Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,631
    Rep Power
    167

    Jim Thomas trying to beat out Bernie in race for "worst Rams columnist" title?

    Have any of you read the complete waste-of-time article published by Jim Thomas at the PD (I'm not going to validate it by reposting here) whining about the aftermath of the termination of long-time Rams' equipment manager, Todd Hewitt?

    Let me be pefectly clear here. I feel for a guy who lost his job after several decades (this is something I have a great deal of experience with as an employment lawyer). By all accounts, he was a good employee and a good guy during his tenure with the Rams.

    My venom is not directed at Todd Hewitt.

    It is directed at Jim Thomas.

    What purpose is served by dragging this out now? I know topics are scarce with the lockout (though, last time I checked, there's still a draft just around the corner), but is this really news?

    The Rams made a statement when Hewitt was dismissed, and they have not spoken (nor will they speak) further on the matter.

    Hewitt, on the other hand, is somewhat bitter. This is not at all surprising.

    Why quote the man and expose his bitterness towards the team and, most notably, Steve Spagnuolo? All you are doing, Jim, is exposing Hewitt's worst side, while taking unfair one-sided jabs at Spagnuolo (who, again, should not and will not comment further on the subject).

    I have to question your motives. Is this simply an attempt to (in Berniesque fashion) drum up controversy? Are you angry because you lost Hewitt as an inside source? Do you have an axe to grind with Spagnuolo for some reason?

    Whatever your reason, your article was unncessary, petty and below even tabloid standard.

    Do your frickin' job and tell us who the Rams are meeting with, where the scouts are, what you're hearing about the Rams' preferences.

    Don't throw us in the middle of whatever childish vendetta you are cultivating.

    No matter how long the lockout continues, we deserve better NFL coverage than your latest piece of garbage.


  2. #2
    Alec22's Avatar
    Alec22 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    23
    Posts
    614
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Jim Thomas trying to beat out Bernie in race for "worst Rams columnist" title?

    AV, I completly agree with you on this.

  3. #3
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Jim Thomas trying to beat out Bernie in race for "worst Rams columnist" title?

    I tend to agree, as well. Right or wrong, it's done. It happened two months ago. Hewitt isn't getting his job back, and even if Spags was a tyrant to work with, this isn't news. It's gossip.

  4. #4
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,093
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Jim Thomas trying to beat out Bernie in race for "worst Rams columnist" title?

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Have any of you read the complete waste-of-time article published by Jim Thomas at the PD (I'm not going to validate it by reposting here) whining about the aftermath of the termination of long-time Rams' equipment manager, Todd Hewitt?

    Let me be pefectly clear here. I feel for a guy who lost his job after several decades (this is something I have a great deal of experience with as an employment lawyer). By all accounts, he was a good employee and a good guy during his tenure with the Rams.

    My venom is not directed at Todd Hewitt.

    It is directed at Jim Thomas.

    What purpose is served by dragging this out now? I know topics are scarce with the lockout (though, last time I checked, there's still a draft just around the corner), but is this really news?

    The Rams made a statement when Hewitt was dismissed, and they have not spoken (nor will they speak) further on the matter.

    Hewitt, on the other hand, is somewhat bitter. This is not at all surprising.

    Why quote the man and expose his bitterness towards the team and, most notably, Steve Spagnuolo? All you are doing, Jim, is exposing Hewitt's worst side, while taking unfair one-sided jabs at Spagnuolo (who, again, should not and will not comment further on the subject).

    I have to question your motives. Is this simply an attempt to (in Berniesque fashion) drum up controversy? Are you angry because you lost Hewitt as an inside source? Do you have an axe to grind with Spagnuolo for some reason?

    Whatever your reason, your article was unncessary, petty and below even tabloid standard.

    Do your frickin' job and tell us who the Rams are meeting with, where the scouts are, what you're hearing about the Rams' preferences.

    Don't throw us in the middle of whatever childish vendetta you are cultivating.

    No matter how long the lockout continues, we deserve better NFL coverage than your latest piece of garbage.
    Gotta agree with you on this one, Av. Case in point: Recently on Thomas' forum someone asked a question about the possibility of Ryan Kerrigan (DE from Purdue) going to the Rams in the first round- a distinct possibility. This was actually the second or third time a question about Kerrigan to the Rams had come up. So what does the Rams beat writer to the PD say? Something akin to "Hell if I know", or I'll try to look into that."

    Huh? The dang draft is but weeks away and he might "try to look into that?" Isn't that his job; to have a feel as to what the Rams may be thinking on a prospect who has a legitimate chance of being drafted by the team he is supposed to be following? Shouldn't he as the Rams beat writer get some answers or die trying? Ok, maybe a little melodramatic there but the point remains. Yes, I know that Billy isn't going to reveal his deepest, darkest secrets but a good investigative reporter should be able to find SOMETHING out.

    BTW the same thing happened during the regular season with the John Greco situation. Many fans wanted to know why he wasn't playing and what was going on with him. Lots of valid questions but, once again, no real attempt to get any answers.

    I was going to ask what Thomas does with all of his time, but after reading the Hewitt article I guess that answers that question.

    Hey, maybe Thomas should ask Hewitt what he thinks of the Rams draft. Maybe then we'll get some real information.

    WHAT SAY YE?

  5. #5
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,736
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Jim Thomas trying to beat out Bernie in race for "worst Rams columnist" title?

    I have to say, going by last years articles, Bernie is now nowhere near the worst Rams columnist. I used to hate his articles, and there was always a sly, unnecessary dig at someone here or there. But recently he has been a lot better. Maybe it's to do with the team being better than they have been in recent times, but I remember Bernie was pretty bad even back in 2003

  6. #6
    DVA
    DVA is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Jim Thomas trying to beat out Bernie in race for "worst Rams columnist" title?

    What do you have against Bernie and Thomas.. seems like a vendetta going back years... please let us know what happened between you and them ?

    Personally i don't see the problem especially as it comes at a time where there is little to talk about...

  7. #7
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,631
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Jim Thomas trying to beat out Bernie in race for "worst Rams columnist" title?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVA View Post
    What do you have against Bernie and Thomas.. seems like a vendetta going back years... please let us know what happened between you and them ?

    Personally i don't see the problem especially as it comes at a time where there is little to talk about...
    So... you registered in 2007, and THIS is the thread that prompted you to post for the first time?

    To answer your question, though, Bernie and Thomas abandoned me on the battlefield in 'Nam, and I've never been able to find it in my heart to forgive them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Glenrothes, SCOTLAND
    Posts
    9,965
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Jim Thomas trying to beat out Bernie in race for "worst Rams columnist" title?

    I would agree that BtD's writing is getting better but thats him now doing his job and reporting on FOOTBALL.


  9. #9
    AlphaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    a
    Posts
    2,521
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Jim Thomas trying to beat out Bernie in race for "worst Rams columnist" title?

    I have not found much in the St. Louis area journalism that makes go looking for articles to read.

    Pretty much, there has to be a hot topic that I would like to get more information to look at their stuff. Even then, I check them after checking several national sources. I haven't ever seen any of Barry's writing outside of anything he has posted here, so I do not lump him into the group.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #10
    Trevor's Avatar
    Trevor is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vicenza, Italy From Hagerstown, MD
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,296
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Jim Thomas trying to beat out Bernie in race for "worst Rams columnist" title?

    Don't get it, many of you guys keep bashing Bernie and other columnists, yet you still continue to read their articles. When I don't like someones work, I simply do not read it anymore.

  11. #11
    DVA
    DVA is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Jim Thomas trying to beat out Bernie in race for "worst Rams columnist" title?

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    So... you registered in 2007, and THIS is the thread that prompted you to post for the first time?

    To answer your question, though, Bernie and Thomas abandoned me on the battlefield in 'Nam, and I've never been able to find it in my heart to forgive them.
    Yes.... it irritated me enough to respond.... and your response to it is why i don;t bother posting....

  12. #12
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Jim Thomas trying to beat out Bernie in race for "worst Rams columnist" title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Don't get it, many of you guys keep bashing Bernie and other columnists, yet you still continue to read their articles. When I don't like someones work, I simply do not read it anymore.
    Well, it's not like there's a huge market filled with professional journalists who have the access and are paid to report specifically on St. Louis sports teams. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king and all that. I don't think there's anything wrong with complaining when a journalist isn't being very objective. A Rams fan shouldn't have to abstain from reading local coverage in order to make a point about dissatisfaction with the way the team is being covered.

  13. #13
    BEER's Avatar
    BEER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    896
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Jim Thomas trying to beat out Bernie in race for "worst Rams columnist" title?

    If he wrote this just to piss YOU off, why post anything about it? You love this stuff. You dont full me. Step away from the computer for a while dude, you need a break.

  14. #14
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,631
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Jim Thomas trying to beat out Bernie in race for "worst Rams columnist" title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Well, it's not like there's a huge market filled with professional journalists who have the access and are paid to report specifically on St. Louis sports teams. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king and all that. I don't think there's anything wrong with complaining when a journalist isn't being very objective. A Rams fan shouldn't have to abstain from reading local coverage in order to make a point about dissatisfaction with the way the team is being covered.
    Ironic as it may seen (given that he's a Pacific NW guy), I find that some of the best coverage of the Rams comes from Mike Sando at ESPN.

  15. #15
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,631
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Jim Thomas trying to beat out Bernie in race for "worst Rams columnist" title?

    Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    If he wrote this just to piss YOU off, why post anything about it? You love this stuff. You dont full me. Step away from the computer for a while dude, you need a break.
    I always find posts like this amusing. So what you're saying is, if I read something I disagree with or don't like I should just not respond...

    Well... thanks for your response about something YOU disagree with or don't like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: -12-26-2010, 08:02 PM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last Post: -11-12-2009, 12:54 AM
  3. Replies: 75
    Last Post: -04-18-2007, 04:39 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: -03-05-2007, 11:18 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: -11-14-2005, 06:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •