RamWraith is offline Registered User

Jokes get old fast for Rams, Chandler

By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Thursday, Dec. 09 2004

Rams coach Mike Martz isn't a big fan of the Chris Chandler age jokes.

"He's not 500 years old," Martz said Wednesday. "I think he's 38. It doesn't
    matter how old he is. He can play."

Actually, Chandler is 39. This is his 17th season in the National Football
    League. He has played for seven NFL teams, including two stints with the Rams.
    On Sunday he makes his 151st NFL start, 154th if you count playoffs, replacing
    the injured Marc Bulger against Carolina.

When punter Sean Landeta was released two weeks ago, Chandler became the oldest
    player on the Rams' roster. The "old man" jokes only intensified.

"You name it, I get all kinds of things," Chandler said. "We saw Steve Bono
    walking off the field Sunday, and Marshall (Faulk) kept asking me if I came in
    the league before Steve Bono did."

Bono, now an alumni coordinator for the San Francisco *****, came into the NFL
    in 1985, just three seasons before Chandler's rookie season in Indianapolis.

"Actually, nowadays, I laugh at it," Chandler said. "A few years ago, it would
    kind of bother me. But being as old as I am, and being in the league as long as
    I have been, and playing at the level I'm playing at, I kind of hang my hat on
    that now."

Despite spending much of his career with lousy teams, Chandler has made two Pro
    Bowls and played in a Super Bowl. He has thrown more than 4,000 passes. At this
    stage of his football like, he feels that he has nothing to prove. He no longer
    worries about stats.

"Now I'm playing to have fun for myself," Chandler said. "But mainly, I'm
    playing for all the other guys in this locker room. They're counting on me, and
    the only thing I want to do is stand up for those guys."

The Rams certainly need Chandler to stand up and make something happen. Bulger
    could miss a couple of games, and the team is in the thick of a playoff race
    despite a 6-6 record.

"That's the best thing about it," Chandler said. "We're playing a meaningful
    game in December, and there's a lot of teams who aren't. So that's what makes
    it a lot more exciting."

Until Bulger went down with a bruised throwing shoulder late in the first
    quarter against San Francisco, Chandler hadn't thrown a pass this season. He
    served as Jeff Wilkins' holder against New England and Seattle early last month
    when Dane Looker was sidelined with a sprained ankle. But that was it for
    playing time.

After three months of serving as the scout team quarterback, running plays of
    each week's opponent against the Rams' starting defense, Chandler is now
    throwing to Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt in practice. There were some routes
    Chandler threw against the ***** that he hadn't thrown since preseason and
    training camp. All that has changed this week, his first full week of practice
    with the starters.

"It should help a ton," Chandler said. "Mental reps are great, but mental reps
    plus the physical part is that much better."

The Rams offense isn't one that can be picked up in a few weeks by a
    quarterback. It has its own timing and rhythm. That's one reason why Martz
    almost invariably goes with backup quarterbacks he has worked with before.

Although he worked with Chandler before, it was in 1994. So even with all his
    experience, Chandler took a while to absorb the system. But he's there now.

"The blitz stuff . . . the hot protections, he understands well enough to where
    it doesn't eliminate anything from our packages," Martz said. "There's nothing
    in our package right now in our passing game that we wouldn't carry (because of
    Chandler). In fact, it's a real heavy game plan this week."

Chandler played for Chicago last season, so he wasn't around for the Rams'
    double-overtime playoff loss to Carolina last season. Nor was he in front of
    his television set that day.

"I was playing golf all day in the desert," Chandler said. "I didn't see one
    snap of it. I heard about it. I heard it was maybe the best playoff game there
    has been."

Well, maybe not to Rams fans, who would like nothing better than some revenge
    Sunday.

"I'm sure everybody has that on their mind," Chandler said. "Not being a part
    of the team last year, I can't really speak on that. . . . For our fans it
    would be nice to get some, I don't know if revenge is the right word, but kind
    of get back at 'em."

Chris Chandler
    Height: 6-4
    Weight: 225
    NFL experience: 17 years
    Notable:
    Ranks fifth among active QBs in career completions, passing yards and TDs, and
    sixth in passing attempts.
    Has played and started for seven NFL teams.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Re: Jokes get old fast for Rams, Chandler

After three months of serving as the scout team quarterback
    That's just the stupidest thing I've ever heard....how can he prepared to come in and fill in for the injured starter like this. I'm not saying take away Bulger's reps with the first team, but you gotta give the backup some time so he stays sharp. And how the hell do you develop Smoker like this?
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    That's just the stupidest thing I've ever heard....how can he prepared to come in and fill in for the injured starter like this. I'm not saying take away Bulger's reps with the first team, but you gotta give the backup some time so he stays sharp. And how the hell do you develop Smoker like this?
    There's only so many people to work with. I don't like the sound of it either, but like you said, you don't want to take away reps for your starters. Short of doing that, what other choice do the Rams have?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Chandler said. "Not being a part of the team last year, I can't really speak on that. . . . For our fans it would be nice to get some, I don't know if revenge is the right word, but kind of get back at 'em."
    Alright Chandler, help us get those cats and flatten them. We owe them a good game and a loss.

Chris Chandler Ranks fifth among active QBs in career completions, passing yards and TDs, and sixth in passing attempts.
    Pretty good stats....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]