Molotov is offline Registered User

Jim Thomas is wrong. It will take 9 wins.

Jim Thomas is apparently unaware of the Divisional tie breaker procedures.

The Rams likely MUST win at Seattle on the final day of the season to wrap up the divisional title.

Right now, both teams are 5-6, but the Rams are 1-2 in the division. Seattle is 3-1. If Seattle beats the Rams, the worst the Seahawks can finish in the division is 4-2. And the best the Rams can finish in the division is 3-3. Another assumption is that a Seattle win in that game would earn the Seahawks at least 8 wins. So Seattle would win the tie breaker.

For the Rams to win the division with only 8 wins, they would need Seattle to enter that game with 6 wins, which is possible, but not likely.

A three-way tie with SF puts another twist on it. But without Gore, and a tough schedule, I doubt they get to 8 wins. The Niners are 2-1 in the division. Maybe I'll work out that scenario later.

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Re: Jim Thomas is wrong. It will take 9 wins.

What if we are 8-8 and Seattle is 7-9, or we are both 7-9 and we own the first tie-breaker which is we beat them twice?

Molotov is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TylerBishop View Post
    What if we are 8-8 and Seattle is 7-9, or we are both 7-9 and we own the first tie-breaker which is we beat them twice?
    That would mean we just beat Seattle, or they entered the game with 6 wins, which is what I said above.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I think 8 wins will do it after looking at our and the Hawks' schedules. Starting with them, they play Carolina(win), @SF(win), Atlanta(loss), @TB(loss), Rams. At best, they will end at 8-8, if they beat us at home in week 17.

For us, we play @Arizona(win), @NO(loss), KC(loss), SF(win), @Seattle. If this all comes to pass, we'll both be 7-8 going into the week 17 game. Winner takes the West crown.

Even if Seattle wins at TB and are 8-7 going into week 17, if we beat them, then we win the tiebreaker, being 2-0 against them. The only way that we get to the division games tiebreaker is if we are tied and have split our games. That would require a win against NO or KC, and then a loss against Seattle.

I stand by my thinking that as long as we sweep the rest of our division games, we pretty much control our destiny, and 8-8 will probably get us to the playoffs.
    I believe!

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Ok, I get it. you hate Jim Thomas and think he is the most worthless writer on the face of the earth. Everything he writes is pure garbage and it must be pointed out how there is no possible way he could ever be right, even when it is possible he could be. If we were to harp on every thing a sportswriter ever said that was wrong, we'd never talk about anything else. Maybe we could move on from posting everything Jim Thomas says to point out how it may be wrong if certain things happen that make it wrong.

I would say it is highly likely the winner of the division has 8 wins (if that). Seattle isn't looking so hot right now, but the Rams have some tough road games ahead. Stick a fork in the Cards, and ***** have an uphill battle without Gore and Troy Smith remembering that he is Troy Smith, not Michael Vick. It isn't unreasonable to think that only one team in the NFC West will reach 8 wins, and whichever team that is will be of course the winner of the division since division tiebreaker rules don't apply when you have the most wins.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

why is it unlikely that Seattle comes in to the season finale with 6 wins? Their next four games are home against Carolina, at San Fran, home against Atlanta and at Tampa. It's likely the only game they win is against Carolina. It's likely a 8-8 record could take the division.

Maybe you should check the schedule before you knock what Thomas said because he's making more sense than you.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Both teams currently at 5-6. Rams are 1-2 against the division, Hawks 3-1.

Rams Schedule
    12/5 at Arizona - W
    12/12 at New Orleans - L
    12/19 Kansas City - L
    12/26 San Francisco -W
    1/2 at Seattle - ?

Hawks Schedule
    12/5 Carolina - W
    12/12 at San Francisco - W
    12/19 Atlanta - L
    12/26 at Tampa Bay - L
    1/2 St. Louis - ?

So heading into the final game, both teams have a very realistic chance of being 7-8 going into that game with the winner taking the division at 8-8. The loser would be 7-9 and tie breakers won't matter. Heck it's even possible even the Hawks lose to the niners and they beat the Rams in the final game and they make the playoffs at 7-9. It's also possible for the niners to win 3 of their last 5 games, sweeping the division games and winning the division at 7-9. Anything can happen. The division winner could have 9 wins, but I don't see the Rams or Hawks winning 4 out of the last 5 or the niners winning out. 8-8, or 7-9 is much more probable.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

^ I could see the Rams winning 4 out of 5. The Hawks are playing terrible right now and the Bills can beat KC at home. Is it likely? I'm not sure but if any team has a chance to finish over .500 it's us.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

I dont like how all of you guys are counting wins; NO WIN IS CERTAIN IN THE NFL!!!