thomas: I believe so. But I don't think he's regarded that highly.

stock broker: Jim --

Anyway we could trade SJ39 to a team for possibly their first and second round picks? And also trade down out of the number one spot to a team in for a swap of their number one pick and possibly a second or third as well?

By doing that, We would essentially have 2 first round picks, as many as 3 second round pics and perhaps 3 third round picks as well. --With around 8 picks in the first three rounds we could pick up a qb, rb, wr, olb, dt, de, ot, te...

To me, this makes sense if it can be done... what are your thoughts?
    Jim Thomas: Devaney seems as clear as he can be on this issues: He's not trading Jackson.

superfan24: Jim,
    Even how poorly the Rams played this season, I believe that they can have a legit chance at the NFC west with Seattle rebuilding, the inconsistent 49er's, and if Kurt retires the Rams saw how bad the Cardinals are with Leinart. Do you believe the Rams can be contenders with a decent off season?
    Jim Thomas: If Kurt retires, the Cardinals come back to the pack. But I think the Rams would need a TREMENDOUS offseason to become division contenders in 2010.

NotMyHome: JT, In order which was most astonishing to you:
    (a) Mark McGwire using steriods
    (b) The Rams winning a game in 2009
    (c) Pete Carroll leaving USC for the Seahawks
    (d) Sarah Palin joining Fox News
    Jim Thomas: Pete Carroll leaving USC for the Seahawks. Maybe he needs the money.

Tom: Why aren't any post dispatch writers even considering the possibility of drafing a quarterback? Clausen's college numbers are some of the most impressive ever seen coming out of college.
    Jim Thomas: To my knowledge I think we'd all like to see the Rams take a QB. Just not with the No. 1 overall pick.

tom: Hi Jim,

Thanks for these chats I look forward to them every week!! Do you think there will be any changes to the coaching staff, i.e. with Giants getting rid of DL Coach and D Coordinator? Since Spags worked with them in the past.

Thanks, Tom
    Jim Thomas: I see minimal changes on the staff. I think Spags is happy with Brendon Daly as d-line coach.

HomeRunHomer: Jim, you are now in charge of the Rams and just like last season there are more holes than can be filled in one off season moves. What are your top 3 items that you would focus on this off season?
    Jim Thomas: Can I give you 4? Quarterback, WR, backup running back, defensive line

Jumbo J: Hey Jim,

I have heard Devaney say that they will do their due dilligence on anyone who has had any kind of issue or mistake while in college. Do you know if that includes Drunk Driving? I realize that is a very sore subject with a lot of fans, especially considering what happened with LL.

While researching prospects, I am finding more and more college kids have been arrested for DUI/DWI than I expected. Kyle Calloway was one that I had never heard of.
    Jim Thomas: The Rams drafted a corner last year, Bradley Fletcher, who had a DUI.

Peter J.: Thanks for doing these chats, they make it a bit easier to help keep the blood pressure down....

According to the Rams FO they are doing evaluations on all of the players on the roster. When do you think we will begin to see some movement regarind people getting cut, resigned, etc...? Are there any moves that you see as likely?

On another note, I know green bay has the cheese hats and to that end I have worn my Toasted Ravioli hat to all of the Rams games this season. Do you think we could make toasted ravioli hat's our "cheese head"?
    Jim Thomas: Since the so-called "league year" doesn't begin until March 5 (the free agency/trade period), I don't think will see much in the way of players being cut or re-signed until near the end of February.
    Being an STL native, I'd be all for the popularization (is that a word?) of the Toasted Ravioli head.

Ed C: Jim,

What happened to Randy McMichael? I thought he was great pickup when we signed him. Was he overrated? Did his skills diminish during tenure here? Oe did he just not fit in the West Coast offense? Or some combination of the above.
    Jim Thomas: McMichael wasn't terrible. But his hands and athleticism were not what I expected when he came here. Of course, he was also victimized by everything else that has hurt this team over the past few years, subpar talent on offense and porous defense.

Steve: Jim,

Some speculation on Philly Inquirer on Rams' interest in Kolb. Seems that would make sense: a young quarterback who has had some success in a limited role. Think they could get it done with a 2nd and 5th or something along those lines. I would mind seeing them come out of this draft with Suh and Kolb as starters.
    Jim Thomas: I just have a hard time thinking the Eagles would part ways with Kolb.

midnighter67: Warner in the Hall is wearing blue & gold or red & white?
    Jim Thomas: Gotta be Blue & Gold, that's where he won a Super Bowl, was named league MVP twice. Made his name in the NFL. (But if he wins a Super Bowl for the Cardinals, it could be a close call.)

Rick: Do you think the Rams will seriously look at Michael Vick if he becomes available?
    Jim Thomas: I'm thinking yes.

Leagueman: If asked back, do you think Little will return?
    Jim Thomas: Depends on if the possible Panthers interest turns out to be legit.

Melvin Zuhler: Donnie Avery or Dejean Jackson. Why did the Rams like Donnie over Dejean?
    Jim Thomas: I don't know that the Rams will ever talk about this publicly, but they had character concerns about Jackson.

daveok: In name-only and not organization/roster..Which team would you prefer was in St. Louis? The Rams or the Big Red? Gosh I love their uniforms. Watch them on Sunday made me nostalgic.
    Jim Thomas: The Rams have a great tradition. First helmet logos. First African-American players in any U.S. major-league sports, yes, before even baseball. Championships in 3 Cities. Fearsome Foursome. I guess I'd say Rams.

Rob: In the absence of Alex Barron, will Jason Smith be an effective starting left tackle?
    Jim Thomas: Yes, but he'll struggle at times as a pass blocker, and will need a tight end or back to help chip block at times against the better pass rushers until he gets established.

Lance Rabenort: Is there a real possibility of the Rams looking at Eric Barry from Tennesee? Or is it a foregone conclusion that we'll be seing Suh play for the Rams?
    Jim Thomas: I've been wrong before, but I just can't see it. One of the few areas where the Rams are pretty good seems to be the safety position with Atogwe (assuming he's back), J. Butler and Dahl. It might make more sense if he could play corner, but I don't think that's the case.

Rams24/7: Hi Jim, love the column! Do you think the Rams will make any big time pickups in Free Agency? What do you think guys like Logan Mankins and Braylon Edwards would do for our offense? Thanks!
    Jim Thomas: Isn't Mankins a guard? I don't see a great need for a guard here. As for Edwards, I'd sure like to see the 2007 Edwards _ he was amazing as opposed to the drop-prone Edwards of '08 and to some degree '09. But keep in mind, both are what I call "limbo" players _ they are restricted free agents (as opposed to unrestricted) if it's an uncapped year.

Rams24/7: For the 2 franchise tags the Rams get this year, do you think it they would pick Atogwe and Ryan? Also how much better would the Defense be next year if they do resign Ryan and Atogwe and possibly pick up Suh?
    Jim Thomas: The Rams get 2 tags in an uncapped year, but only one of them can be a franchise. (The other would have to be a transition tag.) Ryan is a restricted free agent no matter what _ capped or uncapped year _ so the Rams wouldn't have to use a tag on him.

One of the faithful: Thanks for the time.
    I am interested in your take on this. In a year where it is obvious that the super bowl bound teams are high flying passing offenses, Are the Rams right to go back to the old school plodding along run game? Isn't it just as unsucessful to have NO passing atttack?
    Thanks,
    OoTF
    Jim Thomas: I'll just say this: It's a passing league and has been for some time.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Re: Jim Thomas Live - January 12, 2010

Ahhh... too much to read so little time!!!!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8