Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Jimmy Kennedy finally gets what he wants

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/53359/

He finally gets a starting position on the rebuilding defence.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Jimmy Kennedy finally gets what he wants

Thanks man! Great read!

Here is the full article:

Kennedy Preparing for Key Role
    Monday, April 3, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

The NFL education of Jimmy Kennedy began at the 2003 NFL Draft. Projected by many to go in the top 10 of the annual selection day, Kennedy fell to the Rams at No. 12 overall.

Since that time, Kennedy has learned plenty about the way the league works on and off the field. Now, as he enters his fourth season in the league, Kennedy is being asked to use all that he has learned in his two newest roles with the team.

After finishing an anemic 30th in the league in total defense last year, the Rams made it a point to clean house during the offseason. That started with the addition of coach Scott Linehan, defensive coordinator Jim Haslett and, for all intents and purposes, an entirely new coaching staff.

In a rush to clean up that defense, the Rams turned their attention and wallet to finding capable defenders on the free agent market. From watching film, one coach commented that as few as four Rams had done enough to merit starting positions for 2006.

After adding safety Corey Chavous, defensive tackle La’Roi Glover, cornerback Fakhir Brown and linebacker Will Witherspoon, the Rams defense had received its makeover. With those additions in the book, Kennedy was uncertain about where he stood.

But it didn’t take long for Kennedy to get acquainted with Haslett and find out exactly where he fits in the revamped defense.

“He has big plans for me right now,” Kennedy said. “I am moving to the nose guard spot. We are going to have fun, we are going to work hard, but we are definitely going to have a lot of fun out there.”

Kennedy had no problem with the news that he would become a full time nose guard after spending some time as the “three technique” in his first three seasons. Glover is the definition of a three technique, meaning he is more of a pass rushing type of tackle while the nose guard is more focused on taking on blockers and freeing linebackers to make tackles.

Kennedy has experience in both, working primarily as a swing man, playing the three technique when Ryan Pickett was on the field and moving to nose guard when Damione Lewis would come on.

Upon his arrival, Kennedy was viewed as somewhat of a luxury. He had been viewed as a bit of a steal considering where he was projected to go versus where he went and he was coming to a team that just two seasons earlier had drafted a pair of defensive tackles in Lewis and Pickett.

Now, the coaching staff isn’t the only thing that has gone through a serious makeover. Of that trio, only Kennedy remains with the Rams after Pickett signed with Green Bay and Lewis opted to go to Carolina.

With that, Kennedy quickly became the longest tenured Ram among the defensive tackles and the added expectation of becoming not only a full time nose guard, but also a full time leader for a defense in need of leadership.

“It’s definitely different,” Kennedy said. “I am used to coming in and talking to Ryan and Damione and Tyoka and those guys. It’s just different right now. I feel like I am one of those guys they are counting on to be a leader. When I came in I looked up to those guys because they were the veterans. Now, I feel like I am one of the veterans of the line.”

To truly become a leader, Kennedy knows that he will have to perform on the field as he never has before. Kennedy arrived at training camp a year ago in the best shape he had been in in sometime. He was finally injury free and ready to go.

It showed in the first part of the season as Kennedy showed the type of consistency the team had been hoping for. Kennedy’s performance tailed off some in the second half of the season as, unbeknownst to most; he attempted to play through a hernia. He finished the year with 53 tackles and four sacks.

With a legitimate chance to lock down a starting position, Kennedy views this as the year for a breakout.

“You know everyone has high hopes for you,” Kennedy said. “They brought in a bunch of guys that’s going to work with us and help me get to my full potential. There’s not going to be any bad mouthing or nothing like that. It’s a bunch of guys with one common goal. When you enjoy coming to work and doing what you do and you have great results then the sky is going to be the limit and that’s what I am looking forward to this year.”

One thing that could certainly help Kennedy meet his vast potential is the change from Bill Kollar to Brian Baker as defensive line coach. While Kollar was known for his brash, loud and outspoken coaching style, Baker comes with a reputation as an intense, yet non-abrasive coach.

While some players enjoyed Kollar’s ranting style, Kennedy wasn’t necessarily among that group, especially in his rookie season. Not that Kennedy has anything against the previous coaching staff. In fact, he said he appreciates what Kollar and the previous staff did for him.

That said, Kennedy is looking forward to a new beginning.

“It’s not a knock on (Kollar),” Kennedy said. “Some people can respond to that and some people can’t. It’s not like you have to always scream at everyone in order to get through to them. I’m looking forward to having a different look and a different outlook on the field.”

Of course, Haslett and Baker will attempt to change more than Kennedy and the defense’s approach. There will be definite changes in the way the defense attacks opponents.

This defense will be more attacking, mixing in elements of the 3-4 defense with a base 4-3 and even some hints of some other exotic blitzing attacks. One reason it was so difficult for the new coaches to identify the true talent on defense was the scheme the Rams played a season ago.

Some players were in such odd positions that it was nearly impossible to find out if they were good or not because of the places they were on the field.

“When I first came in and met coach Haslett and coach Baker, they said they didn’t watch too much film on me as an individual, they just watched as a team overall,” Kennedy said. “Those guys were pretty happy with what they saw on film. They really didn’t blame me for the things I did wrong because it was basically a part of the scheme that we had. They said we are going to do some things I like and some things I don’t like and we are going to have a lot of fun this year.”

Kennedy’s performance as the team’s nose guard and one of its leaders could go a long way in determining just how much fun is to be had.
    RamsFan16

Varg6 is offline Registered User

That's great, I expect a lot from this guy...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Make or break year for Jimmy. I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far though.

bigredman is offline Registered User

They really didn’t blame me for the things I did wrong because it was basically a part of the scheme that we had.
    I.E. Marmie. Good luck Seattle. He'll take good players and find a way to get even less out of them, just like he did in Arizona!

It sounds like the defensive players are really pumped about the new defense that will be installed. That's good news.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chiguy is offline Registered User

I'll remain skeptical -- I'll believe he's good when he proves it on the field.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

One article doesn't make him a great player. Let's face it, every off-season we read articles saying he had improved for some reason (not a rookie, matured, Dedicated himself in the weight room, etc).

I think about all the great excitement when he was drafted.. I'd love to see him turn into that player.

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

kennedy and hargrove seem to be the same type of players(i know different positions!) they streaky if they can both stretch out them streaks it will make a huge difference to our D next year!

fresh start for everyone on D lets hope its the start of something if not great then effective enough to let our O win games instead of chasing them!

thoey is offline Registered User

Anyone else remember hearing this:

Kennedy’s performance tailed off some in the second half of the season as, unbeknownst to most; he attempted to play through a hernia.
    Maybe I just missed it. From someone that has had a hernia, but never come close to playing at this level, I can't imagine being able to play effectively with one.

But, I agree. This is the year. Put up, or shut up.
    This space for rent...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

One reason it was so difficult for the new coaches to identify the true talent on defense was the scheme the Rams played a season ago.

Some players were in such odd positions that it was nearly impossible to find out if they were good or not because of the places they were on the field.
    Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall while Haslett and his staff were breaking down the film of Marmieball?

I wonder if they were laughing their heads off, or crying their eyes out.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    Anyone else remember hearing this:

Maybe I just missed it. From someone that has had a hernia, but never come close to playing at this level, I can't imagine being able to play effectively with one.

But, I agree. This is the year. Put up, or shut up.
    The injury bug just keeps taking bites out of Bear. In the first half of last season, Kennedy was on par with Pickett statistically speaking. If he can step up and stay healthy, I STILL (yes, I know I've said it every year) say Kennedy can be the long-term answer at NT.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

majorram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy
    I couldn't agree more!!!

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

Rambos is online now Registered User

One reason it was so difficult for the new coaches to identify the true talent on defense was the scheme the Rams played a season ago.

Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall while Haslett and his staff were breaking down the film of Marmieball?

I wonder if they were laughing their heads off, or crying their eyes out.

That’s what I was thinking, when other coaches can’t really tell if a player is out of position or not. This scheme must have really been unusual if they can’t identify what the hell we where trying to do.Did Martz let Marmie come in here and try a defensive scheme that no one had ever seen before? Thing could have been very different if we replaced Lovie with a proven DC, what a joke.

Marmieball LOL LOL LOL

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy
    This is surely his last chance! And I'm hoping for the best. Go Jimmy Kimmel!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    This is surely his last chance! And I'm hoping for the best. Go Jimmy Kimmel!!
    While Jimmy Kimmel is a great comedian in that next-door dirty-old-man neighbor kind of way......but I doubt he would hold up as our NT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast