Thread: Jon Alston

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Jon Alston

Anyone else feel that Alston has been a wasted pick?

Picked in the third round, I know I thought the guy would be switched to SS. At 6' 221 he is very undersized for a Backer. We all ready had undersized LB's on the team and were in need of some bulk in the middle.
    His bio states that he was a special teams stand out in college, but hasn't suited up for one game this season.

So why was he selected?:x

JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Jon Alston

I wish I knew too to be honest with you. I was excited to get this guy, but who knows? When we had J.R. Reed, we all wanted him to play, and he played maybe once or twice and he was by far the best shot we had at Kick Returns. Now I'm not the coach there, and I'm sure there was a good reason, but it just seems odd that we'd go get him and never use him. Whenever I check reports I never really notice him being one of the guys to not suit up, so thats a good sign, but him not playing as of yet is just a mystery to me too. Hopefully we'll find out soon if he was a waste of a pick or not.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

viper is offline Registered User

The Rams said recently, that Alston missed most of the workouts this summer because he was still in school. Apparently, that put him way behind and unable to catch up.

I was excited about drafting him also and was hoping we would switch him to strong safety. I agree, we have enough small linebackers.

I'd like to see him get some playing time this year. At this point only time will tell.
    Last edited by viper; -12-08-2006 at 09:03 PM.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

I heard somewhere (possibly their official site) that he was working his way up, and could see a little playing time around the last couple of games.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I wonder if he's been asked to bulk up?

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

I'm sick and tired of the Rams having an undersized defence.. Receiver's and RB'S seem to be getting bigger and stronger and yet we still have comparitive midgets bouncing of them.. We need to beef up the line and I would move Spoon and bring a big MLB in to supplement Pisa.. As for moving player's positions I don't really think it works out very often,remember Two year's ago it was talked about moving Tinoisamoa to safety as well.. We also moved Furrey to safety and although he lead us last year in INT'S,it is safe to say he is a better WR as he is proving in Detroit now..:l

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think missing a significant part of the summer did set him back a ways in terms of earning a spot on the game day roster. Why did we draft him? He had 16 sacks in two years in college, he was the fastest linebacker at the Combine, and he had 31 reps on the bench. Despite his size, he even lined up at defensive end in obvious passing situations sometimes in college. He's a workout wonder, and he's presumably pretty smart, too.

I do worry that he'd be engulfed by blockers as a linebacker, but I'm curious about whether he couldn't play strong safety. When we first drafted him, I thought that we had taken him to fill the role Haslett had envisioned for Archuleta, another smallish linebacker in college who made the move to safety in the pros. Before Arch left, Haslett commented on how he could use Adam's ability as a blitzer, which seems to be one of Alston's strong points, too.

Country is offline Registered User

WE have to WLB in witherspoon and hawai 50. Alston should be moved to safety and would at least give us a run stopping presence there.

Nect Years Safeties

FS: Reggie Nelson
    SS: John Alston

That would be nice.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Yea, I agree. We should switch Alston to SS. Word is that in the Draft Workouts he looked better in Coverage than alot of Safeties did.
    RamsFan16

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I think missing a significant part of the summer did set him back a ways in terms of earning a spot on the game day roster. Why did we draft him? He had 16 sacks in two years in college, he was the fastest linebacker at the Combine, and he had 31 reps on the bench. Despite his size, he even lined up at defensive end in obvious passing situations sometimes in college. He's a workout wonder, and he's presumably pretty smart, too.

I do worry that he'd be engulfed by blockers as a linebacker, but I'm curious about whether he couldn't play strong safety. When we first drafted him, I thought that we had taken him to fill the role Haslett had envisioned for Archuleta, another smallish linebacker in college who made the move to safety in the pros. Before Arch left, Haslett commented on how he could use Adam's ability as a blitzer, which seems to be one of Alston's strong points, too.
    One thing that is very hard to measure is a players heart. Heart can make up for size in most cases.:r

general counsel is offline Registered User

i dont think he is a wasted pick. its too soon to tell. He wasnt expected to have an impact this year. At best,. he was going to play special teams and our special teams havent been a problem.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I don't think you can say that because he missed most of the summers work outs is the reason he isn't playing. If I remember correctly, didn't Hill miss as well.

BerlinThunder is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    I don't think you can say that because he missed most of the summers work outs is the reason he isn't playing. If I remember correctly, didn't Hill miss as well.
    No, Tye Hill just missed the start of the Training Camp because of contract holdout

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Yea, I agree. We should switch Alston to SS. Word is that in the Draft Workouts he looked better in Coverage than alot of Safeties did.
    I'm not that impressed with Chavous at the SS spot. With all the hype surrounding his signing I don't think he has played up to it. I'm not saying he's bad, just not the impact player I thought we'd be getting.

I would like to see a competition for both safety spots next year between Chavous, Atogwe, Alston, and Carter. May the best man win.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey