throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Josh Gordy

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

Josh Gordy

is he gonna play again next week if justin king is back?? i hope so... Justin king makes us look so bad....... kudos to gordy for the pick! and locking down the saints receivers!

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Re: Josh Gordy

I don't think there's anyway he doesn't suit up this week.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

He should def get more playing time that justin king thats for sure

itsguud is offline Registered User

Why is everyone so hard on J King. The guy has not only been our best pylon this year, he could get voted into the Pro Bowl for drills and practices the whole week! Might also be the only Ram to make it in.

I bet if we had a couple dozen more J Kings for practice we could double... no triple the confidence of our O for games!
    ZiaRam likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

In fairness to King, i dont know how much worse he is than any other #4 or #5 corner on an NFL roster. As a #1, its quite apparant that he couldnt cover a pregnant woman in a phone booth.

Meanwhile, i agree that Gordy was very impressive last week. Nice tackling in addition to coverage. I would love to see more of him and i think we will.

It should be interesting to watch Al Harris battle with Fitz this week. Whatever Harris loses in speed, he certainly makes up for with effort and attitude. We obviously would be a lot better off using Harris for depth rather than as a starter, but i love the way the guy plays. I count on him to do anything and everything to help us win. I wont be shocked if he resorts to the occassional eye gouge to try and slow down Fitz.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Yep, I would say he definitely deserves to be out there. I would not in the least rush to put JK back in the lineup.

Like someone said in another thread the other day, you can't spell Justin King without stinking
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Gordy obviously benefitted from a monster pass rush, but he was active, made the plays he had to, and far exceeded expectations. I'm really looking forward to seeing him get the opportunity to follow up what he did against the Saints.
    Rambos likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

If this guy can play solid football when our pass rush is having an off day, then I think we've solved part of our issue in CB depth.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    If this guy can play solid football when our pass rush is having an off day, then I think we've solved part of our issue in CB depth.
    Oh I think we already have. When Bartell, Fletcher, and Murphy come back, that's 3 CB's. Plus Gordy and Harris and M. Johnson, that's 6 CB's total. Bye bye Justin King.

Keenum is offline Registered User

One thought is, what benefit does it have for the team starting King over Gordy next week? We know King has struggled as a starting CB, while Gordy showed a lot of promise against one of the best QBs to play in the past several years. Marquis Johnson had a pretty darn good game as well, I say stick with the guys who performed well and let's see what they got!

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

i still believe we need to draft someone at CB though.. hopefully not a tye hill...

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Just remember that King is playing out of position. He has spent most of his time with the Rams playing inside over slot receivers. Being forced to play on the outside, it's no surprise he has struggled at times.

If Gordy can play well on the outside again, it allows King to go back to playing inside, where he can be useful
    live4ramin likes this.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Just remember that King is playing out of position. He has spent most of his time with the Rams playing inside over slot receivers. Being forced to play on the outside, it's no surprise he has struggled at times.
    Yes, thats true, its not in the least bit easy to play a position that you're not used to.However, at the end of the day, the goal is still to cover the man you are up against, no matter where you line up.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    Yes, thats true, its not in the least bit easy to play a position that you're not used to.However, at the end of the day, the goal is still to cover the man you are up against, no matter where you line up.
    Well there are quite a few differences to playing outside when compared to playing the slot.

For example, when playing the slot the receiver will usually be running short to intermediate routes, and the QB will be throwing the ball in front of you. 10 yard hook or out, pass to the hands of the WR, CB sees the ball and receiver the whole way and can make a play on the ball easier

Whereas playing outside, you will face receivers who sometimes go deep, and the ball will be thrown higher and longer, over the shoulder of the receiver, and over the head of the CB. The CB will have to turn and run to stay with the WR, but also try and look back for the ball to make sure he isn't called for PI.

What i have seen from King is that he struggles when the receiver goes deep and he has to turn and run. This was evident in the Baltimore game when he was roasted by Torrey Smith. Although King has the speed to stay with the WR, he isn't used to having his back to the ball.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

King might be better in the slot but he wasn't that good there either. He got absolutely burned opening day, by the Eagles, on a couple of occasions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast