r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Jones Is Sorry Rams Let Him Go

Jones is sorry Rams let him go

BY JIM THOMAS
    Saturday, March 31, 2012

There was a time before the free agency period when the Rams considered placing the transition tag on free-agent punter Donnie Jones to keep him in St. Louis.

Instead, Jones said, "I never heard anything from them. With them we had tried over the last year, year and a half to get an extension done. Especially last year. It was just a bunch of whatever.

"The five years I was there I enjoyed. My two children were born there, so I'm not going to look back it is what it is. That's the business."

After talking to Philadelphia and Dallas, Jones ended up signing with the Houston Texans. According to the Houston Chronicle, it's a one-year deal for $890,000.

"My whole thing is that you always want to go somewhere where they want you, they really want you to be a part of something," Jones said. "I guess in St. Louis they just didn't want that."

According to Jones, the Rams told his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, that they planned to select a punter in this year's draft.

"I heard it's a good draft class or whatever (for punters)," Jones said. "But as we all know, that's a crapshoot. When I came out there was a guy taken in the third round of the draft, and actually, Green Bay traded up to pick him. He might have played a year, two, maybe."

That was B.J. Sander of Ohio State, selected No. 87 overall in 2004. Sander lasted two seasons in the NFL, punting 64 times.

As for Jones, after joining the Rams as a restricted free agent in 2007 from Miami, he was among the league's top punters during his first four seasons in St. Louis. He ranked second in net punting (40.6 yards) and second in gross punting (47.3) over that period. In 2008, he became the first punter in NFL history to have a net average of 40-plus yards and a gross average of 50-plus in the same season. In 2009, he set a Rams mark with 34 punts inside the 20.

But things went awry in 2011, with the Rams allowing two touchdowns on punt returns (both to Arizona's Patrick Peterson) and Jones' net average dropping to 37.0, his lowest net since 2006 in Miami.

"Here's what happened," Jones said. "The contract stuff was a distraction, which I'm partially to blame for, but there was a lot of back and forth with that. I really thought we were going to get something done, and it never happened."

In addition, the coaches stressed directional kicking maybe overstressed it.

"I don't blame the coaches," Jones said. "They're looking for a way, I mean, we're trying to win games. They wanted every ball punted out of bounds. They basically didn't want a punt return to cost us another game. That's totally understandable. It's just a difficult task every time you get in there to punt the ball out of bounds, and still get a good yardage out of it."

Ram-blings

WR Jerricho Cotchery will pay a free-agent visit Tuesday to Rams Park. ... Gregg Williams will not appeal his "Bountygate" suspension, according to the NFL Network.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Re: Jones Is Sorry Rams Let Him Go

Uh, "The contract stuff was a distraction" is his excuse? And the fact that the coaches wanted him to actually kick a punt out of bounds and he couldn't do it leads me to believe Jones is just a one dimensional punter and we needed to go in another direction. Good luck Donnie with them down the middle of the field punts in Houston....

live4ramin is online now Registered User

We could have had five more years out of Donny had we ANY talent. Coaches included.

I thought he probably had a sore leg from punting so much, but he didn't address that.

See you Dude. You're probably in the playoffs this year with the Texicans.
    With all the gravitas of Jackie Treehorn.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

I personally thought he was the best punter that we've had in years. So a couple of mistakes in a game cost us, but so did crap tackling by special teams.

Some here were moaning that Jones should have made the prowl bowl numerous times.

Good luck Donnie, Rams loss is the Texans gain.

Spending a draft pick on a punter?!?! Come on!!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

There is blame on both ends here. The Rams have been horrible on special teams to varying degrees since Dick Vermeil left. And Jones never seemed to grasp that there is more to the position than just blasting the ball and outkicking your coverage. The Rams should've found a way to make this work. Guys with huge legs don't grow on trees.