Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tomahawk247
  • 1 Post By Judaxi

Thread: Jo Lonn Dunbar

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Jo Lonn Dunbar

I was finally able to rewatch last Sunday's game, and one player really stood out, Jo Lonn Dunbar. The crazy thing is, he could, depending on which part of the game you watch, be either the player of the game or a key reason why we lost.

Half way through the game I sent a text claiming that Dunbar was the best OLB the Rams have had since being in St. Louis. He made a great interception, and was very active in run support, a couple times gaining great penetration on tackles for loss.

If those plays were the "good", the bad and the ugly have to be his pass coverage in the fourth quarter. On their first td drive, Brandon Pettigrew went all beast mode on us. On each of his three receptions, he was the responsibility of Mr. Dunbar. Dunbar got caught looking inside twice, while the superior athlete Pettigrew ran right by him. And unfortunately we all know what happened on his most infamous play, Dunbar's eyes were once again stuck in the backfield while his man, Kevin Smith was running open in the flat for the game winner. He also was picked on several other times during that final two minute drive.

So, while Dunbar certainly showed flashes of his play making potential, his coverage late in the game was a huge liability. The Rams defense has certainly improved, but outside linebacker is still an uncertainty. I believe Jo Lonn can be an outstanding strong side linebacker, where his run stuffing will be best utilized. However I think he was extremely exposed as the second linebacker in nickel sets, the Rams still lack the speedy will linebacker that can run with the new era of athletic tightends in the NFL.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Jo Lonn Dunbar

I think the only consistent way to stop an LB from being abused by one of these monsters is to get to the QB. Otherwise,the modern TE = The Crane. If done right, no can defense, C-Mob-san.

I wouldn't give up on Dunbar as a pass defender. I like his awareness & decisiveness. True, he's been fooled on a couple of key occasions but he guessed right on a couple as well as you pointed out & has the athletic ability to make the play when he gets it right. Let's see how he does with a bit better D-line play which is so essential to this scheme, right ?

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I was finally able to rewatch last Sunday's game, and one player really stood out, Jo Lonn Dunbar. The crazy thing is, he could, depending on which part of the game you watch, be either the player of the game or a key reason why we lost.

Half way through the game I sent a text claiming that Dunbar was the best OLB the Rams have had since being in St. Louis. He made a great interception, and was very active in run support, a couple times gaining great penetration on tackles for loss.

If those plays were the "good", the bad and the ugly have to be his pass coverage in the fourth quarter. On their first td drive, Brandon Pettigrew went all beast mode on us. On each of his three receptions, he was the responsibility of Mr. Dunbar. Dunbar got caught looking inside twice, while the superior athlete Pettigrew ran right by him. And unfortunately we all know what happened on his most infamous play, Dunbar's eyes were once again stuck in the backfield while his man, Kevin Smith was running open in the flat for the game winner. He also was picked on several other times during that final two minute drive.

So, while Dunbar certainly showed flashes of his play making potential, his coverage late in the game was a huge liability. The Rams defense has certainly improved, but outside linebacker is still an uncertainty. I believe Jo Lonn can be an outstanding strong side linebacker, where his run stuffing will be best utilized. However I think he was extremely exposed as the second linebacker in nickel sets, the Rams still lack the speedy will linebacker that can run with the new era of athletic tightends in the NFL.
    We lost game because of ref gaffe, not because of Jon Lo Dunbar

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I have to say, the lineman illegally downfield on that Kevin Smith play most likely led to Dunbar thinking it was a run play.
    shower beers likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

In all actuality we lost this game by a split second. Another split second and Long would have sacked Stafford!!!!

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    We lost game because of ref gaffe, not because of Jon Lo Dunbar
    We lost that game because our Defense could not prevent two td drives. Did the ref mess up? Yes. Should we have put ourselves in a position so that we lose because of that mess up? Absolutely not.
    macrammer likes this.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

He's never been apt to pass coverage, he is known for being aggressive and being a beast in run support. He has bad habits when it comes to the passing game, so expect for teams to continue to target him.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    He's never been apt to pass coverage, he is known for being aggressive and being a beast in run support. He has bad habits when it comes to the passing game, so expect for teams to continue to target him.
    Dunbar was great this week, and if you guys noticed, was on a total mission to really get in RGIII's face. Which he did! Always with something to say to him etc...

RGIII at one point was heard to shout 'He's leading with his helmet!!' to the refs on one occasion, during which he was running outside the tackles and to the sidelines as J-Lo was trying to drill him!!!

The Play by play guys said that he needs to get used to it, because as soon as he starts to run down field defensive players will come at him helmet/shoulder/face first, and it aint' illegal!!!

So in other words; "Shut up rookie! Welcome to the NFL!!"
    Last edited by UK Ramfan 83; -09-18-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

By Ross Miles Pro Football Focus

The IDP Trade Desk is a weekly column that takes a look at some the key individual defensive players you need to either buy, hold, or sell.

BUY

Jo-Lonn Dunbar, LB – Rams

Dunbar was one of several players signed by St Louis Rams in the offseason, but not one of the most publicised. He quickly won the WILL job in the Fisher/Gregg Williams defensive scheme after having played for Williams in New Orleans, and has so far played 100% of the Rams defensive snaps. He has recorded 14 solos (three for a loss) and an interception through the first two weeks of the season, even outscoring James Laurinaitis in both tackle-heavy and big-play scoring systems. Although that will not continue over the whole season, Dunbar has flashed enough to be considered a solid LB3 from here on out.

For what it worth
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-18-2012 at 04:22 PM.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    By Ross Miles Pro Football Focus

The IDP Trade Desk is a weekly column that takes a look at some the key individual defensive players you need to either buy, hold, or sell.

BUY

Jo-Lonn Dunbar, LB – Rams

Dunbar was one of several players signed by St Louis Rams in the offseason, but not one of the most publicised. He quickly won the WILL job in the Fisher/Gregg Williams defensive scheme after having played for Williams in New Orleans, and has so far played 100% of the Rams defensive snaps. He has recorded 14 solos (three for a loss) and an interception through the first two weeks of the season, even outscoring James Laurinaitis in both tackle-heavy and big-play scoring systems. Although that will not continue over the whole season, Dunbar has flashed enough to be considered a solid LB3 from here on out.

For what it worth

I rest my case your honor . . .

( I guess he still thinks there's a bounty system!!!)

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Judaxi View Post
    We lost that game because our Defense could not prevent two td drives. Did the ref mess up? Yes. Should we have put ourselves in a position so that we lose because of that mess up? Absolutely not.
    I have to seriously disagree with this for two basic reasons. 1) If the refs don't mess up, we stop them. 2) Whose to say the refs won't mess up again when we do stop them, and throw an unnecessary roughness penalty to give them a first down after a great 3rd down stop? Say 3-17, hit the QB as he is running down the sidelines (in bound), and get flagged to late hit out of bounds?????

gap