Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

John Clayton does durgs

John Clayton compared the Buffalo Bills to the St. Louis Rams offense of old with Marshawn Lynch filling in the role of Marshall Faulk. The message of this post is don't do drugs kids

Rexi is offline Registered User

Re: John Clayton does durgs

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    John Clayton compared the Buffalo Bills to the St. Louis Rams offense of old with Marshawn Lynch filling in the role of Marshall Faulk. The message of this post is don't do drugs kids
    I actually think Lynch compares favorably to Faulk. lol

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rexi View Post
    I actually think Lynch compares favorably to Faulk. lol
    In some ways I can see the comparison, especially in the hands. However, Lynch's blocking skills, blitz pick-up and elusiveness are a far cry from Faulk's.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Come on, go easy on my man Clayton. John and I went to different schools together.
    Last edited by laram0; -06-13-2007 at 04:13 PM.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

How about the fact that Lynch has never seen a snap in the NFL? Either Clayton is on drugs or a bit ahead of his years.

Not to mention i don't think Lee Evans will be making the HOF and i can't for the life of me think of who the Bills' second WR is. Don't expect JP Losman to be leading them to any superbowls anytime soon.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    How about the fact that Lynch has never seen a snap in the NFL? Either Clayton is on drugs or a bit ahead of his years.

Not to mention i don't think Lee Evans will be making the HOF and i can't for the life of me think of who the Bills' second WR is. Don't expect JP Losman to be leading them to any superbowls anytime soon.

I have to disagree there. I think JP losman is an excellent young QB who continues to get better everyyear. Although I know he doesn't have the targets he needs to become something better quite yet.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well if the Bills are going to be the Rams of old, they're going to need J.P. to have a Warner-like rise from anonymity and at least two more good receivers. Losman might be on the rise, but he's still a long way from commanding that kind of an offense. I don't think it's that unreasonable to say that one back might fill a similar role to one of the greats--just as long as you don't insinuate that they are comparable talents.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

How about the fact that Lynch has never seen a snap in the NFL?
    So then I guess you're not in favor of comparing any incoming rookies to any current or former players at all?

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Comparing Lynch to Faulk is one thing, but comparing the conservative run first offense of the Bills to the GSOT is ridiculous

Rexi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    In some ways I can see the comparison, especially in the hands. However, Lynch's blocking skills, blitz pick-up and elusiveness are a far cry from Faulk's.
    I haven't seen much of Lynch in blocking to tell you the truth so I can't comment. But I think Lynch does compare favorably to Faulk, maybe not as elusive, but he might be as good or better in other aspects, a bit more of a run-oriented mind than Faulk was.

It's hard to call right now though, obviously.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Come on, go easy on my man Clayton. John and I went to different schools together.
    .. and still continue in different schools of thought?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So then I guess you're not in favor of comparing any incoming rookies to any current or former players at all?
    Fair enough.

But in my opinion, Clayton is insinuating that Lynch is somehow the only missing piece of the offense in Buffalo. I think we should wait and see how Lynch performs before making bold statements comparing like Clayton did.

From what the poster has said (and it may not be Clayton's exact words) "Lynch filling in the role of Marshall Faulk" implies that Lynch and Faulk are somehow interchangeable. My point was that it's a ridiculous statement because Lynch has never played a snap in the NFL. We don't even know (for certain) if he's capable of playing in the NFL, let alone making it to the HOF.

I'm all for comparing incoming rookies to veteran players if you want to compare their similar running styles, good hands, etc. But to imply that the two are going to have the same impact on the team at this point - it's a little early.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Gotta defend my boy Clayton here. I consider him the most reputable and dependable source when it comes to analyzing and reporting NFL news (alongside Howard Balzer). This whole thing's been taken out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by John Clayton
    The biggest reason for the comfort zone is continuity. This is only the second time in eight years the Bills' offense returned the same starting quarterback (Losman) and offensive coordinator (Steve Fairchild). Continuous change on offense is one of the reasons the Bills have been out of the playoffs seven consecutive years, tying the franchise's longest streak. Bills fans used to the K-Gun offense under Jim Kelly have seen mostly misfires since his retirement.
    The article was about how J.P. Losman is getting comfortable with the Bills' second-year offense, employed by offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild - a Mike Martz disciple. That's why he started comparing the offense to the Rams'...

For those trying to visualize the Bills' offense, you need to look to St. Louis. Fairchild brings the offense Mike Martz made famous with the Rams to Buffalo. Tempo and quickness are the keys to that system.
    No big deal. It's a reasonable connection.

So, any running back in that offense, Marshawn Lynch or not, would be taking on the role that Marshall Faulk played in the Martz offense. Kevin Jones is playing Marshall Faulk's role in Detroit right now; that doesn't mean I'm saying Jones is as good as Faulk or anywhere near it.

All Clayton was stating, as far as comparing Lynch to Faulk, is that Lynch brings more Faulk-like traits to the offense than McGahee did, particularly with his pass-catching abilities:

The interesting change is at running back. The Bills thought they had become too plodding in the backfield with Willis McGahee .... McGahee caught only 18 passes last year .... Enter first-round pick Marshawn Lynch, who brings more of a Marshall Faulk style to the Bills' backfield.

Lynch looked good catching the ball from the backfield. Though he doesn't have McGahee's power, Lynch can break a quick run up the middle when needed. He'll help with the passing offense first and settle into his running duties with a little more experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast
    John Clayton does durgs
    Again, I don't see the big deal. By the way, you spelled "drugs" wrong.

:l

-jake-
    Last edited by evil disco man; -06-14-2007 at 03:37 AM.

z.nrd Guest

Fair enough.

But in my opinion, Clayton is insinuating that Lynch is somehow the only missing piece of the offense in Buffalo. I think we should wait and see how Lynch performs before making bold statements comparing like Clayton did.

From what the poster has said (and it may not be Clayton's exact words) "Lynch filling in the role of Marshall Faulk" implies that Lynch and Faulk are somehow interchangeable. My point was that it's a ridiculous statement because Lynch has never played a snap in the NFL. We don't even know (for certain) if he's capable of playing in the NFL, let alone making it to the HOF.

I'm all for comparing incoming rookies to veteran players if you want to compare their similar running styles, good hands, etc. But to imply that the two are going to have the same impact on the team at this point - it's a little early.
    I, too, took that to mean that Lynch would be used in similar kinds of plays, not that he would have a Faulk-like impact or Faulk-like achievements. Just that Lynch would be used in the same way Faulk was used.

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

Hey! after watching some clips of lynch he does run like FAULK with simular moves and things. but that's about it, he lacks the leadership,character,love and the knowlegde of the game that MARSHALL FAULK was so known and respected for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast