Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

John Clayton says Ram's job NOT attractive

I saw John Clayton on ESPN and he did a piece on the MOST attractive NFL Head coaching vacancies.

He said after talking to many NFL head coaches and GMs:

1) Houston. With their young players, Reggie Bush and a good owner.

2) Minnesota. He said they are thought to be a very good team around the league.

3) Kansas City. Great Talent.

He was then asked about the Rams and he said it's NOT a very attractive job, BUT they're more attractive than New Orleans and Oakland.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: John Clayton says Ram's job NOT attractive

In other news, Clayton reports that the sun will in fact rise tomorrow, only to be followed by its setting sometime afterwards.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I dunno. I think a lot of the guys here would argue that the Rams would be more attractive to a prospective coach than Houston, Minnesota, or Green Bay.

And how many on here posted that an earlier draft pick was no biggie and didn't necessarily mean a better player. I say that in regard to Houston being attractive due to their draft position.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

With our playing talent on offense and the potential of some of our younger players on defense I really don't see how it's not an attractive option.

As a coach you have to look at our roster and think it's only a couple of seasons away from being competitive outside of any outstanding free agent additions. (but I don't see those coming thick and fast)

The only thing remotely unattractive about us is Shaw. One of our moderators even went so far as to call him "...grotesque..", and who am I to argue?

ramstiles is offline Registered User

If you are confident enough to be a HC you will think you can build a team despite the talent level of the team you take over. You can't build a good owner. If you become the rams HC and win a superbowl and get into the playoffs more often than not you might get sacked as the rams HC

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

In a related story, Rams officials reported that John Clayton is NOT attractive.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Draft Picks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    And how many on here posted that an earlier draft pick was no biggie and didn't necessarily mean a better player. I say that in regard to Houston being attractive due to their draft position.
    There is all the difference in the world between drafting a Reggie Bush and moving up a couple of notches farther down.

Well-managed teams find ways to get the "pearl of great price" when necessary. Denver did not have the top pick when they picked up Elway. Dallas traded with expansion Seattle in order to get Tony Dorsett. Mike Ditka traded an entire draft to get Ricky Williams (which shows that even the top pick rbs don't always pan out.)

Reggie Bush is an anomaly, he is that player who is so much better than the rest of the draft that he is worth trading up for. He is like Michael Vick, Lawrence Taylor and John Elway at the position, a clear cut likely top NFL player, a cut above everybody else in the draft.

When pundits talk about desireable teams to coach, it doesn't necessarily mean that the team is going to the Super Bowl anytime soon. It seems to simply mean that coaches prefer a position where the talent and upside potential is better than the team's record indicates.

In any event, Reggie Bush will likely be gone by pick #8.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

With our playing talent on offense and the potential of some of our younger players on defense I really don't see how it's not an attractive option.
    One word: SHAWGMUNT
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

in the espn show i saw clayton rated the 8 openings in order starting from the bottom up with texans on the bottom and the rams #3, the chiefs were #1 most attractive hc job .

LDJOHN55 is offline Registered User

It appears to my small understanding of the FO that our team's management has an ego that is only satisfied with being in power and control. I might be wrong, but what really led to Dick V leaving StL following his SB victory? Did he have beef with the FO? Did the General make a FO deal with the Devil to get the job only to be tossed out in a cowardly fashion this year?

I ask because those answers might be huge factors as to why some of our better players and coaches are gone.

I'm not smart in the goings on of other teams and inside moves, but why would an assistant coach prefer to remain with a team than come to our team as HC? The answer can't be that our team is too cheap to pay for quality.

Why did Lovie leave? Moreover, how did he gain success in such a short time? What structure is there for him that is not with our management? Is their real game plan to fail as long as they make money? Is there an underlying plot to sell the team out of StL? Are the spiralhorns headed back to LA? What's up?

You rocks, you stones, you worth than senseless things. Oh you hard hearts, you cruel men of Rome; knew you not Pompei?

Clayton Ranked Houston #1, and he mentioned Bob Fair or someone like that being an excellent owner. He mentioned the early draft picks and their overall youth.

I wouldn't even know the Texans owner's name if it weren't for Clayton naming him as a good owner.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    One word: SHAWGMUNT
    ...and there's the reason.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ESPN has a truncated video of the piece on ESPN.com right now

Clayton picks

Houston #1 - Bob McNair he says

Minnesota # 2

KC # 3

They edited it out after that and only mention the bottom two (or worst) openings.. N.O. and Oakland

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

They edited it out after that and only mention the bottom two (or worst) openings.. N.O. and Oakland
    It's sad, but I see Clayton's point with these two. One of them has had to deal with periods of anarchy and lawlessness in the streets while authorities try to regain some semblance of civilization, and the other got hit by a hurricane.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    It's sad, but I see Clayton's point with these two. One of them has had to deal with periods of anarchy and lawlessness in the streets while authorities try to regain some semblance of civilization, and the other got hit by a hurricane.
    Good one!

I was surprised DETroit wasn't mentioned at the bottom though. Hard to beleive there's two teams less attractive than DET.
    Those fans are ready for a revolt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast