Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 1 Post By GROUND DOG 39
  • 2 Post By Rambos
  • 2 Post By r8rh8rmike
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: Jon Gruden getting the itch to coach again....

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Jon Gruden getting the itch to coach again....

I don't know who here watched MNF last night, but reading between the tea leaves, he made another oft hand comment that was a joke, but nonetheless based on his comments last week I think we he wants to get back in the saddle and coach. He said "When I coach again, Im never punting to Drew Brees." This was in response to Mike Smiths decision to go for it on 4th n 1 vs the Saints earlier in the year because they were talking about next weeks MNF game.

For those that don't want Gruden because they feel he "took Dungy's team to the SB", remember this...who is the team that he played in the SB? Oh yeah the Oakland Raiders who he had coached for the last 5 years. So then by your standard of thinking, he coached a team to the SB that wasn't his, yet the team he built still made it to the SB as well, pretty impressive. Also for those that say he can't build a team look at the below quote:

In 2002, via a high-stakes trade that included Tampa Bay's 2002 and 2003 first-round draft picks, 2002 and 2004 second-round draft picks
    Hows someone supposed to build a team without their first round pick for two years, or second round pick for 2 of 3. Means the rosters only going to get older. He was kinda screwed w this trade that he had no bearing on.

Anyways, just my two cents. Whether he's on the Rams sideline or someone else's, I feel that Gruden will be back in the NFL next season after getting a big money coach contract.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Jon Gruden getting the itch to coach again....

Although I think the chances are slim and none, there's NO WAY I'd be upset if Jon Gruden coached the Rams- and I think anyone who feels differently must be pretty hard to please.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Imagine the buzz around Rams park IF Kroenke somehow persuaded "Chucky" to come here.?
    Gruden would be my personal choice as HC. Mainly because of his offensive background and his ability to help our QB.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

svh01 is offline Registered User

Gruden can kill a teams moral and he does not develop young players (his Raiders team was full of vets. Most of the players were older than him). I've said this several times on these boards. Living in Tampa you hear the horror stories of how his ego got in the way and how would mistreat the players based on his ego.He also drafted SEVERAL project and NONE of them panned out. He is not a good fit for a young team. Based on his comments he would already look at getting rid of Bradford for RG3, so do you really think he would fully invest in Bradford? Again check his history with QB's in Tampa.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I don't have a clue what HC will we get... Not sure about Stan as an owner. Is he going to spend huge money on a big name coach or is he going to hirer just another coordinator and hope he can become a HC. I'm sure he's is going to do something, but is anyone at all worried he will bring in someone that is a huge disappointment? Meaning a no name reach? I keep hearing guys name Fisher and Grudend but we don't have a clue what Stan is thinking... I hope our new owner first big move is not a big let down.
    THOLTFAN81 and macrammer like this.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I don't have a clue what HC will we get... Not sure about Stan as an owner. Is he going to spend huge money on a big name coach or is he going to hirer just another coordinator and hope he can become a HC. I'm sure he's is going to do something, but is anyone at all worried he will bring in someone that is a huge disappointment? Meaning a no name reach? I keep hearing guys name Fisher and Grudend but we don't have a clue what Stan is thinking... I hope our new owner first big move is not a big let down.
    This where i am at.....I have waited for new owner since the lady took over in 1978. We now have one......somebody I have no idea about other then his track record with other sports holdings and the fact his bank account is a smidge higher then mine! My fervent hope is he aggressively goes after this thing as soon as the season is OFFICIALLY over!

The weak NFC West does not look soe weak anymore EXCEPT for the RAMS. This guy needs to not just make moves but he needs the savvy to make the RIGHT moves out of the gate. I will take the silence from him as a sign of doing just that, taking time to set up the RIGHT moves.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I would love to see Gruden coaching the Rams. We need someone with an ego, someone who can't stomach losing and who will poke, prod, cajole, and will his players to get it done. As far as mistreating or being hard on players, I'm all for that too. This team needs it.

That said, I agree with NJ, the chances are slim and none.
    THOLTFAN81 and bradwill like this.

1980RAMS is offline Registered User

why would gruden come coach this horrible team....

unless he had complete control...

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I'll take Jon Gruden every day of the damn week. At the end of the day, this dude knows how to coach. Hes a boss.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'll take Jon Gruden every day of the damn week. At the end of the day, this dude knows how to coach. Hes a boss.
    In Chuck We Trust.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Heck no!!!!!!!!! ive always been against bringing in Gruden as HC for the Rams. He took a great team Dungy built and destroyed it. If there is one person i am truly against coaching this team(besides Spags) its Gruden.

P.A.S.S.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

His comment about Bradford on MNF was a little disturbing and got me thinking he might not believe in Sam.If that were to be the case i honestly wouldnt want him.Im in no shape or form ready to part ways with Bradford after this season and those who are considering it,well thats just bad business and plain stupid.So thats my take on him coaching us if he intends to spend our first round pick on a QB and bench Sam.....dont come anywhere near St Louis.It might of been a unbiased hypothetical situational suggestion that he made just as a pure analyst,which would be different but based on what he was saying for most of the game and how strongly he argued that when Jaws said he was implying Sam isnt the right man made me think he honestly had at the very least some doubt it in Sam.Again could be wrong and just over speculating,but i dont think so.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Wasn't Gruden kind of hard on Bradford during that joke of a pre-draft QB series he does? I don't remember exactly but I thought it kinda went like that. Also, the guy kinda seems like a douche.