Thread: Jon Alston

snowbozo21 is offline Registered User

Jon Alston

I know we didn't hear much from Alston last season but, is he going to split playing time with, Corey Chavous this year? Does anyone have any information on this guy? He is listed at 6'0 221 and he seems to have a lot of potential. Hopefully he will have a breakout season this year.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: Jon Alston

I'd love to hear more about their thoughts on him and what his projected position still is for the team.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

According to the St. Louis Rams Official website. Jon Alston is listed as the back-up WLB behind Pisa. On the "unofficial" depth chart. ( dated 4/28/07)
    Last edited by laram0; -05-01-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'd love to hear more about their thoughts on him and what his projected position still is for the team.
    Alston to compete for the role of “Buck” end. He could be that edge rusher some of us where looking for In the draft.

NFL Draft Preview: Outside Linebacker
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

For most of his NFL career, Pisa Tinoisamoa has been one of the few things you can count on when it comes to the Rams’ defense.

No matter what injury or how many injuries or other extraneous factors, Tinoisamoa always found a way on to the field and was always productive.

Finally last season, for as tough as Tinoisamoa has been, he was unable to overcome the numerous injuries sustained to his shoulders, his elbows, his forearm, etc. Those injuries limited him to 11 games and he went on injured reserve for the first time in his career.

With Brandon Chillar handling the strong side position, the Rams turned to veteran Dexter Coakley in Tinoisamoa’s place. This offseason, the Rams have stayed fairly static at linebacker as Tinoisamoa recovers.

Heading into the NFL Draft, it isn’t likely the Rams will be searching for help at any of the outside linebacker positions, but they might be in the market for some additional depth on the roster.

Chillar and Tinoisamoa are expected to return at their usual positions and the Rams made a few moves to bolster the depth in free agency. At the top of that list was the signing of Carolina’s Chris Draft.

Draft brings the experience and versatility to play any of the three linebacker positions and is talented enough to compete for a starting job at either of the outside positions.

The Rams also have a pair of outside linebackers expected to compete for the role of “Buck” end. That player is used on third downs as a pass rusher lining up near the line of scrimmage.

Raonall Smith and Jon Alston will battle it out for that position. The team re-signed Smith earlier in the week, but he will be asked to compete for a roster spot. Alston came on late last season after getting a late start because of Stanford’s quarter system.

This year’s draft has a number of solid outside linebacker options, including probable first rounders in Florida State’s Lawrence Timmons, Penn State’s Paul Posluszny and Miami’s Jon Beason.

Should the Rams choose to add another linebacker in the draft, it will probably come late on the first day or the final four rounds. Hampton’s Justin Durant, Penn State’s Tim Shaw and Florida’s Earl Everett could be potential fits in the later rounds.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I would like to see him pack on about 10-15 lbs then he would be better suited to play LB/Rush End. Right now he's more of a LB/SS tweener.
    Last edited by RAMMAN68; -05-01-2007 at 02:19 PM.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

snowbozo21 is offline Registered User

I just hope we do something positive with this guy, I want him to make an impact on our team like O.J. has.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

He was a tremendous talent at Stanford, and I hope that he can translate that to NFL success.

blood85 is offline Registered User

If he could help us in anyway, that translated into wins, that would be awesome.

Country is offline Registered User

Alston might start at WLB moving Pisa over to the SLB spot, which the Rams can get away with since they have increased size at DT with Carriker, Ryan and Jackson.

Ram-Genious Guest

Alston is the next Ray Lewis!!!! jk.. i do think he will be good for us down the road in his career.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    I would like to see him pack on about 10-15 lbs then he would be better suited to play LB/Rush End. Right now he's more of a LB/SS tweener.

That's right. Although he's the 'very athletic' type, it would seem Alston is not suited for a rusher unless this is in a blitzing mode (hopefully more effective than Archuleta).

But yes, perhaps Coach Haslett and Co. might find the right strategy to utilize Alston's abilities. I agree that he's in between a LB and S.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    Alston might start at WLB moving Pisa over to the SLB spot, which the Rams can get away with since they have increased size at DT with Carriker, Ryan and Jackson.
    If we do move the LBs around its only so we can bring in Chris Draft to start