Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jjfehr is offline Registered User

John Madden sucks!

Is it just me, or is this guy just the worst thing to happen to football. I get so sick of hearing his mouth all game long! He has nothing to say that isn't common knowledge. I would have loved to watch the rest of the game today, however, I had to shut it off because I was sick of hearing hsi fat mouth! I would love to get this guy out of the booth so I can enjoy football again. Anyone with me?

Madden Sucks!

gem18ram is offline Registered User
    I agree. Here's what I do, I turn down the volume and listen to the game from the internet.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

AGREE

They need to find a new #1 crew for Fox. They both are so irritaiting its almost painful to listen to the game.:angryram:

MsWistRAM is offline Registered User
    I'm one of the lucky ones. Since the Rams hold training camp here, one of the local radio stations carries the games, so I have the luxury of muting old John and tuning into Jack Snow and Steve Savard. Madden is just too maddening. Got to admit, the guy is aptly named.
    MsWistRAM-Hope, not expectation.

gdive22 is offline Registered User

Madden & Summerall Suck

Even though Madden annoys me at times also, I have more of a problem with Summerall. He makes mistakes all the time!! He almost never identifies whose making the plays the first time and is constantly late or wrong in telling what's happening in the game. It's like having Stevie Wonder doing the broadcast.....I don't think he can actually see anything on the field. Fox is long overdue in putting him out to pasture.

majorram is offline Registered User
    I'm the same gdive22, Summerall aways makes mistakes, he just gets confussed, were on the next play before he's told us about the last!! AND Madden I think die about FOUR YEARS ago and FOX just bring him out of the cupboard on sundays......

RAMS FOREVER!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I can't say he sucks....but

I think he has seen better days. C'mon, who didn't grow up listening to these guys and thinking they were just as much a part of the game as the players? At the height of their career, they were great. Now, they are old and slow. It's like watching an athlete play too long, it just dosen't work anymore.

I love these guys, they have brought me loads of enjoyment over the years. However, Joe Buck is the best announcer in the media today. Team him up with someone like Troy Aikman and they make a great tandem.

jjfehr is offline Registered User

Madden sucks!

Anyone interested in getting rid of Madden? Lets start a campaign to rid him of ruining our Sunday entertainment. Lets start by spreading the simple quote "Madden Sucks" Add it to your signatures, and tell everyone that you know. If we do this I'm confident that we can get rid of him in a years time! This is not a joke, I have decided to post this to alot of forums and start the ball rolling. After the snowball effect takes over, I have $5,000 to do some good marketing for the campaign! We need to get the ball rolling before I spend any money because $5,000 now would be a waste, however the $5,000 and the plan that I have will be all we need once the ball is rolling.
    Madden Sucks!

ramsownall is offline Registered User
    My resolution is GOING to the games, so I don't have to worry about it.

:angryram:
    -ramsownall
    Super Bowl XXXIV (soon XXXVI) CHAMPS!
    :shield: RAMS! :shield:

Mr.Blond Guest
    I have to agree with gdive and TxRamfan. I grew up with Madden and I think he does a great job, however Summerall leaves lots to be desired. Steve Savard and Jack Snow are even better, i've listened on the Interenet and they are very entertaining and smart. I'd keep Madden, but hire Savard and Snow to do their own show on tv.

Stlraminthebowl is offline Registered User

I feel bad for these guys, it's hard to look their way when they're on camera before each game. They've just gotten too old and delayed that they make the game so boring and lifeless it is almost difficult to watch (how could it be hard to watch the rams?) They need to get some new guys in Pat and John's seats soon, who do you think they should pick?

RealRam is online now Registered User

Forced retirement...

Kurt Gowdy, Jack Buck, Frank Gifford (mid-late 60s), Jack Scott, Dick Stockton. I used to like listening to them. I enjoyed their colorful play-by-play commentaries. Howard Cosell? Ahhh, [NOT.]

This is probably the last season for Pat Summeral.

I think he and Madden had done a great job up to a couple of years ago by virtue of their voices, their knowledge of the game and their knack for making many an NFL game an "instant classic." Throughout a couple of decades they were usually given the week's best games.

But inevitably, time takes its toll.

The older we get (ok, I'll speak for myself)... the more distracted we become; we're not into as much detail as we used to, nor are we as enthusiastic about it all -- at least as the higher percentile of youthful fans is concerned. It becomes a little harder to keep up with all the hype and hoopla that is so natural to American sports, particularly as professional sporstcasters. It may even be a bit more difficult to hold the microphone -- or the famous peripheral graphics pen -- with a steady hand on TV.

The spark in this duo's narratives is not the same. Its required intensity may be burned out enough to call for retirement, perhaps a forced one. It's been a good show.

And these two gentlemen know it.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Fox splitting Summerall, Madden after Super Bowl

Tuesday, January 22
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Pat Summerall and John Madden won't be in the booth together next season, The Associated Press learned Tuesday.

Summerall's announcement that he's leaving his longtime NFL broadcast partner after the Super Bowl was to come in a conference call with reporters Tuesday afternoon, two industry sources said on condition of anonymity.

The sources said they did not know whether Summerall will remain at Fox with a new announcing partner.

Summerall's play-by-play and Madden's color analysis have combined to form one of pro football's signature announcing teams. This season is their 21st together in the booth. Both moved from CBS to Fox Sports in 1994.

They will call Fox's telecast of the Super Bowl on Feb. 3. It will be Summerall's 17th Super Bowl broadcast.

He has been associated with the NFL for half a century as a player and announcer.

His TV career began in 1961 at CBS, where he later was teamed with Madden.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

Thanks for the memories...

From NFL.com, Friday Jan. 25, 2002:

[Quote] Unrelated side note: Remember back when your favorite team was down in the dumps and you'd have some bottom-of-the-barrel announcers calling the game? You knew your team had reached the big time when Madden and Pat Summerall were in the booth. For that, we'll miss the duo. [end quote]

I'm glad they did broadcast some Rams games as our team developed into one the greatest of all time (1999-2001 ...and counting). As broadcasters they've covered many, many player changes.

As mentioned a few posts earlier, Summerall-Madden would usually get the week's best matchup. And now the Rams have definitely delivered!

Gentlemen, thanks for the fine NFL memories. :cool:

Speaking of memories...

Not that I want to keep harping on this one but...

I think I'm going to remember for a long time John Madden's spontaneous "McNabb dropped the ball!" after the Eagles' QB fumbled during their very first pass attempt yesterday.

Madden / Summerall were trying to find out what had happened after Leonard Little came storming'n-closing in around right tackle and, suddenly, the ball is on the turf being coverd by Rams DT B. Young!

Rams Dee signal they have it, officials' signals agree and the crowd ROARS!

Hee-hee-hee. Madden's unmistakable voice, "McNabb dropped the ball!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast