r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Jordan Kent Works To Catch On As Receiver

Jordan Kent works to catch on as receiver

BY BILL COATS
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Of the 10 wide receivers competing for the five or six available spots on the Rams' final roster, Jordan Kent probably came into training camp near the bottom of the list of contenders. In three NFL seasons, he'd caught exactly one pass, a 5-yarder in last season's finale against San Francisco.

But now, nearly three weeks into camp, the 6-foot-4, 219-pound Kent appears to be firmly in the mix. He's displayed improved receiving skills, plus he has desirable versatility as a strong special-teams contributor and possibly as an emergency place-kicker.

"Not sure on the kicker thing yet," coach Steve Spagnuolo quipped after practice Tuesday morning. "But he's done some good things. He's made some big catches. He's a big body, works his butt off. He's everything you want intangible-wise."

Kent's athletic ability can't be disputed: He also played basketball and ran track at the University of Oregon. He didn't join the football squad until his junior year, so he's still learning the craft.

"Every (offseason) I just try to work on my hands and then really work on my route-running," said Kent, 26. "You just want to make sure you're looking the ball in every single time and everything feels automatic when you catch it. It's good to see that work pay off."

Kent is hoping that if he can prove himself to be a reliable receiver, his other talents will help earn him a job. He had two catches for 24 yards in Saturday's preseason opener.

"I think I need to continue to catch the ball consistently ... then also what I do on special teams is going to be really important. Because obviously if you're not a starter, you have to contribute on special teams," he said. "If I can go out there and make plays as a receiver and on special teams, that's going to give me the best shot."

As for the kicking ...

"Let me get a little bit more consistent," he said, laughing. "I had a good day today (filling in for the injured Josh Brown), but I need to put a couple of more good days back to back, and then we'll see how it goes."

o-line gets to work

With left tackle Rodger Saffold returning to practice a day after leaving early with a back injury, left guard Jacob Bell taking his first snaps in team drills since tweaking an abdominal muscle about two weeks ago, and Adam Goldberg taking over at right guard, where he's expected to start, the Rams' offensive line was intact for the first time during camp.

"When guys get out of position and you haven't practiced there, you don't look great on TV," like what happened Saturday in the 28-7 loss to Minnesota, when the Rams gave up six sacks, Bell said. "You've got to practice. You've got to play at your position."

Rounding out the front five were Jason Brown at center and Jason Smith at right tackle. "That's good to see," Spagnuolo said. "We're trying to get that thing smoothed out. So it was good to see those five guys in there today."

roach released

Safety David Roach, who played in 14 games for the Rams last season, was released after Tuesday morning's practice. His roster spot went to another safety, Brett Johnson.

The 6-foot-1, 194-pound Johnson, a University of California product, was signed by Buffalo in the spring as an undrafted rookie. He was cut by the Bills and later by Philadelphia.

RAM-BLINGS

Rookie defensive end George Selvie left the morning practice early with a strained muscle in his lower leg, and safety Kevin Payne "dinged" his knee, Spagnuolo said. Defensive end Victor Adeyanju sat out after injuring his knee Monday. ... One practice is scheduled for today, beginning at 1:30 p.m.

Rich86 is offline Registered User

Re: Jordan Kent Works To Catch On As Receiver

kent was a beast coming out of oregon. great size and speed, i think if he could make this team would be a great asset to the etam

RealRam is offline Registered User

Hopefully JK will develop his talent and become a good NFL receiver. Certainly is physically gifted to fit the big WR type.

Damned Ramz is offline Registered User

I like kent, it seems like all our receivers are small speedy guys, it would be nice to have jordan 6'4 kent for redzone situations...So many wideouts tho, who do you cut if they keep kent??

Right now this would be my opening day wr core:
    Avery, Robinson, Amandola, Gilyard, Burton, and Kent

would be kinda tough to cut gibson since he had a strech of a couple games where he played really well (before he got injured)...guess thats why HC get paid the big bucks