Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Joe Vitt: Offensive Savant or Recipient of Undeserved Praise?

When taking over the team, Joe Vitt made the following statement as he noted that Steve Fairchild would be running the offense:

"I have nothing to do with this offense, I really donít."
    Nonetheless, he is getting all this praise for instilling a smashmouth offense (Blarney MrArse devoted most of an article to this)... as if there were any other choice with Bulger, Holt and Bruce out.

So...

Is Joe Vitt an offensive savant who, after years as a defensive coach has suddenly obtained a knack for putting his offensive personnel to its best use...or...

Is he getting praise for something that he has little to do with?

You be the judge.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Re: Joe Vitt: Offensive Savant or Recipient of Undeserved Praise?

I think dual credit should go to both Vitt and Fairchild. To me it seems Joe Vitt is the strategist telling Fairchild to run or pass, and Fairchild is the one calling the plays that seem to be working.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I give Vitt credit for the defense. This offense is all Fairchild, and I'm very impressed with what he has done.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I give Vitt credit for the defense. This offense is all Fairchild, and I'm very impressed with what he has done.
    Yea, I'd agree with this. The offense still feels very much like a Martz offense, which makes sense with Fairchild running it. The difference is the defense, it looks nothing like a Marmie D. I'm thinking Marmie is calling less and less of it every week............and it's working.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

caseycane is offline Registered User

As the head coach, Vitt is responsible for a gameplan. If tells the OC to run the ball, then he's gonna call alot of runs.

Like the players on the field, the coaching staff is also a team. They have to work together for success to be within grasp. Thus far, they are doing a much better job with Martz not being around.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Joe Vitt: "I have nothing to do with this offense, I really don’t."

I don't see where the discrepency is.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Tailgage-Mayor is offline Registered User

Vitt may not deserve the credit for the offensive success, but he sure deserves credit for motivating the entire team !!!

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Smile Re: Joe Vitt: Offensive Savant or Recipient of Undeserved Praise?

Quote Originally Posted by Tailgage-Mayor
    Vitt may not deserve the credit for the offensive success, but he sure deserves credit for motivating the entire team !!!
    I agree Vitt has helped the offense as well as the ST and defense by motivating them and keeping them focused and believing in themselves as a team. I believe as others are saying Vitt has had something to do with the D and maybe ST and has been hands off on the O. Fairchild has been handling the O and doing a damn good job.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think Vitt has been managing the game very well. If anyone noticed; when the showed shots of Vitt while the Rams were on O, he had his mic turned down. I definitely think that he has been calling the defensive game plays. They seem to be working, it's just a matter of the D executing more consistently.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

adarian_too is offline Registered User

I think the interesting thing at the moment is that Vittamin has presented Martz with a huge problem.

Should MM return as head coach of the Rams there is just no way that Vitt can be relegated below Marmie ever again ... not at this rate.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    I think the interesting thing at the moment is that Vittamin has presented Martz with a huge problem.

Should MM return as head coach of the Rams there is just no way that Vitt can be relegated below Marmie ever again ... not at this rate.
    That's a good thing isn't it.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    That's a good thing isn't it.
    No doubt. But I'm not sure M&M is up to replacing Mamrie with Vitt, so I'm afraid that Vitt may head elsewhere if his choice was to return to LB coach.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    No doubt. But I'm not sure M&M is up to replacing Mamrie with Vitt, so I'm afraid that Vitt may head elsewhere if his choice was to return to LB coach.
    Well somone needs to be up to it because it needs to be done.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Nonetheless, he is getting all this praise for instilling a smashmouth offense (Blarney MrArse devoted most of an article to this)... as if there were any other choice with Bulger, Holt and Bruce out.
    Here's the deal. Martz never handed the play calling duties over to fairchild. He kept saying he was going to, but never did. He held too tight a reign on this offense and the rest of the team suffered. How could he possibly focus on getting the special teams going, or any other facet of the team. Sure, he brought in Fairchild, but realistically was never going to hand over the play calling.

I'm beginning to think we are getting the best of both worlds....Martz' play book, with a real head coach. Not an offensive coordinator/head coach, defense coordinator and special teams coach working completely independent of each other.

Vitt came from the defensive side, but this teams needs discipline on all sides of the ball, and needs to start playing "smashmouth" football. It appears that is what he is bringing, so I say he is making a difference, even on the offense.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    Here's the deal. Martz never handed the play calling duties over to fairchild. He kept saying he was going to, but never did. He held too tight a reign on this offense and the rest of the team suffered. How could he possibly focus on getting the special teams going, or any other facet of the team. Sure, he brought in Fairchild, but realistically was never going to hand over the play calling.

I'm beginning to think we are getting the best of both worlds....Martz' play book, with a real head coach. Not an offensive coordinator/head coach, defense coordinator and special teams coach working completely independent of each other.

Vitt came from the defensive side, but this teams needs discipline on all sides of the ball, and needs to start playing "smashmouth" football. It appears that is what he is bringing, so I say he is making a difference, even on the offense.

all pretty valid points!Mike should give up a little of the play calling or maybe most of the play calling! Design the plays just let your oc do the play calling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast